Mt Barney southeast ridge

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Barney southeast ridge

Postby livetowalk83 » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 3:12 pm

Has anyone done southeast ridge lately ? Last time i did it was Australia day weekend and the track was quite badly eroded near the top of east peak and was becoming a bit dangerous in one particular section. Im planning on climbing Mt Barney tomorrow this time it will just be with my day pack but im undecided if i should attempt southeast ridge again due to the erosion.
livetowalk83
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Barney southeast ridge

Postby deafbrickie » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:03 am

It not a problem doing South East Ridge I mostly go down that route but need have experienced on rough terrain and it steep on upper of South East Ridge.
I'm not sure how bad the erosion is on South East now there were storm in January that blow lot trees down a few days after that I went up South East half way up turn back as there was other storm come.
Have fun on Mt Barney :)
deafbrickie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NA

Postby katamatsu » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:17 am

Has anyone done the south east ridge recently? I'm planning to go up this weekend and would like to know about conditions.
katamatsu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby iTool » Fri 06 May, 2016 9:02 pm

Went up SE ridge last weekend. It was my first trip up Barney, so I can't say if conditions have deteriorated or not. It was wet (from being in the clouds plus drizzle) so we ended up using a rope to get up the first slab, but after that it was just a case of slow and steady.
iTool
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby katamatsu » Sun 08 May, 2016 6:22 pm

Yeah, the conditions turned out to be fine for us. No different than when I did it over a year ago.
katamatsu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland