Northern QLD Mt Carbine Tableland

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Northern QLD Mt Carbine Tableland

Postby deafbrickie » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 10:30 am

I have been research about Mt Carbine Wet Tropics World Heritage Area how to access the mountain in rainforest.
I want to go reach Mt Carbine true summit as 5th highest in Queensland 1383 metres.
There are no tracks on the Mt Carbine Tableland but there were track to head of Mossman river old mine that didn't last long.
Do anyone know any kind of information about Mt Carbine and anybody ever been up there.
I am going to do Mt Carbine myself serious hiking in rainforest and letting Rangers know as they already know I am planing this and they have no idea about Mt Carbine above Mossman gorge.
I hope you have any ideal as I can chase up any info as it seen Mt Carbine is like a virgin peak.
I add photo from Google Earth and am excited to climb this mountain in rainforest in June this year 2016.
Attachments
image.png
deafbrickie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NA
Region: Queensland

Re: Northern QLD Mt Carbine Tableland

Postby nq111 » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 7:10 am

Hi deafbrickie,

That looks like a serious undertaking.

I haven't scoped it, but maybe look at using the Devil's Thumb (Manjal Jimalji) track just north of the gorge to get a clear run to the highlands, than traversing from there.

That country around there can be nightmare thick and wait-a-while in places.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby deafbrickie » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 7:23 am

There 2 way one is from Mt Spurgeon private land following creeks, I've got contact and other way is from Pinnacle on private land steep climb to top on Tableland find way in rainforest to Mt Carbine this one looking better.
There is 2 Devils Thumb I wouldn't use it to Mt Carbine.
It likely I will climb 2 Devils Thumb if I've got time and doing all QLD highest mountaiins in June/July School holiday.
deafbrickie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnnymacfnq » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 8:57 pm

Are you sure on that info mate? While the area is the Mt Carbine Tableland my map shows the highest peak as Mt Spurgeon at 1322?
johnnymacfnq
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby deafbrickie » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 7:29 am

Yes Mt Spurgeon is on private land and I'm doing that and walk all way to Black Mountain 1337m and 1.5 km East point 1348m unname mountain.
Mt Carbine otherwise name Saltwater Creek Ridge is 8 km away from Mt Spurgeon.
Easy is from Manjal Jimalji (Devils Thumb – marked as rock pinnacle on some maps) only 4 km walk in rainforest no track.
I will put ribbons pink on way in and take it out on return way out from Mt Carbine.
If you got experience then you welcome join on this serious walk :)
Look like good camp on rocky summit point 1355m South East Mt Carbine overnight trip.
deafbrickie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby misty_d » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi deafbrickie,

Just wondering how you ended up going with this proposed expedition?

I believe the high point you are referring to is located just north west of a place the locals call Mossman rock. Google earth EC says it is 1360m, which makes it higher than Thronton peak.

I havent been there yet, but its on the list of things to do.

I know a couple of people who have though.......and apparently its pretty darn thick! :) Not the best photo, but this shot is from Mossman rock : http://www.explorehiddenlandscapesnq.co ... 1c6w/i3twk

Just curious as to now how you faired?

Cheers
d

Ps; Ive attached a shot from the opposite side of the gorge......but the weather wasnt particularly condusive to investigating farther horizons.
Attachments
DSC01984.JPG
cloud9
misty_d
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland