Glasshouse Mountains Sunrise and Sunset Summits

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Glasshouse Mountains Sunrise and Sunset Summits

Postby fiendWithin » Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm planning to do at least two summits in the Glasshouse Mountains next Saturday. My aim is to be on the summit of one at sunrise and the summit of another at sunset, we'll probably do another in between too. I've walked a little in the area before but previously it has been with two young children so we've stuck to the circuit walks around the bottom. I'd love some recommendations for which peaks would be best for taking photos at the top and how difficult it's going to be ascending or descending in the dark (we'll have head torches).
fiendWithin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Glasshouse Mountains Sunrise and Sunset Summits

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 17 Jan, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi fiend,

This is a great idea - the glass house mountains make excellent places to see sunrises/sunsets!

Really any of them can be climbed for this purpose, although Beerwah and Tibrogargan are significantly more difficult than the others. Many serious injuries have occurred on these two mountains as they are popular with folks who don't normally climb mountains. In fact, I just read that a climber fell to his death on Tibro this morning: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... m7i39.html. Would suggest if you try Beerwah or Tibro that you are good with heights and have done some rock climbing before. Definitely avoid in the wet.

Mt Ngungun, Mt Beerburrum and Wild Horse Mountain are all easy with constructed tracks to the summit. If you haven't done any summit walks before they might be a good place to start with. I can personally vouch for Mt Elimbah as a great sunset spot (http://sirkingchampionmunch.blogspot.co ... eback.html) and although there is no formed track it is an easy and short walk through open bush. Also, there is no signage but there are at least two obvious tracks leading to the summit of Mt Tibberoowuccum, which also has nice views. Haven't done the others but from my understanding they are possible despite having no formed tracks. Really you can't go wrong, pick any two and enjoy the views!

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby fiendWithin » Sun 17 Jan, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks Munch,

That's sad to here about the man falling to his death this morning.

I've plenty of mountaineering experience but I'm not to sure about the two guys who are going with me. I'm thinking it might be best then to Mt Tibberoowuccum for sunrise and Mt Elimbah for sunset, since we'll be tackling parts in the dark and they look pretty harmless. I'm very keen to do Tibro, so we could do that after sunrise before it gets hot and when there will be good light.

Nice blog btw
fiendWithin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby cams » Mon 18 Jan, 2016 4:58 pm

The person that fell at Tibro wasn't a climber. I wouldn't let that put you off the walk. However, definitely not recommended in the dark if you aren't familiar with the route. Ngun Ngun is awesome for sunset because it lines up Coonowrin and Beerwah to the West(ish). The track is fine in the dark with a good torch, just be careful if you get caught right up on the top near the cliffs after dark.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby fiendWithin » Mon 18 Jan, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks Cams,

We decided today to stay in Currimundi, so Ngun Ngun would be pretty handy. Also from the look of the map it's a prime candidate for a great sunset location.
fiendWithin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Overlandman » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 5:59 pm

Rescues on the increase including sunset seekers

From ABC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-29/c ... ns/9371118
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 6:59 pm

Mmmm, Guided tours a future consideration...
Grab chains or clipping into life lines may be next....

The Buddha's belly section, when wet is a bit dicey though.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Queensland