Thorsborne Trail in December

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thorsborne Trail in December

Postby aversion » Mon 05 Oct, 2015 11:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm contemplating doing the Thorsborne Trail around Christmas/New Years so I have a few questions...
Is there anyone that can share their experience of walking at this time of year?
As far as weather goes, when it rains, will it rain all day or is it more of a short downpour?
Any tips, thoughts, anything that might help me make a decision?
Some of the hikes I've done include the Larapinta trail, Jatbula, Overland Track in Tassie and Kokoda in 4 1/2 days, so I think I'd be able to cope with conditions, but my other half would be joining me so I want to make sure it will be ok for her too.

Cheers
aversion
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Thorsborne Trail in December

Postby newhue » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 8:30 pm

I can't help you much but it will be very hot and humid. It was sticky enough in winter, I could not imagine summer. Sun screen, insect repellent, hot and sweaty, relentless bities and stingers in the water. I reckon do yourself a favour and find another walk.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 9:41 pm

As a rule, the humidity & temperature decrease a bit once the rains start. My experience has been that it tends more to a churning over of storm patterns than a steady & extended downpour.
One big issue is that sea swimming is not a good idea that time of year - stinger season.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Skid » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 12:50 pm

Expect it to be hot and humid! Also expect mozzies and sandflies.
You will be able to cool off in the creek at Little Ramsey and be able to swim at Zoe Falls and Mulligan Falls. Though I'm not sure the cool swimming holes will be enough to offset the heat while walking and the biting bugs.
Be careful that you don't scare your other half off of hiking with the weather.
If at all possible I'd reschedule for a cooler time of year. May through September would be better. Most of the times I've been there have been August/September.
Hope this helps.
Skid
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bauplenut » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 4:41 pm

Hot and very humid. May not be much running water about either, been very dry this year. If it rains that time of year may just be localised storm or downpour for short while. But you never know. Walks I have done over December / January up here have been stifling hot and very humid - sometimes unpleasant. Often I say after 'never again' that time of year. Beware of heat stress, it is difficult to cool down walking in that conditions.

The lagoon at Lttle Ramsay was in poor condition in May this year, and Warilla Creek had only small flow, so I think it may not be good in December, unless some decent rain occurs before. If Zoe and Mulligans Falls have any flow it would not be much.

My own opinion is not a good time of year to be hiking in the tropical north.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby aversion » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies! Might save the walk for a winter getaway instead :)
aversion
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Don R » Tue 13 Oct, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi Aversion,

I did the east coast of Hinch back in Dec 1985, before the Thorsborne Trail trashed it. Otherwise all my wanderings on the island were in winter or spring. It will be very hot. Water may be a problem, Take a slurp tube and cup,The middle of the day can be insufferable. Even in Sept conditions can be very trying. Good luck, watch your temperature and keep hydrated.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Thaddeus » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi I just did the Thorsborne trail with my partner in the second week of October this year. This was my fourth trip there. We took 5 days with a lay over day at Zoe Beach (well worth hanging out at the beach and the waterfall just inland). It was raining on our boat ride across the channel and kept raining for the first 3 days. Before starting the trip, I was concerned that there might be a water shortage for the first day as October marks the end of the dry season. (was a pretty dry dry season this year). On a previous trip I completed in November I was forced to drink out of muddy puddles for the first day until I reached some flowing creeks on the way to Zoe bay. I was glad I bought along my msr water filter. Anyway drinking water was not a problem and was freely available at most creek crossings. I live in Cairns and can say with out much hesitation that December/ January is the most hot and humid time of year. Walking along the beach sections of the track where there is a breeze is not so bad, but when you turn inland into the jungle things get quite steamy as there is no breeze except when you reach the top of a saddle. On one of my solo trips in November I was camped at Zoe bay and got flooded out in the middle of the night from the monsoonal rains. The nearest weather station at Lucinda recorded something like120mm over a couple of hours that same night. The heavy rainfall can make creek crossings dicey, especially Diamantia Creek above Mulligan Falls campsite and also make sections of track between Little Ramsey Bay and Zoe bay quite muddy as some of the track winds through low lying swamp and jungle.

For my second trip I created a custom digital map (1:100k scale) that I use in my Garmin Map 62s GPS. I have posted it on this site before but here it is again.
It is a KMZ file that can also be opened in Google Earth and will overlay the satellite image. The track marked in Red is from actual GPS track logs I took on my first trip.

Enjoy your adventure
Thad
Attachments
Thorsborne_Trail_Custom.kmz
Google Earth tip: go to options under the tools tab and insert a value of 1.5 in the elevation exaggeration field in the terrain section. Zoom in low above the surface to get a great 3D image of the islands' mountain range.
(945.81 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
Thaddeus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nq111 » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks Thadeus, some good info there.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius