Mount Barney

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Barney

Postby bÖbby » Tue 07 Jul, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey guys,
A few friends and I are planning to climb to the summit of Mt Barney in just over a week from now, I'm wondering if this is a realistic goal for inexperienced climbers, and whether it's doable with no specialized hiking equipment. Also is it a single day trip or does it require camping. I'm thinking of doing the South Ridge or SE Ridge, are these realistic for newbies?

Any other advice/tips etc. are more than welcome, I've been reading some track notes and trying to find out as much as I can before I go.

Thanks in advance, Bobby.
bÖbby
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mount Barney

Postby cams » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 5:36 pm

bÖbby wrote:Hey guys,
A few friends and I are planning to climb to the summit of Mt Barney in just over a week from now, I'm wondering if this is a realistic goal for inexperienced climbers, and whether it's doable with no specialized hiking equipment. Also is it a single day trip or does it require camping. I'm thinking of doing the South Ridge or SE Ridge, are these realistic for newbies?

Any other advice/tips etc. are more than welcome, I've been reading some track notes and trying to find out as much as I can before I go.

Thanks in advance, Bobby.

Hi Bobby,

It is certainly an ambitious goal for bushwalking noobs, but isn't necessarily unrealistic. Stick to the South ridge track up and back I'd say. This is the most common and well marked. Not too many navigation difficulties here (as long as the weather and visibility is good). It can just be a bit confusing coming back down to rum jungle which can be made much worse with fading light. So make sure you have plenty of light and have a hard cutoff time where you turn around and go back if you're not at the top.The weather can change quickly and cloud cover can come in fast, making navigation very difficult.

Apart from this, the main question is just on fitness. If you have a good fitness level then you shouldn't have too many troubles doing it in a day.

Gear wise, you don't need specific gear, but make sure you at least have the basics. At least some warm clothes, raincoat, first aid, good shoes and enough food/water.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby mickstuth » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Bobby,

I agree with Cams. Here is my blog about our hike up the South Ridge (First timers) in September 2015.

https://summitmax.wordpress.com/2015/09 ... ge-ascent/
mickstuth
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nungulba » Tue 24 May, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks for the trip notes, Mick. A couple of friends and I are planning to do this ridge in a few months time. Hope the conditions hold!
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby tomh » Tue 24 May, 2016 9:46 pm

With no previous experience use the South Ridge ('Peasants') route. For a day trip start as early as possible (say 5 am or first light which no doubt means camping locally the night before. Camping locally the night after is also a good idea so that you have recovered from the ascent and ready for the drive back.
When descending from east peak make sure you follow the track to the left (south) when you get back to Rum Jungle camp site. Turning right in error (i.e. going north) and heading down Barney Creek ...then realising you're lost... has been the reason for several emergency service rescues. It may seem an obvious error and easy to avoid ... but it happens.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nungulba » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 7:38 pm

I agree totally with previous comments by Cams & Tom. Have just returned from South Ridge; as I haven't climbed this route since circa 1972 it was interesting to note the increased difficulty of the climb due to substantial erosion of the track (are we loving this mountain to death???). And having reached the saddle between East and West Peak our group was faced with extensive vegetation regrowth (after successive fires) which chokes the slopes below East Peak: it took us about 1 and 1/2 hours to reach the summit - nearly as long as the climb up South Ridge!

Re the detour around the treacherous "slab" , this is steep but uneventful. Except where it peters out in a maze of windfall timber. Best here is to traverse back onto the ridge to the right, where the "regular" track is resumed. Unfortunately the detour is not obvious from the bottom of this section (should it be??)

This is a great walk - don't be deterred by snobbish attempts to denigrate it as fit only for "peasants".
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby iTool » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 7:08 pm

iTool
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Sammy38 » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 10:55 pm

Thanks iTool!
Once again I am gobsmacked how these people think or if they do ever think. Cannot comment on how prepared they were I.E Maps, survival gear, ropes etc but most likely seeing where they ended up they had no idea. Again very lucky to survive. And possibly the best advice to give them is when you think you are out of your depth turn back and enjoy the walk home rather than push ahead and come to grief and put others lives at risk.
Sammy38
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland