West Canungra Creek Circuit open?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

West Canungra Creek Circuit open?

Postby nevw » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi
a few of us are to visit Lamington NP at OReillys soon and last time we were there in 2014 the West Canungra Creek Circuit was closed due storm damage and the park was waiting for funding to fix the damage. If you have been on the track since, has it been completed and is the route essentially much the same as before?
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: West Canungra Creek Circuit open?

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi nevw,

I was at O'Reilly's last weekend - didn't do west canungra creek circuit, but it did appear to be open (no longer the orange mesh covering the entrance). I've not done the circuit before, but would suggest to take care as the creek crossings are reputed to be quite rough after heavy rain. I planned to do the Albert River circuit but had to turn back when I got to the first creek crossing and it looked a bit too dangerous for me (I assume this is due to the high rainfall we had the weekend before).

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nevw » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks Munch
we intended doing the Albert River circuit too if not too worn out, and welcome the note of caution as summer rainfall can have a big impact in se Qld tracks.
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bumper » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi Nevw,

I did the circuit early january, The track was fine then apart from a few trees down. After the rain we've had lately it might be impassable now.

Cheers Greg
bumper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nevw » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks, i will check with NP before booking accomodation.
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MJ1972 » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:09 am

This is a bit of a late answer, but yes, the West Canungra Creek Circuit is open, and it's quite worth doing, although great care should be taken on wet days. The fallen tree 6 km into the walk is still there, but from what I've heard, walkers have created trails around it so you no longer have to clamber over the trunk of the tree. There are a few low overhanging branches in the second half of the walk, as well as a few nasty slippery bits near the two small waterfalls before Elabana Falls. There's also one creek crossing that requires a bit of care, especially after rain. That said, it's a great walk -- highly recommended.
MJ1972
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland