Mt Bowen Permits

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Bowen Permits

Postby lpaju » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 9:44 am

We are planning to walk the Thorsborne Track in June and want to take the side trip up Mt Bowen. We've got friends who have done this so think that it's within our capabilities. We've been told that a separate permit is required to climb Mt Bowen, but can't find any information about how to apply for one. Did ring Queensland Parks, who said to call the Rainforest and Reef Information Centre who told me to email Queensland Parks. Who haven't responded.
Does anyone know if a separate permit is still a requirement, and if so, how to apply for one?
lpaju
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Bowen Permits

Postby Skid » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:20 pm

Yes, you still require a "mountain access permit".
Last time I got one I spoke with Julie Russell , Ranger, Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service,Phone: (07) 40668 779
Btw, Mount Bowen is much more challenging than the Thorsborne Trail. I wouldn't consider the mountain a 'side trip' (in the context I am used to anyway).
Also, just in case you were thinking about it... Don't attempt during the wet season...
Enjoy!

Feel free to PM if you have any qusetions.
Skid
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Bowen Permits

Postby lpaju » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks heaps Skid. Took me a while to remember to check, but in the end the number you gave me got me onto someone who knew what she was talking about and was able to put me onto someone else who can organise the permit. Looks like the Qld government has a similar style of park management to NSW. Great rangers doing their best with a crazy bureaucracy. Good that you could help me with a number that hooked me up to a ranger and not a call centre.

I'm expecting Mt Bowen to be a touch slog that's worth it in the end. I've got a couple of friends who have done it and they have given us a pretty realistic idea of what we are up for. We'll be up there in June, so hopefully the weather will be good.
lpaju
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Queensland