Mount Tibrogargan Pre Dawn

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Would you go up Mt Tibro before Dawn?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 2

Mount Tibrogargan Pre Dawn

Postby Andrew K » Tue 23 Dec, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi All,

A group of 3 of us plan to hike and scramble up Mt Tibrogargan in the next couple of weeks in time to catch the sunrise in the the morning.

We plan to start around 3:30am with good hiking boots, headlamps, backpacks of water and food and catch the sun at around 5am.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has done this before, or been up Mt Tibro at night time? Any lessons learnt or advice we should heed?

I've seen a few videos of people going up during the day without helmets, but I'm thinking these might be a good idea to bring along.

Is 3:30am a good start time or will we need more time?

We're all early 30's, fit and healthy.

Many Thanks in Advance,
Andrew
Andrew K
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mount Tibrogargan Pre Dawn

Postby tomh » Sat 27 Dec, 2014 10:31 am

Have not done tibro at night but would only do it with good moonlight
Lots of wide but steep rock slabs, could be a problem finding your footing with headlamp especially on the way down.
Suggest you try it out in daylight first. Takes about an hour to get to the top.
Rocks dislodged by those above certainly do happen so a helmet would be recommended.
There are walk descriptions; one is http://www.weekendnotes.com/climbing-mount-tibrogargan/
and a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coUTz2m5aGk
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Fri 02 Jan, 2015 2:00 pm

Agree with tomh, give it a shot during the day first. There is one section in particular that is very steep, can be an issue when there are lots of people doing it (although obviously not an issue in the dark). Would suggest 1-2 hours hike time from the start at night.

Other easier options in the area include Mt Beerburrum, Mt Tibberoowuccum and Mt Ngungun, these will all give you excellent sunrise opportunities without the steep section on tibro.

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Andrew K » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks guys! On your advice, and given that it had rained the previous night, we thought our first attempt should be in daylight.

There were a couple of hairy areas so I appreciate the concern, but it only took about 20-25 mins to get up so i think next time it could be a twilight job! :)

We still got a spectacular view and starting at 5am meant we avoided any traffic! Such a perfect view! :)

Next walk - MT Wellington in Tassie in 2 weeks time.

Here's a shot from the summit of Mt Tibro.
Attachments
Whitagram.png
View from Mt Tibrogargan
2015-01-05 19.56.44.jpg
Here's a slightly steep section.
2015-01-05 19.56.44.jpg (243.49 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
Andrew K
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 8:43 pm

Nice shots, glad to hear you enjoyed the trip
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jakemagnus13 » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 9:40 am

I did Tibro over the weekend, haven't previously climbed but watched a few videos showing the climb. I decided I wanted to go up to capture the sunrise so started the climb in pretty much total darkness at 4am. I knew there was a sheer face but actually getting to it was a little bit daunting but I was fine getting up with just my headtorch. I've previously done a bit of climbing but nothing serious, however, I would say I'm a confident climber. There were a couple of guys camped up there for the sunrise which would be a way easier option. The sunrise is well worth the climb! I would DEFINITELY recommend bringing some mozzie spray though, I got absolutely demolished by mozzies for 3 hours.
Attachments
IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3018.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
jakemagnus13
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland