Lamington at Easter

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lamington at Easter

Postby I Am The Ant » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 3:37 pm

My husband and I are planning on heading down to Lamington NP for Easter this year, and are hoping to cross quite a few walks off our list while we're there. We've got a campsite booked already on the 'Green Mountains' side (I'd originally planned on staying at the resort, but one look at the prices - still with shared facilities like a campsite - allowed me to change my mind on that front pretty quickly), so we'll only be tackling walks on that side of the park.

If anyone's going to be in the area during that time, feel free to let me know. There'll be two novice bushwalkers (and campers!) there, ready to tackle the trails (though we don't think we'll tackle the Border Track this time around, because there's the question of what to do with the car, which will still be at Green Mountains, and how to get back to the car, etc). :lol:

Ant..
I Am The Ant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Lamington at Easter

Postby prankphonecall » Thu 22 Jan, 2009 11:31 am

Depends how much time you've got, you could always walk to binna burra and camp the night then return back to green mountain (O'Reilley's). The border track itself is pretty bland though, you need to do the side trips or circuits to get the good stuff. If you get a chance, get down to castle crag, a nice razorback with stunning views over the Albert River catchment and The Lost World.
prankphonecall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby I Am The Ant » Thu 22 Jan, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for that, I'll add it to our list. We're going to try and get in as much of the half-day/day walks as we can (we're there for 3 nights/4 days). The one I really want to do is the Albert River Circuit. It's a similar distance to the Border Track, but its a return trip, which would save me having to organise our camping at Binna Burra (apparently you have to book well in advance at Easter at both the Lamington camps, though I only confirmed my booking last week and had no trouble getting a spot).

Ant..
I Am The Ant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 22 Jan, 2009 8:45 pm

It's been 8 years since I've hiked there, but from memory the Canungra River circuit is good. It's the one on the right as you hike to the edge of the Caldera from Binna Burra. Sorry I haven't got better info than that. It's a long day circuit that goes up to the edge of the crater, then turns right, and descends along side the Canungra River. Lots of waterfalls. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll see if I can get the exact name, etc.

Cheers, and enjoy!

EDIT- Toolona Creek Circuit- it was a bit easier than the other two big creek circuits.
the_camera_poser

Postby I Am The Ant » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 8:46 am

the_camera_poser wrote: It's a long day circuit that goes up to the edge of the crater, then turns right, and descends along side the Canungra River. Lots of waterfalls. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll see if I can get the exact name, etc.

Cheers, and enjoy!

EDIT- Toolona Creek Circuit- it was a bit easier than the other two big creek circuits.

It sounds like a lovely circuit, thanks for that. :) I'm a bit of a sucker for waterfalls. :wink: I'll definitely have to add it to my list of to do's.

Ant..
I Am The Ant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby scockburn » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi , I'm from up this way and go to Lamington often with Bne Bushwalkers Club. Do you only want to do 1/2 day walks. If you can fit it in, try to do an over nighter and get to Ratatat Hut (No Hut there now) from the Border Track. One of my favourites and if you can go a little further , push on to the Stinson Wreck. Quite a hard walk with some big ups but worth it . PM me if you need more info or some other great spots in the areas near by. Steve C
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland