Recommend an overnighter near Gold Coast

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Recommend an overnighter near Gold Coast

Postby Karlostavitch » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:16 am

Hi,

I'm planning to take my 5YO on his first overnighter, I have done some Springbrook walks with him and is very keen which tends to define ability at that age.

I was thinking of doing an old favourite at Mt Castle but I think it may be too technical for him and a little more exposure than I am comfortable with for his first hike.

I'd also probably want to keep it under or around 10km all up.

Anyone here have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Karlostavitch
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Recommend an overnighter near Gold Coast

Postby cams » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 2:18 pm

Echo Point at O'reilys? The good thing here is there is a long way and a shorter way to get there on the Albert River Circuit. If you go there and back the shorter way I think it is around 10km.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Karlostavitch » Mon 24 Jun, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Cams,

Thanks for the reply, have you camped at echo point before? Do you know if its usually busy or a popular camp spot?
Karlostavitch
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby cams » Tue 25 Jun, 2013 12:52 pm

I actually camped there as my first overnight walk with my dad too. I think I was a bit older than your son is now though. I've since walked past there numerous times as it is also the way to access the Southern Lamington Wilderness.

It is right next to the track on a fairly popular circuit (Albert River Circuit) so you'd get a bit of traffic going past but isn't very big so can only support a small number of walk in campers. I think you have to book it, so you should be able to guarantee that there will be a spot. The other bush campsite near there is Bithongabel. Also accessible by the track system. I think at most 2 or 3 tents can book these sites. So they should be nice and quiet and have a remote enough feel without venturing too far.
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby lukeyglasso » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 12:23 am

Karlostavitch

Due to all this rain expected over the next week being school holidays you might have an issue with leaches in The Lamington. Also, the tracks have been undergoing maintenance since the Australia Day storm's. 300 year old Antartic Beach and the other Giant trees were totally obliterated at the buttress's just to paint a picture in how severe the damage was to the park. I dont think the park is open yet (check so to save you the long drive).

Another option could be Mt Barney's Lower Portal campsites. Small up's and down's but a total of 8-10km return with running water next to the campsite. As your aware its the bush setting rather then moist rainforest following the current rain.

Have fun :)
lukeyglasso
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby findbuddha » Tue 09 Jul, 2013 4:30 pm

I've taken my son (4yo at the time) to the Lower Portal campsite. Worked well. Minor whingeing on the hills. I had to carry him through the creek though - if it had been any higher at the time I probably would have turned back.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland