The Steamers - Main Range

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Steamers - Main Range

Postby tracies » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi guys, we are looking at doing the Steamers on the weekend but are unsure of the access road conditions with the recent rain. We do not have 4WD. Has anyone done this walk recently or has any knowledge of what our chances are? Thanks
tracies
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: The Steamers - Main Range

Postby hunsta » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 10:13 am

I hope you have better luck getting out than we are having getting to our spots up this way. Look forward to a trip report and pics if you make it.
Craig
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tracies » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks we have decided to climb Mt Maroon and Mt May on the way home instead. Might give Steamers a go over Easter. Tracie
tracies
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tomh » Fri 08 Mar, 2013 6:00 pm

Mt. Maroon - Cotswold track is closed
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/park-alerts/11774.html
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pteropus » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:06 am

Hi tracies. I did The Steamers last year and though the drive in is on a reasonably good dirt road, there are several creek crossings that would impede driving up the road in a 2wd vehicle after rains. We went in a particularly dry period and the creeks were low, but I reckon they would rise quite high. Also, the road could potentially get quite muddy. Definitely a road to drive on when it is dry in my opinion.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby cams » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 10:43 am

Pteropus wrote:Hi tracies. I did The Steamers last year and though the drive in is on a reasonably good dirt road, there are several creek crossings that would impede driving up the road in a 2wd vehicle after rains. We went in a particularly dry period and the creeks were low, but I reckon they would rise quite high. Also, the road could potentially get quite muddy. Definitely a road to drive on when it is dry in my opinion.

I'll second that. We didn't make it in, in a 2wd Hyundai Tuscon. It has a bit better clearance than you're average car but still only FWD. There are some photos on my blog of the biggest creek crossings we go to.

We did get through this one.

Turned around here though.

It was overcast that day but I can't remember how much rain there had been leading up to that. Maybe Pteropus can compare to his trip in. The rest of the road seemed fine.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby kano » Mon 20 May, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi, we made it to the lincoln wreck carpark on the w/e just gone, 18/19 May. we were driving a toyota 1 tonner with limited slip diff. Going back in a couple of weeks to complete some investigations but agreed we would walk the last 2 km. After you go through the two gates at the property with the well manicured lawns park up. the last 2 ck. crossings are pretty much 4wd, the rest of the road including ck. crossings are fine. steady steady!
kano
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland