Book recommendation

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Book recommendation

Postby gbagua » Sat 20 Oct, 2012 9:17 pm

Which of the following two books would you recommend me for SE QLD hikes?

Bushpeople's Guide to Bushwalking In Southern Queensland (2nd edition).
Take A Walk in South-East Queensland (2nd edition)

I heard the second book comes with numerous unclear instructions about the hikes, I mean as not being quite well detailed, so it's easy to get lost if your navigation skills are not sound or if you don't know the area well enough.

Cheers.
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Book recommendation

Postby tomh » Sun 21 Oct, 2012 4:18 pm

The Bushpeople's Guide has been out of print for a considerable time and you may only find copies in public libraries. It covers a wide range of walks, many of which would be unsuitable for inexperienced bushwalkers. I would disagree with what you heard about the Take A Walk books - although the walks provided are generally of the easier or moderate type, the Daly's go to some effort to make sure their walks are detailed clearly and simply enough to be followed by the newer bushwalker.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby maddog » Sun 21 Oct, 2012 4:51 pm

G'day gbagua,

If you can get your hands on it go for the Bushpeople's Guide. It is very informative and well written. I bought mine, in good condition, from a Christian bookstore somewhere down south (after persistent searching). The previous owner was a Robert Snelling.

Otherwise, you will find chapters have been helpfully reproduced online, e.g.

http://www.southee.com

Personally, I have found it difficult to become absorbed in any of the Take a Walk series.

Cheers
maddog

Region: New South Wales

Postby Pteropus » Sun 21 Oct, 2012 9:37 pm

I find the Take A Walk in SEQ book to be quite thorough. The book is just a guide though, and getting lost is generally not the books fault :wink: I haven't got a copy of the Bush People's guide, but a mate does. If you get a copy, hold onto it. They are apparently quite rare. Please correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I have heard that grid references in the bush people's guide are the old AGD66 map projection and not the current MGA94?
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby maddog » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 4:51 am

Pteropus wrote:grid references in the bush people's guide are the old AGD66 map projection and not the current MGA94?

The 2nd Edition was published in 1991, so the Bushpeople's Guide would be using the old AGD system. The AGD co-ordinates in the book are approx. 200m to the north-east of the now standard GDA / WSG94 / MGA94, which the user can adjust for. More information on all of this can be found at:

http://www.icsm.gov.au/gda/gdabroc1.pdf

If concerned, AGD can be converted to GDA with software, e.g.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/property-titl ... eful-tools
maddog

Postby cams » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 4:35 pm

If you haven't done much walking in SE Qld I'd go for Take a Walk. It is much more up to date and has a good range of difficulties. If you can get your hands on a Bushpeoples guide I'd use that as a secondary book. It has a lot of good information about some fairly remote and hard to reach places but access and route descriptions could be fairly out of date.
cams

Region: Tasmania

Postby maddog » Thu 25 Oct, 2012 7:12 pm

A copy of the Bushpeople's Guide is currently available from an Amazon seller for the impressive price of 114.19 USD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Cheers
maddog

Postby Pteropus » Thu 25 Oct, 2012 8:09 pm

Copy of Bushpeople's Guide for $114.19.....tell 'im he's dreamin! hahahahaa :lol:
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby maddog » Thu 25 Oct, 2012 8:42 pm

This was the only copy available for sale that I could find, and the price does not include postage from the US either. I am glad I was able to get mine in Australia, for much less than that (about $20-30 from memory).

It would be good if a 3rd edition was published, though if and until it is, the Bushpeople's guide will no doubt command a high price due to its scarcity and its quality as a reference text, and will probably hold its value better than most hiking gear too.

I would not be tempted to sell mine if you offered such a price for it.

Cheers
maddog

Return to Queensland