Ideal Tracks for beginners

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ideal Tracks for beginners

Postby cookie-monster » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 8:18 am

Ive wanted to get out of the 4x4 and do some bushwalking for years & decided its now or never
Can you guys recommend say 5 or 6 tracks in sth east qld in each difficulty
Easy tracks for beginners (we are both in our 30s of average fitness)
Medium tracks (once we feel we step up a level in fitness/experience)
Harder tracks- not mountain climbing, more places where we would probably need to go in a group & be quite fit

Thank you in advance
Aaron
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Ideal Tracks for beginners

Postby cams » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 9:02 am

Hi Aaron. Are you in Brisbane? What areas are you willing to travel to? Somewhere like Lamington has a massive range of tracks. Either Binna Burra or O'reilys. Starting from short beginner ones through to longer off track walks requiring fitness and navigation skills. I'd highly recommend the book Take a Walk in SE Qld. It has a big range of difficulty levels listed.

It also depends on what type of terrain and foliage you prefer. Lamington is mostly rainforest and has a bit of elevation so is quite cool all year round. Main Range and Moogerah Peaks have lots of good walks too. I'd recommend Mt. Greville as a moderate level walk. I know you said no mountain climbing but it really is an amazing place and it's no where near the scale of some of the bigger mountains like Barney. There are lots of beginner walks in the D'aguilar NP near Brisbane too.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby cookie-monster » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 9:23 am

thanks for repying!

yeah im in Coorparoo, brisbane.. i drive all over the sth east of qld for day/weekend trips 4x4ing. for example last weekend went to Gympie Forests sat and sun went to duck creek rd ( the 4x4 track of O'Reilys" ) sunday ( again..done that track a million times)

we are prepared to drive a few hours in any direction, thats part of the adventure.

just at the start i dont want to turn my partner off it by going too extreme too soon. its something we want to do to get back in nature ( both being country people stuck in the city) and also increase our fitness ( or lack of)

a lot of the tracks/np sound familiar from also having 4x4ing tracks there.

i guess it would be a good way of meeting other outdoors type people too along the way
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cookie-monster » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 9:24 am

is that book you recommended widely available at all?
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cookie-monster » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 9:26 am

sorry, just to clarify by no mountain climbing i was more exagerating.. as in no sheer cliff faces etc
mt warning, mt barney and mt superbus are on something i want to do this summer
just at first get our fitness level up
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cams » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 9:53 am

cookie-monster wrote:thanks for repying!

yeah im in Coorparoo, brisbane.. i drive all over the sth east of qld for day/weekend trips 4x4ing. for example last weekend went to Gympie Forests sat and sun went to duck creek rd ( the 4x4 track of O'Reilys" ) sunday ( again..done that track a million times)

we are prepared to drive a few hours in any direction, thats part of the adventure.

just at the start i dont want to turn my partner off it by going too extreme too soon. its something we want to do to get back in nature ( both being country people stuck in the city) and also increase our fitness ( or lack of)

a lot of the tracks/np sound familiar from also having 4x4ing tracks there.

i guess it would be a good way of meeting other outdoors type people too along the way

Yeah, that's a pretty packed weekend. It's great having a 4wd for getting to bushwalking destinations too.

cookie-monster wrote:is that book you recommended widely available at all?

Yep, you should be able to find it at most book stores or camping stores. If no where else has it the camping shops in the valley will have it for sure. If you haven't acquainted yourself with that line of shops it would be worth having a look anyway. Macpac, Paddy Palin, Mountain Design, K2 etc... Although, it is often an expensive exercise visiting there. They carry better quality lightweight camping and bushwalking gear than your average camping store or Anaconda.

cookie-monster wrote:sorry, just to clarify by no mountain climbing i was more exagerating.. as in no sheer cliff faces etc
mt warning, mt barney and mt superbus are on something i want to do this summer
just at first get our fitness level up

Ahh, yes. Well I'd definitely recommend Mt. Greville once you've eased yourselves into it a bit. Mt. Mitchell at Cunninghams gap is another easy to moderate walk with an awesome view at the end. White Rock conservation park near Redbank Plains has some nice short walks too and is fairly close. I could keep going there really is a lot to see just in SE Qld so definitely get that book and have a look.
cams

Postby ofuros » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 11:37 am

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/tambo ... ck-map.pdf
Short rainforest walks on Mt Tamborine then hit a cafe afterwards. :D

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/sprin ... t-maps.pdf
Springbrook. Lookout & lots of waterfalls, short and long circuits

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/main- ... ct2010.pdf
Behind beaudesert......main range goomburra section. Easy walks, stream crossings, waterfalls, ridge walk, lookouts
& 2 camping areas next to a creek to use as a base.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/main- ... part-a.pdf
Tracks to mountain summits at Cunninghams gap. Easy circuit, lookout & nice camp ground at Spicers gap.

Small selection of what can be found here....
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/index.php

Mt May... camp area at base. No water & bring your own wood.
Mt Maroon...heart pumper but views are great.
Queen Mary falls......easy short forest walk circuit to waterfalls, then return to picnic area.

Just to add to Cams info ... :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cookie-monster » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:44 pm

Id like to start off with treks that take a good couple hours return, but with well defined paths.after we notice our fitness levels increasing id like to move up a level, spend most of the day hiking. Overnights will be tough as we have animals at home waiting but in the near future when we can get them looked after, over night treks are on the cards. The dog usually comes with us everywhere so it will be sad to leave him behind.
I want to get that book asap, sounds great
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 1:07 pm

If you have trouble locating it, the book is also available online......http://www.takeawalk.com.au/
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cookie-monster » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 10:52 pm

We are really aiming to give Mt Barney a shot this summer.
Would someone be able to give us a list of say 5 hikes/trails to do in sth east qld before mt barney to get us in shape & experience.
From easiest to hardest so we can work our way towards that goal
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cookie-monster » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 11:55 am

did both circuits at Venman Bushland today, 10km. was great. never knew that place existed before stumbling upon it on some thread on here.
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dannnnn » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 12:24 pm

yeah venman is pretty nice :) go and check out lamington. daves creek circuit at binna birra is nice, and the coomera gorge / illinbah circuits are also fantastic.

the take a walk book is a good place to start. you can order it from their website and they'll post it to you. i think the authors live near coorparoo too :)
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 1:16 pm

Daisy Hill....next door to Venman, also has a interconnecting cobweb of tracks to walk on.
Make up your own length walks, from the car to the picnic table dash. :wink: .....or a undulating circuit of 8k's or more.
Used to get fit there myself.
You can also go have a dip in the quarry on hot, sweaty days.... :)
There also the Koala centre to drop in on.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cookie-monster » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 1:28 pm

i think i saw on the map there at the carpark this morning the neighbouring reserve allows dogs.. can anyone confirm this? i think it was called Neville ..... reserve. would love a good bush walk with my best mate, its his favourite hobby. he just wants to sniff everywhere and take in the scenery. being 12yo chasing wildlife is not his priority lol not that he could anyway. a brisk walk is as fast as it gets these days
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 1:35 pm

I see doggie pictures on the map.......
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/daisy ... venman.pdf

I've come across horses & their riders too....so I'm guessing you & your best mate are in luck.
It's an ideal training ground, so close to home.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cookie-monster » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 2:16 pm

Sounds perfect!
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tomh » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 2:34 pm

I know organised bushwalking is not for everybody, but it is a good place for beginners to start.
There are plenty of bushwalking clubs in SE Qld with experienced members who can advise you on a bushwalking plan with an end walk of Mt. Barney - and take you there.
What to take, where to go, how to navigate (generally the harder the walk the more difficult it is to find the way) and every walk graded for difficulty is part of normal club activity. You can find a list of clubs here http://www.bushwalkingqueensland.org.au/clubs_bne.php
Daves Creek, Venman etc are pleasant enough walks but little help if you want to climb Barney. I would suggest climbing Mts. Maroon and Greville, do either or an equivalent at least once a fortnight for about two months before climbing Barney. Don't climb Barney in mid-summer (~Dec/Jan) - usually too hot.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cookie-monster » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks for that advice!
Ill research those clubs as well as the 2 places you recommended to do prior to Mt Barney.
I didn't think about the heat to be honest. If that's the case we will push back our goal to climb barney to next autumn
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 8:46 am

Another option.....Karawatha forest has a maze of interconnected tracks, from a couple of km's up to around 10kms.
Its squashed inbetween Logan & Sunnybank Hills.
Ok for dogs too. Take them for a swim in the unused water filled quarry.
Just watch out for snickie snakes, lazing on the paths ...... :)

includes a basic map for download.
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/environm ... /index.htm

or for more tracks & lookouts behind the quarry, try this sites map. Larger, clearer map.(under the 'Forest' tab).
http://www.karawatha.com/

For a few other options around the city during the weekdays...before or after work.
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/environm ... /index.htm

Supposed to be a reflexology track in Sunnybank Hills too...which I have yet to check out. :wink:
Checked.....soles massaged by cool, lumpy bumpy rock path. 8)

Add some variety to your weekly physical routine, so your up for the challenge on your next weekend adventure...
or like me you'll be huff 'n & puff 'n on the first incline you come too. :lol:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cookie-monster » Sun 04 Nov, 2012 7:03 pm

been walking at night after work at Venman 2 to 3 times a week, mainly for its close proximity but am definitely keen for somewhere new. Also have done the Oreilys/Lamington walk that combines BoxForest Circuit with Elabana Falls aswell as today i climbed Mt Ngungun by myself ( packed with foreign students lol) loved it though. Am very keen to do more and more every weekend
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cookie-monster » Sun 04 Nov, 2012 7:21 pm

while i think of it ( instead of starting a new thread i thought id try here first)

Having done one ( very enjoyable) hike at both Glasshouse & Lamington, i am keen for more. Reading up online i get conflicting opinions.
Basically i want to try other routes/tracks at both but not wanting anything extreme BUT at the same time not too basic either. From say 2-8 hours is fine.. if anything id like it to push me more, but i guess the fact im inexperienced i should be careful with tracks that arent laid out well or are sheer cliff faces. Some reports say the other mountains at glasshouse are for experts only where others say dead easy...same with Lamington ( as in the longer tracks). im not sure which way to favour.
i bought the Take a Walk.... book ( and love it) however i get so excited by the descriptions of each walk i lose focus and cant determine if its past my level.
Any recommendations?

greatly appreciated people

p.s- just thought of another newbie question
what do you guys use for camping gear for over nighters? i ask cause being a 4x4er i use heavy canvas tents/swags but obviously hiking the lighter the better. just wondering what is considered standard and also how much it weighs
On long treks through thick forest are machetes/parangs needed? i know they arent allowed in national parks but im imaging they would come in handy on walks where not many people go on
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby maddog » Sun 04 Nov, 2012 8:16 pm

cookie-monster wrote:We are really aiming to give Mt Barney a shot this summer.
Would someone be able to give us a list of say 5 hikes/trails to do in sth east qld before mt barney to get us in shape & experience.
From easiest to hardest so we can work our way towards that goal

These ones are on well defined trails and would do for practice (though there are plenty of others):

1. Mount Warning (a hill with a little chain assisted climb at the end).
2. Ships Stern Circuit - Binna Burra section Lamington NP (a bit of distance plus a few hills).
3. West Canungra Creek / Box Forest Circuit / Toolona Creek / Albert River Circuit - Green Mountains section Lamington NP (a good distance).
4 Binna Burra to Green Mountains and return the next day (budget accommodation at camp ground, beer at O'Reilly's, and a good distance with a pack).
4. Mt Maroon (a hill with a good view of your next conquest - Barney).

Do all of these and you will have little trouble with Mt Barney Peasant's Trail. Or just go straight to Mt Maroon (Cotswold Track) and have a go.

Cheers
maddog

Region: New South Wales

Postby cookie-monster » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 9:07 am

googling now Mt Maroon/Cotswold Track
thanks for your advice
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cams » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 10:02 am

cookie-monster wrote:while i think of it ( instead of starting a new thread i thought id try here first)

Having done one ( very enjoyable) hike at both Glasshouse & Lamington, i am keen for more. Reading up online i get conflicting opinions.
Basically i want to try other routes/tracks at both but not wanting anything extreme BUT at the same time not too basic either. From say 2-8 hours is fine.. if anything id like it to push me more, but i guess the fact im inexperienced i should be careful with tracks that arent laid out well or are sheer cliff faces. Some reports say the other mountains at glasshouse are for experts only where others say dead easy...same with Lamington ( as in the longer tracks). im not sure which way to favour.
i bought the Take a Walk.... book ( and love it) however i get so excited by the descriptions of each walk i lose focus and cant determine if its past my level.
Any recommendations?

greatly appreciated people

p.s- just thought of another newbie question
what do you guys use for camping gear for over nighters? i ask cause being a 4x4er i use heavy canvas tents/swags but obviously hiking the lighter the better. just wondering what is considered standard and also how much it weighs
On long treks through thick forest are machetes/parangs needed? i know they arent allowed in national parks but im imaging they would come in handy on walks where not many people go on

You shouldn't have any problems with the glass house mountains. May be a few rock scrambly bits but nothing too bad. As always, if you don't like what you see just turn back. The only real issue with any of the marked walks at Lamington is the length depending on your fitness. The tracks are very well marked.

There's only one way to find out if something is past your level. Give it a go. As long as you're sticking to marked trails, have the right gear, plenty of water, food and keep your wits about you I think you'll be fine. Use your common sense and listen to your gut. If you feel uncomfortable about something, turn back.

As far as overnighters there is a wealth of info here on the forums about the gear that people use so have a search. This thread is good to see what people use for their main equipment: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5821&hilit=big+4 A typical pack weight for an overnighter can range from roughly 5kg to 20kg depending on your experience, the weather and environment you're in, the amount of money you've spent on lightweight gear and the level of comfort that you want. Personally, my overnight weight for walking around SE Qld is around 7 - 8kg depending on how much water I'll need. The biggest breakthrough will probably be once you start shopping at Macpac, K2, Mountain Designs etc in at Fortitude Valley rather than BCF, Anaconda or your local camping shop. That is where all the lightweight (read expensive) gear is found in Brisbane. Buying online from the USA is my preferred method these days though.

Personally I've never used a machete because as you mentioned it is illegal in national parks. Off track in Lamington is where I've dealt with the thickest foliage and yes it is a pain (literally sometimes) but that's why you're there isn't it? To go somewhere that not many people have been and get away from civilisation. That's the price you pay. Leather gardening gloves can be a godsend when dealing with wait-a-while though.
cams

Postby Pteropus » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 10:28 am

cams wrote:
cookie-monster wrote: ...Basically i want to try other routes/tracks at both but not wanting anything extreme BUT at the same time not too basic either. From say 2-8 hours is fine.. if anything id like it to push me more, but i guess the fact im inexperienced i should be careful with tracks that arent laid out well or are sheer cliff faces...

There's only one way to find out if something is past your level. Give it a go. As long as you're sticking to marked trails, have the right gear, plenty of water, food and keep your wits about you I think you'll be fine. Use your common sense and listen to your gut. If you feel uncomfortable about something, turn back.

Hi cookie-monster, I second what cams said, that the only way to find out your level is to give it a go. Which is obvious with everything in life, since we can only find our boundaries by pushing them. With bushwalking, there is that element of danger, and so my thoughts are to push those boundaries gently. Try some of the longer walks at Lamington, for example, and stay on track. See how that goes. If you are not so experienced with navigation, try to work out your position on the map when you can see obvious features, knowing that you are somewhere on the track. Even go to an obvious feature, where you know your position, and try to match up the map with the surrounding landscape. Once you are comfortable with matching the landscape to the map, and vice versa, you can start to try to get a bit more daring. But nav skills take practice, and for me its a 'use it or lose it' kind of skill. For example, I am good at reading a map, but definitely need to brush up on my map and compass work, since I now have a GPS and have gotten lazy with my nav skills over the past few years.
Don't push the boundaries alone, if you don't need to. If you know someone who is more experienced at walking, or has a keen interest like yourself, go out together. It will at least give you some confidence that you are not alone. And you would be surprised. Start talking of bushwalking with your mates and you will soon find out that a few are into it as well. And if not, there is the option of joining a club.
Anyhow, that is my two-cents worth.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby cookie-monster » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 11:02 am

thanks
yeah, my mate and i did the Elabana Falls circuit which was recommended to us by the info ladies there as we arrived later cause we were 4x4ing first. anyway, when we got to the turn off to go to Elabana Falls we missed it as there was a family standing in front of the sign so we continued straight ahead which i believe is the Box Forest Circuit. we worked out eventually by using the map that we went the wrong way cause curves in the Elabana Falls map were not matching the way our track went. in the end it was a blessing in the disguise as we joined the 2 circuits together to make a better more exciting one. but it was a lesson. to be honest it just made me more hungry for adventure.
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cookie-monster » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 9:36 am

few more questions if you guys dont mind ( if you cant tell im hooked lol)

1. im reading in lots of the hikes in the "Take a walk..."book that scrambling is required... having never done this before, where is a good place to practice safely and gain some skills? i dont want my first scramble to be a pants wetting one lol also, when its mentioned that scrambling is required, does this mean that its not a vertical rock climb? im getting my partner involved too and she is loving it but i think both of us would not be happy getting to a point in the hike where we had to climb up a sheer cliff face. even if we made it up i know we would be in trouble coming back down
2. out of curiosity, do most of you do hikes alone? with mates/partners? with clubs?.... i ask mainly cause my partner and my best mate both enjoy it too but my mate only likes ones considered easy and my partner is only available every 2nd weekend. i have done a few on my own and quite like it but its not quite as rewarding this way
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby maddog » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 12:03 pm

Scrambling is essentially climbing where ropes are not (or should not be) required. So it will be either less than vertical, or vertical but of minimal height. Exposed is also another term to look out for (it has a plain english meaning). So if you read a reference to exposed scrambling where ropes may be required you may wish to avoid this track, until you have decided that you like this kind of thing. Don't forget, you can always turn back.

As an example Mt Maroon's Cotswold track involves scrambling, but is not exposed scrambling. I intend to take my 9 yr old daughter up, on a dry day, with no rope as she enjoys scrambling.

Carrying a short rope (eg 10-20 m) can provide peace if mind. It may be useful on decent, particularly in the wet. Climbers prussick cord (6-8 mm diameter) is relatively expensive , but comparatively light, durable and very strong. If you buy rope for this purpose, ensure that it is static rope (dynamic rope will stretch).

I don't know much about clubs, by many seem to be full of geriatrics.

Cheers
maddog

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 3:12 pm

I went on a hike with one of the main trainers for the bushwalking rescue mob up here in QLD based at Gold Coast/Brisbane climbing Mount Walsh, he had some new rope that just came out, super light and very strong, its flat, looked like my hammock straps i use to strap around trees, but a lot stronger, he mentioned it was very expensive.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby maddog » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 3:36 pm

This kind of thing?

http://www.fireandrescueaustralia.com/i ... b2f9bc3ed8

Less expensive, but still strong enough would be something like this:

http://www.rescuetech1.com/4mmaccessorycords-2.aspx

Though light, 4mm might be unnervingly thin on a longer drop.

Cheers
maddog

Next

Return to Queensland