3-5 Day Walks near Brisbane

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

3-5 Day Walks near Brisbane

Postby tanya_susan » Fri 31 Aug, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking at doing a 3-5 day walk in the September holidays with a friend. My original idea was to do the Conondale Great Walk, but it appears you need a 4WD to access the starting point. Is this true? If so does anyone have any recommendation near Brisbane that do not need 4WD access? I don't mind if they're sunny coast/gc or west. Just want something scenic, maybe with a few waterfalls, but mostly a good escape from the city :) Cheers!
tanya_susan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The University of Queensland
Region: Queensland

Re: 3-5 Day Walks near Brisbane

Postby Don R » Sat 08 Sep, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello there,

Standard 3 plus day walks around Brisbane, which are not navigationally challenging (since you mentioned the Conondale Great Walk ) include the Main Range (which a car shuffle or collection at one end) from Spicer's Gap to Teviot. Water is probably "iffy" at the moment. Or you could do the Cooloola - Noosa River walk, lots of sand walk plenty of swims. A bit further north the walking track on Fraer Island is relatively flat, scenic lakes, albeit 4wders around the place.

Or do you want something a bit more challenging ?
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dannnnn » Sun 09 Sep, 2012 8:08 am

You do not need a 4wd to do Connondale. I have a little Peugeot and I got there fine :) you just have to park about 1-2km away from the start of the track. Its very easy.
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GD4Up » Sat 15 Sep, 2012 1:04 pm

Think about the Lamington plateau. Three to five day walks would end up being a series (3 or 4) of separate walks depending on what you pick and a range of difficulties re navigation skills and sweat factor.

Following the BNT is another option but not that exciting and probably overgrown with weeds
GD4Up
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby tanya_susan » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks for these suggestions! I want something a bit challenging. I've done the Thornsborne Trail on Hichenbrook Island and loved that, so looking for something similar. Cooloola Great Walk looks good, though I've just talked to my friend I'm going with and we only will be able to fit a 3 day walk. In negards to navigational skills, Mt Barney is probably the hardest I've done (in regards to the summit), which probably isn't much. I don't have a GPS or a satellite phone, only the GPS on my mobile, though not sure how trustworthy that is.. How did you find Connodale Dan? Would you recommend it? I'm looking for something a bit challenging and probably with some swims along the way :)
tanya_susan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The University of Queensland

Postby dannnnn » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 8:13 pm

conondale was very enjoyable. you can do it in three days by skipping the tallowood walkers camp and following a forrestry trail called sunday creek rd past peters creek and then rejoining the trail... but be warned, it's a little steep.
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Peter C » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 8:26 am

If your after something a bit more challenging, Sundown NP has some great off track walking, albeit with fairly simple navigation. It's a personal favorite of mine! A couple of cautionary observations however: the country can be quite steep and loose underfoot, and water may be a problem at the moment.
Peter C
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland