Half hour - hour mountain view hikes around Brisbane/SE QLD

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Half hour - hour mountain view hikes around Brisbane/SE QLD

Postby Scinap » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 10:12 am

I've got a friend who's looking for easy hikes around the Brisbane area with rewarding views. She's a tourist looking to get outdoors and see some pretty things. Any suggestions?
Scinap
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Half hour - hour mountain view hikes around Brisbane/SE

Postby Pteropus » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Scinap,

By the title of the thread, are you asking for hikes that take half-an-hour to an hour to walk, or hikes that take that long to drive to reach them?
There are plenty of easy hikes that offer views at Springbrook NP, Lamington NP, Cunningham's Gap and other sections of Main Range to the west of Brisbane, but they take at least an hour-and-a-half to two hours to reach by car. Within an hour there is the Glass House Mountains to the north and the D'Aguilar NP to the north-west. Most of these places require own transport though. There is of course, Mt Coot-tha, directly to the west of Brisbane, and this has some very simple walks and is easily accessible and also has some very nice views of the city and to the south too.

Cheers
Andrew
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby Scinap » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 11:33 am

Yeah I meant walking time, sorry for the ambiguity. She's got her own transport and would be happy to travel. I'll go look through the DERM info on those parks, but if you could recommend a few summits, or one that you found particularly special, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Also, I did not know MT Coot-tha had walks involved, I've only ever driven up to the lookout point.
Scinap
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dannnnn » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 7:44 pm

close to town it'd be mt coot-tha. my favourite walk there is the malacuta track from gordon rd in bardon, then the stringybark track to simpsons falls. there are some great views of the city, the bush is very pretty and lunch at simpsons falls is nice, but it's not really a "lookout" walk.
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/2010%20L ... ochure.pdf

a bit further out, in d'aguilar national park you could do the thyoagle track from boombana and have lunch at jolly's lookout, which is pretty nice, or the morelia track which finishes at a nice lookout
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/daguil ... ings_to_do
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby kbm63 » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 7:50 pm

Mt Coolum on the sunshine coast would fit the bill - although they are doing some track work at the moment and it is only open on the weekends I think. It's pretty popular with many of the international uni students at the Sunny Coast Uni. Also anything easy on the main range like Mt Codeaux/Mitchell never disappoints.
kbm63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ahmondjai » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 8:06 am

There's another summit view at Mt. Ngungun, another one would be Mt. Beerwah which would be my fav out of the 2, but it's been closed off for some time, pity pity.....
ahmondjai
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Scinap » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 7:52 pm

Mt Ngungun looks pretty perfect, at the moment I'm recommending that and Mt Coot-tha. That kind of walk where she can park her car and take it easy are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm still looking at places in the west and south.

Actually if there are any great summits that don't require much time or any real preparation in North-East NSW I'd appreciate you dropping their names.
Scinap
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Pteropus » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 8:47 am

The most obvious peak in NE NSW is Mt Warning/Wollumbin. It doesn't take preparation but is approximately a 3 - 4 hour trip up and back at a comfortable pace
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby cams » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 9:36 am

Ngungun has a but of a kick to the finish. Not a long walk but has a pretty steep rocky eroded bit at the end. Just depends of what your idea of taking it easy is.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:07 am

Get an early start on Mt Ngungun & its next door neighbor Mt Tibrogargan...
...& witness a new days rays hitting the glasshouse mts, occasionally hot air balloons drift by on the morning breeze too.

From Mt Tibrogargan

From Mt Ngungun

Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jakemagnus13 » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 9:45 am

Awesome shots, been wondering about climbing about Ngungun for sunrise now over Tibro.
jakemagnus13
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland