Water on the Gold Coast Great walk.

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water on the Gold Coast Great walk.

Postby hunsta » Tue 30 Jan, 2018 8:25 pm

Doing the Gold Coast Great Walk in May, and I was wonder if anyone can tell me about the availability of water on the trail. Map has two tap icons on day one and day two. Are these reliable? Also I would assume there is water at Binna Burra. I see from the map there is no water at Woonoogoora camp. Is there any creeks in the areas that one can get water from? Obviously it will need to be treated.
As I said it will be May. So it will be cooling down by then. But the availability of water is still a necessity.
Cheers
Craig
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Water on the Gold Coast Great walk.

Postby hunsta » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 4:51 pm

Anyone????????????
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 6:19 pm

I haven't done the walk but looking at the maps, your beside or crossing creeks as you go anyway.
In Numinbah itself you should be able to grab some water before heading off into the bush towards the walkers camp.
Plus your crossing creeks in that area too. Apple Tree Park in Springbrook plateau has water.

I'll be over that way in the next week or so I'll check out the water situation then...unless someone else who's actually done those sections adds to the topic between now & then. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby hunsta » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 8:37 pm

ofuros wrote:I haven't done the walk but looking at the maps, your beside or crossing creeks as you go anyway.
In Numinbah itself you should be able to grab some water before heading off into the bush towards the walkers camp.
Plus your crossing creeks in that area too. Apple Tree Park in Springbrook plateau has water.

I'll be over that way in the next week or so I'll check out the water situation then...unless someone else who's actually done those sections adds to the topic between now & then. :wink:

Cheers. Thanks for that.
Craig
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi Craig,

There should be a few water points on the Border Track, although most of them will be close to the escarpment. This shouldn't be an issue as you will be able to fill up after an hour or two of walking, depending on how quick you're moving and how wet it's been. After lots of rain you may get water closer to the start/end of the Border Track.

Dragoon Bird Creek near the Coomera Falls Circuit turnoff usually has pretty good flow (about 2/3 of the way to Binna Burra). From memory there are also a few creeks that cross the track about mid-way between Binna Burra and O'Reilly's. In the unlikely event that you can't source water elsewhere, you could take a short detour north along the Toolona Creek Circuit (but this wouldn't be necessary unless things have been quite dry).

EDIT: on day 2, it's definitely worthwhile making a short side-trip to lower Ballanjui Falls, the Nixon Creek area is lovely (in fact, if you're new to the area I would highly recommend doing the full Ships Stern Circuit as a day trip from Binna Burra on the way through). If you're feeling fit, you can also do part of either Coomera Falls Circuit or Toolona Falls Circuit during day 1 rather than just sticking to the Border Track (but avoid these options after very heavy rain).

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby heather_sea » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 9:21 am

Lots of water at Nixon Creek (careful, the rocks can be slippery, and unlike the creeks higher up, I'd be wary about drinking this water unfiltered). Not much heading up to Binna Burra, but there's heaps of water (and beer if you are so inclined) at Binna Burra itself. If you are heading towards O'Reilleys, the Border Track has no water from Binna Burra for about 5km, until you get closer to the 2nd turnoff to Coomera Circuit (tons of water, lots of creek crossings); also, about 3km along the Border Track, you can detour a bit towards Ballanjui Falls, where there's a creek before you turn off to Dave's Creek Circuit (usually got water on Dave's Creek, but can be a bit stagnant if it hasn't rained). I normally walk to O'Reilleys from Binna Burra via Coomera Circuit going there (makes it longer but prettier) and going back to Binna Burra (as I hike alone and find it difficult to get transport for one way tracks...wish someone would offer hiker dropoffs), I go via Tooloona Circuit (ditto). Heaps of water then, just make sure you fill up before you head back to Border Track, which hasn't much water. If you have extra days, a circuit of Dave's Creek, Ship's Stern and Lower Bellbird makes a great day's walk from Binna Burra. Takes about 8 hours, unless there's a super cell storm coming in and you run up the last 3km from the bottom (as I did last time I did this!)
heather_sea
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby hunsta » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 9:56 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:EDIT: on day 2, it's definitely worthwhile making a short side-trip to lower Ballanjui Falls, the Nixon Creek area is lovely (in fact, if you're new to the area I would highly recommend doing the full Ships Stern Circuit as a day trip from Binna Burra on the way through). If you're feeling fit, you can also do part of either Coomera Falls Circuit or Toolona Falls Circuit during day 1 rather than just sticking to the Border Track (but avoid these options after very heavy rain).

Cheers,
Munch

Thanks for the tips. Ive actually spent the weekend at Binna Burra and did the whole ships stern walk . As well as a couple of smaller ones.
We`ll be starting from the O`Reilly`s end and ending in Springbrook. My main concern really was for day 2. Binna Burra to Woonoongoora camp. But I guess there is Numinbah shop.
Thanks people.
Craig
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 3:18 pm

Water inbetween Numinbah & Apple Tree picnic area...
Nerang river itself, if your desperate.
Toilets(boil) next to school of arts has water.
Waterfall creek & the creek(boil) before the climb up to Woonoongoora Camp are flowing well.
Camp tank has water, around 3/4 full.
Apple tree toilets have water.(boil)

The ticks are out in force...

A single snake.
A sunbaking goanna.
Bird calls were glorious.

Lipstick red Native Raspberry's were ripe for the picking...not a lot of taste but they were juicy, and there's a Lime tree at the camp area.

Up to Apple tree & back down again to Numinbah by 10.30am before the heat kicked in...the zig zags or the 900steps will give your thighs a good workout. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 2:01 pm

Numinbah to Binna Burra
Nixon creek is gurgling away nicely.

Ticks before the storm blew through...leechfest during & after.
Steep track sections down to Nixons ck are extremely slippery after heavy rain, expect to too loose your legs & fall on your pack...and then slide slowly down the slope. :wink:

Fiery red flame trees are flowering, native raspberries are ripe, too early for a passionfruit vine l spotted & tad early for the local limes.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 11:25 pm

On your way though...

The roadside stall just before the Numinbah cafe has beautiful scented floral honey for sale...large jar & small bottles available.
It's delicious. 8)

The public toilets beside the Numinbah School of Arts are fenced off & closed by at the moment...a tree branch has damage the roofing around the back.

If you walk 50m past the School of Arts hall you'll come to a small forest reserve on the left hand side, just past the orange deer sign.
There's a small walking circuit, plus the track meanders along the banks of the Nerang river...take a cool dip in the shady riffles & sunny pools or be pummeled
by the natural jacuzzi (Blissss, after walking along the hot & humid road section). 8) Just keep an eye out for those freshwater sharks.... :wink:

DSCF4861 (Medium).JPG

DSCF4862 (Medium).JPG

DSCF4863 (Medium).JPG
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 12:45 pm

Jesus, GC hinterland is an oasis! There is water anywhere you go.

Try Sundown and you'll be begging to drink that nice looking tar water.

:twisted:

*Note:

We'll be back in April to finish our homework:

Mt Donaldson + McAllister's Creek.
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ofuros » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 12:50 pm

gbagua wrote:Jesus, GC hinterland is an oasis! There is water anywhere you go.

Try Sundown and you'll be begging to drink that nice looking tar water.

:twisted:

*Note:

We'll be back in April to finish our homework:

Mt Donaldson + McAllister's Creek.

By the looks of that soak, gbagua, I'd rather drink/filter my own urine... :shock:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 8:29 pm

ofuros wrote:The public toilets beside the Numinbah School of Arts are fenced off & closed by at the moment...a tree branch has damage the roofing around the back.

They've been repaired & are open for business again...sign says 'Non Drinking Water' above the taps, so I'm guessing the water is pumped up from the river. Use at your own risk, filter or boil.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dalehikes » Fri 23 Aug, 2019 9:30 am

Talking about toilets on the great walk.. the last time I visited Purlingbrook falls (a rare visit to a high traffic hike), the state of the toilets was appalling, not so much cleanliness but the rubbish was EVERYWHERE!

Every available surface was full of rubbish, the disabled toilet was even worse with a growing pile of rubbish stacked in the corner!

If everyone could do their bit, take everything they bring with them, we could have nice toilets, instead we combine to live in a rubbish tip. Disappointing!
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 8:00 am

The sight of discarded tissues beside the track during the flu season...tends to raise my blood pressure.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lyrebird » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 10:35 pm

The sight of discarded tissues beside the track during the flu season...tends to raise my blood pressure.

And that's assuming that they've just been sneezed in, not worse :roll: Agreed, and also with dalehikes re high traffic. The loveliness of Purlingbrook (and various other well-advertised walks) is constantly diminished by the mountain of rubbish left by irresponsible visitors who can't pack their crap and think that the track fairies run around cleaning up after them.
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland