Question

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Question

Postby iandsmith » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 6:41 pm

Has anyone walked in Isla Gorge?
Also looking for more information on Expedition National Park.
Is it possible (assuming dry weather) to get my motorhome in there without too much trouble?
Also, any other parks you recommend in the central Queensland ranges area that are worth a look, bearing in mind I only have
my motorhome for transport.
Cheers, Ian Smith
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Question

Postby north-north-west » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 6:57 pm

I've walked a bit at the Flagstaff Hill end, but that was at least 20 years ago, and I don't recall a great deal about it.
It was pretty rough country, no formed tracks, just intermittent animal pads. I'm pretty sure the Motorhome would get into the picnic area at the south eastern end. The gorge itself was what is often termed 'interesting' going. Overgrown, loose rock, loose slippery dirt.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Question

Postby iandsmith » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 8:36 pm

You pretty much got it right. I camped overnight at the lookout, walked down in the gorge in the afternoon and got some fantastic shots (he said modestly) and went down again the next morning and got some alright shots. It's good for photography if you're prepared to bush bash. Have entered a couple in this month's comp.
Cheers, ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland