Fountain Falls traverse

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Fountain Falls traverse

Postby Raymondo » Fri 11 Apr, 2014 10:02 am

Hi All
Has anyone done the Fountain Falls Traverse in Lamington since the storms/floods of 2010-13? Planning on doing a 3 day over Anzac WE from Green Mountain and coming back from Binna Burra via the traverse on the last day. I have done the falls 2-3 times from BB side and once from GM but that was before the storms. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
raymondo
Raymondo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Fountain Falls traverse

Postby Don R » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi Raymondo, I did the Traverse in November 2012. At the time the route was fine for a reasonably experienced off track walker. The first I did the Traverse would have been 1988 (yes I am an old walker), at that time there was a good pad from near Blue Pool to Fountain Falls and the remnants of the old Canungra Creek walking track. Those features have deteriorated over the years. Since you have done it from Binna Burra and Green Mountains you will know what I mean. As at Nov 2012 the last few hundred metres towards Canungra Creek (on the Green Mountains side) was overgrown with lawyer vine which made the navigation a little difficult. If you aren't too concerned with the occassional bush striping from lawyer it is all ok. The ridge along the Darlington is still ok. Are you intending to camp at the side gully near Curtain Falls,I recall there was some embargo about camping in the area due to the frog population ? Have fun.
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Fountain Falls traverse

Postby Raymondo » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks Don. I remember some heavy lawyer vine coming down the slope to the creek, coming from the GM side. Ended up almost a km up-stream from FF as tried to avoid the worst of it. Not camping (hopefully), trying to do the traverse in one day - will start early from GM.
Raymondo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland