Mountain Creek Road & Mt Bogong

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mountain Creek Road & Mt Bogong

Postby Marwood » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 6:13 pm

In case someone is interested... I walked up Bogong and back this am from Mtn Creek Campsite via the Staircase. Between when I went up and when I came back down at about lunchtime, a bulldozer has been through and cleared the creek crossings and fallen trees from the 4WD track - it looks accessible for a high clearance 4WD now.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mountain Creek Road & Mt Bogong

Postby Hutchie » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 2:47 pm

I saw those same 2 dozers parked at the junction of trappers gap and camp creek tracks on Sunday. Looks like they are getting a fair bit of work. I did notice the gate at the top of Mountain Creek Road at Camp Creek Gap was still locked when i passed through though, but its nice to see that parks/dse havent given up on mountain creek road after all the damage its had.
Hutchie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Thu 25 Nov, 2010 5:29 pm

I'd be happier if they'd use the time and money to clear Duane's Spur.

Seriously, why do the 4wd tracks get priority over walking tracks? The situation was the same up in Wonnongatta-Moroka after the fires - the 4WD tracks and riverside camps were all rehabilitated before there was any action on the walking tracks. And walking tracks are more likely to be allowed to go feral rather than be maintained. Surely foot access is less damaging to the bush?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Hutchie » Thu 25 Nov, 2010 9:49 pm

I agree with seeing duane's spur clear, but i guess they cant get a dozer in there :(
It sure is nice to see Mountain Creek Road clear though. That track is used by 4wd and walkers alike.
Hutchie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 6:24 pm

1. There is vehicle access via Trapper's Gap and Granite Flat Tracks. The first is hardly a major detour from the Tawonga end.
2. So the mess makes the walk to the start of Staircase Spur about 5 minutes longer. Wow! :roll:
3. After the latest lot of storms and floods, all that work (and time and money) will probably have been wasted.

I repeat: Duane Spur would have been a better option.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Victoria