West Gipsland walks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

West Gipsland walks

Postby hoangle1009 » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi guys,

I am a total beginner in bush walking. I got charmed by the beautiful Australian nature.
I am starting off bush walking by these walks:

Poverty Point (Old Steel) Bridge Walk - West Gipsland
Mushroom Rocks - West Gipsland
Toorongo Falls via Amphitheatre Falls Loop Track- West Gipsland

If you have any suggestions for me (a total beginner), or what I should know before going, I would really appreciate it.
If there is any other great day walks, that are within 4 hours drive from Melbourne, I would be really happy to hear them out

Hoang
hoangle1009
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: West Gipsland walks

Postby optdyl » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 11:22 am

hoangle1009 wrote: within 4 hours drive from Melbourne

is the four hours for a return trip, or one way?

If return you might be able to get to The Grampians in Western Victoria; there's some great walking around there. There are also lots of day walks around the Great Ocean Road, see http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject.cfm/objectid.35676376-19C7-4AD6-98495A2DCADDEE8A/.

Also, once the weather picks up and the days become a bit longer you might consider some more strenuous day walks in the Alpine National Park (e.g. Mt Bogong and Mt Feathertop). These walks would be more than 4 hours from Melbourne though...

dyl
optdyl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby anne3 » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 1:50 pm

These are all great walks for beginers, if you were really keen you could do Mushroom rock and the bridge all in a day!! Mushroom rocks and The old steel bridge are both on well maintained tracks. If you are up this way it is well worth walking around Walhalla. If you want any local info on this area let me know...Anne
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hoangle1009 » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks optdyl, I'll definitely have a look at the Grampians, especially the famous Fortress, it looks awesome
Thanks Anne, you are right about Walhallla, it's a really nice town.

I arrived too late so I couldn't do the Mushroom one, is it a scenic one?

But the old steel track is not really good in terms of track quality and sight seeing though :-(.

I have always had a thing with water in rivers, waterfalls, creeks,.. so I was pretty keen on the old steel one when the website says that I'll be walking on 2 sides of the river. Well it does tell the truth but erm... there is not much water in the Thomson river, and the trees almost cover everything

But the town of Walhalla is definitely worth having a look. It's beautiful, and the people there are so nice, so fun. I think I ll visit it again, I didn't spend that much time there, and my camera's battery was flat :-(

How is the scenery of Mushroom stone walk? If it s just the stone ... haha
I am doing walking for sight seeing mainly. I hope that I ll be able to take good pictures there.

What I am thinking is that I ll put my base at a campsite(or many campsites that are close to each other) and do day walks on different days in an area. when I am more experience I'll do the multi-day ones. Any recommendation?
hoangle1009
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Charlievee » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi hoangle - the scenery (from memory) at Mushroom rocks is nice. The trees offer a nice canopy as you climb from the carpark to Mushroom rocks. The rocks are quite striking and offer a nice morning tea/scroggin/lunch spot depending on what time you arrive, and from which direction. As you climb onto the plateau you get into alpine territory and have to be prepared for the associated weather. Please be careful ! Proper clothing and equipment is essential as the weather can turn bad, even in summer. I know this first hand. I don't mean to put you off or scare you ; just read up on these areas. I've seen some really silly people leaving to start a walk too late and totally unprepared. It's a beautiful area - you'll really enjoy the Mushroom rocks and its surrounds. Regards, Charlie.

p.s. - for walks in the area ; a great guidebook is the Chapman/Siseman guide to the Australian Alps Walking Track. Its chock full of info on the area.
A man's best friend is his knife, not his dog...
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hoangle1009 » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for that CV, your info is really helpful. I ll check the mushroom rock out some time, I love good sights
hoangle1009
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neil_fahey » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 12:49 pm

Just thought I'd add my 2c...

Firstly, I wanted to echo hoangle's comments regarding the town and people of Walhalla. The place has a real charm about it and I was lucky enough to have dinner with the whole population recently (7 people at the time)... Talk about a nice bunch of characters! They certainly told some amazing stories!

It's also worth mentioning that the steel bridge is officially closed at the moment due to bushfire damage. However, the locals told us that there was a local council endorsed fun run that recently used the bridge as part of it's course so we just climbed the barrier and used it anyway. I think there may have been a landslide recently on the west side of the river so you may not be able to use that track. Instead we got a lift to a 4wd track near the bridge itself and then crossed the bridge and walked back to Thomson Bridge on the east side of the river. Also, the river seemed to me to be flowing quite well. The water was beautiful and clear too!

There is a new website and brochure - http://www.inspiringgippslandwalks.com.au - which lists walks all over gippsland. Might be worth checking out.

Oh and Mushroom Rocks is absolutely beautiful!

Hoangle: Did you ever get to Toorongo Falls? Worth a visit?

Cheers
Neil
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 6:25 pm

I've walked from the Erica Carpark to Walhalla (and back) in the last few weeks, and it's all passable. One or two trees down on the forest sections, and one small rockfall on the riverside, but that's it. And I've crossed the bridge three times without any trouble. The decking timbers aren't even singed, so I don't see how it could have been exposed to enough heat to have damaged the metal structure.
River's looking good, too.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby neil_fahey » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 8:37 pm

NBNW: Did you walk both sides of the river? I was saying that the west side might not be passable
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hoangle1009 » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 12:53 am

manofunreal wrote:Just thought I'd add my 2c...

Hoangle: Did you ever get to Toorongo Falls? Worth a visit?

Cheers
Neil

No, I didn't get to do the falls and Ada tree, because the road was not complete (It appears on the website and the brochure though :-()

I did get to Thomson Dam though, I think it's beautiful
hoangle1009
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 7:18 pm

manofunreal wrote:NBNW: Did you walk both sides of the river? I was saying that the west side might not be passable

Yep, did a loop from Walhalla, following first the old route and then the temporary replacement. There are some trees down on the track past the turnoff, but it's passable.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby neil_fahey » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 8:23 pm

Cool... Might have been cleared since I was there then (or the locals were wrong). Thanks for responding!
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Charlievee » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 8:08 am

Hey gang - I walked the first leg of the AAWT - from Walhalla to Mt Victor last week. There was a few track issues, but still a very good walk. Trip report being prepared as we speak. CV
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby napalm donut » Mon 13 Dec, 2010 5:42 pm

I have some fave easy and casual walks in the area. St Gwinear, across to Phillack on the alpine heath above the trees is great. Theres a few shorter but good walks in the mt Worth state park that can be taken together over 3+hrs or so. I dont know what state they are in now but the Labertouche caves used to be great. We used to walk at the northern end of Labertouche, across the river next to one of the old sawmills, about halfway along the road to Neerim sth and Tarago resevoir from the Labertouche community hall with the turnoff. Apart from the fires I heard somebody was attacked by feral dogs there a couple of years ago.
napalm donut
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby optdyl » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:22 am

Charlievee wrote:Hey gang - I walked the first leg of the AAWT - from Walhalla to Mt Victor last week. There was a few track issues, but still a very good walk. Trip report being prepared as we speak. CV

G'Day CV,
How's the trip report coming along? Looking forward to doing this section in the next month.
Cheers,
dyl
optdyl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Charlievee » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 2:38 pm

OK - ya got me. I'm guilty of procrastinating. I've written it up, but the file won't allow uploading. Can't seem to figure out why... I've been trying to find a way other than re typing the whole report as it is rather long, and I type with one finger. Soon. Maybe pm me and I can send an email ? Got lots of good photos too ... Bugger. Merry Christmas team. I hope Santa is good to you all and you get spoiled rotten. Regards, CV
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Charlievee » Wed 29 Dec, 2010 11:50 am

Just in case you haven't noticed - the report (or part of it anyway) is up on the "Trip report" page.
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria