Byaduk Caves and Powelltown rail trail

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Byaduk Caves and Powelltown rail trail

Postby AdamM » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi all,

I both visited both Byaduk Caves and walked the Powelltown logging rail trail to the old sawmill site (if I remember correctly) about 20 years ago when I was teenager and would like to re-visit both of these with some friends in the near future. Has anyone been to/walked either more recently than I have that can advise on whether they're worth re-visiting? I know some of the Byaduk caves are now off limits (when I visited, the car park was gravel and the caves were unmarked - you could have fallen in if you weren't careful!), which is a real shame, but other than that I can't find any more recent information.

Thanks in advance.
AdamM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Byaduk Caves and Powelltown rail trail

Postby Charlievee » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:24 am

Hi AdamM, I've walked the Powelltown timber trail (now known as A Walk into History) several times in the last couple years. It's a great short walk that's good for checking out new walkers or a new piece of gear. And its close proximity makes it ideal. The walk is covered in several bushwalking books I own. If it's the walk I'm thinking of ; it starts at Big Pat's creek near Warburton, goes on to Starling's gap, through to the old Ada mills, and so on onto finish at Powelltown. The leeches can be bothersome at times - especially at ADA no.2 camp - but a squirt of alcohol hand wash smartens them up. Just gotta see em' first ! Lovely walk. Haven't done it in the last year - give the team a ring at Powelltown DSE a call, they're very helpful. Regards, CV
A man's best friend is his knife, not his dog...
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jcr_au » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 12:12 pm

Can't add much about the walk into history beyond what charlievee has, other than it is a great area to walk. So far we've only done a day walk from Starling Gap, but it was really great in the temporate rainforest, particularly as I spent every weekend in Powelltown for about 10 years from 1959-69. Even played my junior footy there.

The Byaduk caves still have some access (and no-one to police the access to closed areas). I called in there about 12 months ago and we're thinking of doing a day walk from the eastern carpark, where you get the best view of the blisters, to the western carpark - I think we worked out its about 6-7 km

Edit - they're not vents but blisters of course
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby AdamM » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Charlievee, thanks, that's the one! I think I remember starting at Starlings Gap and walking to Ada Mills, where there is significant sections of old wooden trestle bridge spans still there, then returning, taking a couple of hours each way.

Hi John R, thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by blisters though. I recall walking into a cave with lava splashes on the side walls from where the roof collapsed as the lava was cooling and broke the floor skin, splashing lava up the the walls. Friends I was with went into the flowerpot cave by rope.
AdamM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Charlievee » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey AdamM - the trestle bridge has collapsed and is slowly being reclaimed by the river/swamp. The white marker arrows are there, although it's pretty evident the route that people take to get through. A little further on, as you go straight ahead at the crossroads, the other bridge has collapsed too. Fortunately, the timber that remains helps you ford/traverse the Ada river. This is the best camping spot of the lot I reckon, lots of tent sites, and plenty of firewood. Not too far from the river for water. Regards, CV
A man's best friend is his knife, not his dog...
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bill P » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 9:11 am

Hi AdamM,

You'll find Byaduk caves pretty similar to 20 years ago but with improved walking tracks.

Some of Tyrone Thomas' books have a handy map of the complex.

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jcr_au » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 8:42 pm

AdamM wrote:Hi John R, thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by blisters though. I recall walking into a cave with lava splashes on the side walls from where the roof collapsed as the lava was cooling and broke the floor skin, splashing lava up the the walls. Friends I was with went into the flowerpot cave by rope.

The lava blisters are "blisters" where the lava flowing underneath vented up like the mud pools at Rotorua, some are visible in the paddock near the eastern end, although I remember reading that the farmer who owned the paddock was removing them despite a court order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byaduk,_Victoria
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crockle » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:02 am

jcr_au wrote:The lava blisters are "blisters" where the lava flowing underneath vented up like the mud pools at Rotorua, some are visible in the paddock near the eastern end, although I remember reading that the farmer who owned the paddock was removing them despite a court order.

They look like big rock lumps protruding from the earth - not necessarily at all in line with the negative connotation we tend to give the word 'blister'.
You can follow signs in the area marked "Tumuli Lava Blisters" that can be seen by the Hamilton-Port Fairy Road. They lead off Old Crusher Rd near Harmons Valley Lookout.
There's not just one farm or paddock that has these odd volcanic artifacts.

How the farmer mentioned would be "removing them" I'm not quite sure. I imagine explosives would be involved.
And the words "court order" combined with "explosives" are always interesting. :o
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bill P » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 6:42 am

They crush em up with a big roller and rake up the bits & pieces, There were some contractors with this gear around the Stoney Rises/Pirron yallock recently.

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnStrider » Sat 21 Feb, 2015 2:27 pm

Has anyone recently done the complete walk from Big Pats Creek to Powelltown? Doing this next weekend so any advice/tips would be great. Looks pretty straight forward from the information here: http://www.experienceyarravalley.com.au ... powelltown
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria