overnight hikes in the Grampians?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

overnight hikes in the Grampians?

Postby phillis » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey all

Its my birthday the first weekend in September (ill be 24, getting old!) and I'm looking at going on a solo overnight hike to celebrate. Ive done lake Tahli Karng and Mt Feathertop via the Razorback by myself before and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. This time id like to head west a bit and discover the Grampians. Whats the weather there usually like at the start of spring?

Since ill be going by myself, i wont have anyone to pick me up, so ill have to start and end at the same point. Searching the Grampians national park website, the only recommended hike I've found is Mt Difficult/Briggs Bluff. Anyone had any experience with that track or any other tracks around the Granpians that i can kill 2 days with?

-Phil
phillis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: overnight hikes in the Grampians?

Postby eggs » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:18 pm

I haven't been there - but you might try and find out how to do the loop via The Fortress and Mt Thackery.
It would be high up there if I got to the Grampians for more than day walking.

See also this post http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2901&p=31540&hilit=thackery#p31540
He notes the Major Mitchell Plateau overnight walk - over the highest part of the Grampians.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Bill P » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:55 pm

Spring is great for wildflowers. Have a look at the Mt William -Major Michell plateau walk. Start at the carpark on the Tourist Rd & finish at Jimmy Ck. Hitch a ride back up to your vehicle (usually easy-lots of o/s tourists in campervans) or stash a pushie at Jimmy Ck. Theres a new dunny up at the campsite after the fire, but water is still from the Wannon ck gorge

Some of the gramps tracks can be a bit light on for route markings esp Mt Difficult/ Victory range.

Happy Birthday.

Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby robtrotter » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 1:43 pm

Where did you end up walking?

I've had 2 experiences with Mt Difficult. The first time it was so wet/cloudy - visibility was about 2 metres when we got to the summit. So we figured we would head up there for a weekend and do Briggs Bluff as well. Well that weekend turned into Black Saturday (We looked at the forecast and decided that a trip to the beach sounded like a much better idea).

Was a fun walk up there though. Did miss the track at one point where the pad got pretty vague and the markers were hard to spot in the cloud. But the walk itself was fun.
robtrotter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria