Base camping with good day walks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Base camping with good day walks

Postby walkinTas » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 8:22 pm

I'll be in Victoria over Christmas, and after the cricket I'm keen to do some camping and walking for two or three days with my son. Need to set up a base camp for the non-walkers in our group. Would like a couple of good day walks away from this camp.

Since I don't know Victoria all that well, any suggestions would be appreciated.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Base camping with good day walks

Postby north-north-west » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 8:48 pm

What sort of car do you have?

If you don't mind gravel roads, go up to Wonnongatta-Moroka. There are some good campsites up there, including near the Howitt carpark, with plenty of good daywalks - Mt Howitt and the Crosscut, Conglomerate Creek and Bryces Gorge, Mt Reynard, etc. All these are accessible from the Howitt Rd. Then there's McFarlane Saddle, with the Wellington Plains, Mt Wellington, Spion Kopje, Tali Karng and The Gables.
Also a lot of camping areas along the river north of Licola.
There are also plenty of good camping areas on the Bogong High Plains, although they get a bit more use. Great walking up there. And all the Alpine NP campsites are free.

The Grampians are also good, especially the northern end, the Mt Difficult and Mt Zero areas.

I would think the non-walkers would find the Grampians and the Bogongs best as there are settlements and shops not too far away.

Just keep away from The Prom, because it will be elbow to elbow in there over Christmas.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby walkinTas » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks nnw.

I have an SUV, but my son has a Navara. I did a few wonderful walks around the Grampians in 1983/4. I was sitting by a lake and I turned to my friend and said, "can you hear that". "I can't hear anything" he said. "Yeah", I replied, "and its the first time since I've been in Victoria".

I've heard it was a lot more touristy these days.

Are the tracks easy to find up Wonnongatta-Moroka way?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 9:35 pm

Yeah, even the northern end of the Grumps has become more popular, although you can still get away from the mobs off season. Christmas, of course, is when everyone's out there. Which is why I was thinking of Wonnongatta-Moroka; it's not one of the most frequented bits of bush.

There's some good 4WD stuff around too, makes it a bit easier to get away from the mobs.

Most of the W-M tracks are OK, they've even been upgrading a few lately. I think it's the first time in 10 years they've done any track work up there. The McFarlane Saddle/Wellington area has good walking tracks and some very easy off-track stuff (like Spion Kopje). The Howitt/Magdala/Crosscut tracks are all easy to follow. Ditto Conglomerate Creek. The Reynard track's a beast these days - it's had at least two bad fires and a lot of storms and the walking's easier off the track than on it until you're up in the snowgums. But once there it's good, and there's an easy offtrack route north down the back of the mountain to the MVO track that leads back to the campsite near the airstrip.
Then there's the track up Ligar, from Breakfast Creek, or the old 4WD track up over Tamboritha, from Tamboritha Saddle. Not long walks, but rewarding.

You can also go into the Howqua Hills country, south of the Mt Buller Road, some good camping both by the river and up near The Bluff, or beside the Bluff 4WD track. All sub-alpine, snowgrass meadows and snowgums and good walking, including a few sections of the AAWT.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jcr_au » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 10:14 am

getting away from the crowds at that time of year, in a recognised camp spot, could be difficult.

Perhaps pre-booking sites at somewhere like the Blackwood Caravan park & walking parts of the Great Dividing trail, or the vaughan camp area and the GDT around there.
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:38 pm

There's the Upper Howqua camp, via Mt Stirling and Bindaree. Small riverside area, never seen a crowd there, good walks from the camp and plenty more within a half hour's drive, and even the non-walkers would probably enjoy a ramble along the river on the old logging road.

edit: And they'd also probably like the opportunity to visit Craig's Hut, which is just around the other side of Stirling.
Last edited by north-north-west on Tue 10 Aug, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jcr_au » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 5:19 pm

NNM

Now thats a very good suggestion. Its about 15 years since I last camped near there.

Well overdue for a return visit
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 8:43 pm

north-north-west wrote:And they'd also probably like the opportunity to visit Craig's Hut, which is just around the other side of Stirling.

I haven't been there but I thought it burnt down in bushfires a couple of years ago?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 8:51 pm

It's been re-re-re-rebuilt.

I was up there late May, and it's all back as good as ever. Although I don't think the two flashers on the roof are standard . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 9:10 pm

north-north-west wrote:It's been re-re-re-rebuilt.

I was up there late May, and it's all back as good as ever. Although I don't think the two flashers on the roof are standard . . .

Thanks, good to know. I have the "original" preserved on the two Man from Snowy River DVDs I own (OK I'm a dag). One day I'll get down there and have a look.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 8:10 pm

It's worth a visit, although the access track from Circuit Rd is 4WD. They chose a brilliant position, out on a spur above the river, with superb views that range from Cobbler over Koonika, Speculation, the Crosscut, Howitt and beyond.
Not exactly a quiet spot, however; it gets plenty of visitors when the roads are open. It is possible to walk out there over Stirling from Telephone Box Junction during the winter, although it makes for a long day.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:40 pm

such a good topic it ought to be repeated in each state / area i reckon.....
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby north-north-west » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 6:19 pm

walkinTas wrote:...and after the cricket I'm keen to do some camping....

Masochist, aren't you?
After the trouble I had getting back down for the last MCG Ashes test, I'm giving it a miss. Besides, it's just not the same without Glenn McGrath. :(
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 10:32 pm

Nah! Its the ashes. Only sport in the world better than bushwalking is a game where we thrash the English. And besides, the best days cricket is always Boxing Day at the G.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 8:42 pm

No guarantees on thrashing them this time around.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 4:30 pm

OK, booked the car on the boat, so now I just have to decide. :)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 6:27 pm

It really depends what sort of facilities you need. I'm guessing your non-walkers would like dunnies and tables and fireplaces and, though there are plenty of places around that have them, most will be full at Christmas.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 8:00 pm

north-north-west wrote:You can also go into the Howqua Hills country, south of the Mt Buller Road, some good camping both by the river and up near The Bluff, or beside the Bluff 4WD track. All sub-alpine, snowgrass meadows and snowgums and good walking, including a few sections of the AAWT.
Ok. We are thinking of heading into the "running creek" camping ground (Howque River) on Tuesday. We'll spend a day or two, do some 4WD'g in the area and do some day walks. Can you tell me more about the Bluff 4WD track?

Gotta be home for Christmas dinner and the Boxing Day test.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 4:33 pm

The Bluff 4wd track is a narrow not-too-steep switchback below the hut. One or two slightly muddy patches but no real bogs. From there it undulates up to the junction with the AAWT below King Billy 1. Some steep rocky pitches, some loose ground, some puddles. I actually used low range to do a couple of the steeper climbs in the wet.
From there it's more or less level as it cuts along the side of the King Billies to the top of Brocks Rd, where there's also a track heading down and then up the other side to the Howitt carpark. That top stretch is muddy in places, and still narrow. It's slow and fun and genuine 4WDing country, but even a novice like me can manage it.

And the walking up there is great. The track over Eadley Stoney to the Bluff from the hut, the AAWT from just above Picnic Point either over the King Billies or out to Magdala, and then the stretch to and over Clear from the top of Brocks Rd. 'Twill be grouse.
And at least the game will be worth attending after the Perth result. Weather might not be much chop, but. It actually snowed up on the Dargo & Bogong High Plains yesterday.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 8:21 pm

Part 1

Lots of 4WD'ing, but not so much walking so far. We camped at Running Creek, then took Steiner's Road up to the Howqua Hills Track and on over to Fry's Flats and then up to Sheepyard Flats. We were hoping to head up to King Billy 1, but we spoke to a road maintenance gang who said Brock's Road was washed out up near the Bluff. So we drove up to the Eagle Peaks track and went for a walk. Sadly I couldn't convince my son to climb up onto the peaks so we returned to the 4WD. We spoke briefly with a guy who was part of a bridge maintenance crew. He told us we could cross the river and my MY75T said that Low Saddle Rd would take us down to Mt Sunday Rd, so we abandoned any thought of going to King Billy and off we went south.

We crossed a brand new bridge off Brock's Rd onto Low Saddle Rd. A couple of KM in we had to stop and winch a fallen tree from the road. Lucky we packed the chainsaw. My son got his wish to do a bit more 4WD'ing because Mt. Sunday Rd is really a medium 4WD track but it took us all the way to Jamieson-Licola Road. We dropped down Axe Trk (very steep in spots) to the river for a camping spot. I got to explore the Mitchells walking track for a little before dinner. The campsite wasn't great, but it looked like a great fishing spot.

This morning we went up to Mansfield for a bit of shopping then on to Marysville for a sticky beak before heading back to the city. I was really impressed with the Navman. It knew the name of all the tracks and made navigation a breeze. I had a great "introductory" look around the area and a wonderful time, even if the walking was very lean.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 11:22 pm

Part 2
I lasted two days at the cricket. :sign:

I headed out towards Sale and up the road towards Dargo. I camped at Augustvale Campsite Tuesday night. Very nice spot shared with ½doz other campers. Victoria does car camping very well. Toilets and water provided in seemingly remote spots.

Up at sunrise and drove up into Dargo (more 4WD'ing). There is a very good, free, camping ground in Dargo. From Dargo I drove up over Dargo High Plains road and did a few short walks, then on through to the Great Alpine Road. Dropped down to Mount Beauty and on up to Falls Creek. The drive up over the Bogong High Plains was wonderful. Couldn't believe how many people were up there. Cars and campers everywhere! Did a few more short walks up there and had a brief look around the area. Eventually headed down to Wodonga and then back to Melbourne in time to sailed home Thursday morning.

This was my first time driving around and looking around in the Victorian high country. I loved what I saw and had a wonderful time with family. I will return sometime. One could spent 1000's of hours 4WD'ing in Victoria and still have more tracks to follow. The tracks are well sign-posted and rated as easy, medium or hard on most of the signs. Hopefully I will be better organised with some good maps and I will do a bit more walking and lots more photography next time, though I'm sure a few more 4WD trips are not out of the question.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 11:32 am

Glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, the Bogongs are very popular during holidays. Not as bad as the Prom, and at least the camping is free, but it gets far too busy for my liking. Easier to get away from the mobs at Hotham, surprisingly enough, as long as you don't do Feathertop.
The Dargo is always quiet, but. And in winter it's great walking, with many of the tracks gated and even the road closed at the park boundary.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 2:01 pm

north-north-west wrote:Easier to get away from the mobs at Hotham, surprisingly enough, as long as you don't do Feathertop.
This is where better maps and a bit more planning would have been helpful. I turned left at the end of Dargo High Plains. I could have turned right and gone around Hotham and come in the other end of the Bogong High Plains Road. Oh well, there is always next time. :)

north-north-west wrote:Glad you enjoyed it.
Sure did! Thanks for all your help mate. And thanks everyone for all the input and advice.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 6:50 pm

walkinTas wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Easier to get away from the mobs at Hotham, surprisingly enough, as long as you don't do Feathertop.
This is where better maps and a bit more planning would have been helpful. I turned left at the end of Dargo High Plains. I could have turned right and gone around Hotham and come in the other end of the Bogong High Plains Road. Oh well, there is always next time. :)

The best maps for an overview are Rooftop's. They field check everything regularly and include notes on the condition of most of the major walking and vehicle tracks. I do a lot of basic planning with these maps, and there are enough of them to cover all the Victorian High Country and a fair bit of the Snowies as well.

And it's not much of a difference, timewise. Both roads are winding and a bit up and down. The view's generally better the other way, that's all.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria