Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Good spots for a Bivvi and an overnight in VIC

Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi
New to the forum. It's been a looong since I was out on the hills but the wife and kids are off overseas for 3 months and I have time to get back on to them come the first week of September.

I'm looking to do an overnight somewhere after a day's walk from the carpark and basically bivvi up at dusk or an hour before. Grampians is my first choice.

Can someone recommend an overnight location where you can get out of the wind and do this - maybe with a bit of a view? The sort of place where you can then breakfast and lounge around in? Off the track but maybe not so far?

Cheers

Mike

Re: Good spots for a Bivvi and an overnight in VIC

Sun 11 Jul, 2010 4:30 pm

Mike

The Grampians are a big place, with many walks/camps, but as a start you could try downloading the Dandenong Valley Bushwalking Club guide from this page, download link is about half way down the page

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dvbc/grampians.htm

Mon 12 Jul, 2010 6:46 pm

Out of the wind AND a view. In Spring. In the Grumps. Well, that shouldn't be too hard.

. . . errrrr . . . ummmmmmm . . .

The Major Mitchell is a great walk, fantastic views. But it's not exactly out of the wind, in my experience.

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 9:36 am

Wha about the Mt Difficult - Briggs Bluff walk..... I've never done it but from what I've heard and pictures I've seen there are plenty of views and plenty of cliffs.

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 6:41 pm

trickos wrote:Wha about the Mt Difficult - Briggs Bluff walk..... I've never done it but from what I've heard and pictures I've seen there are plenty of views and plenty of cliffs.

Yeah, it's a great area, but whenever I've been up there it's been windier than the Major Mitchell.

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 4:54 pm

north-north-west wrote:
trickos wrote:Wha about the Mt Difficult - Briggs Bluff walk..... I've never done it but from what I've heard and pictures I've seen there are plenty of views and plenty of cliffs.

Yeah, it's a great area, but whenever I've been up there it's been windier than the Major Mitchell.

I was up there last week, it's a nice walk. Very picturesque.
Good for getting back into the rhythm though it can easily be done in a day.
It is very windy and very wet this time of year (most of the tracks were running like creeks and most fords had to be walked through.) and the official camp sites are very exposed. There are lots of outcrops that provide sheltered areas off the track especially near Briggs Bluff if you are careful with the flora of course.

Fri 23 Jul, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi Mike,

I second the Grampians recommendation. Most of it is within a days walk of a carpark. Perhaps have at look at the Victoria range, in particular around the Fortress. Plenty of good caves to sleep in too.

Bill P

Fri 06 Aug, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate that my question was quite open-ended and that the Gramps is a large place!

I'm now considering a walk across the Major Mitchell feature! Should do nicely. I'll have to bivvy up somewhere not too windy..
Post a reply