Sea to Summit

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sea to Summit

Postby Greenie » Sun 04 Jul, 2010 2:32 pm

I was wondering if any one has walk from say just south of Eden on the NSW/VIC border to Mt Kosciusko? A bit like Tim Macartney-Snape but on a much smaller scale.
It is 191Km's in a straight line. Of course the walk would be longer than that..

BTW what is the name of the point on the NSW/VIC border and is there a track to it, from either the NSW or VIC side?
(Note this is also posted in the NSW forum)
Thanks!
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sea to Summit

Postby CaptainC » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 9:17 pm

The point on the coast of the Vic NCW border is Conference Point, near Cape Howe. From the Vic side you could catch a boat from Mallacoota to the eastern side of the inlet (there seem to be a few people on the waterfront who'll do this, and walk along the beach. There are campsites at Lake Barracoota and Lake Wau Wauka. Or you could drive in along the Lakeview track to the eastern side. From NSW you can drive to the Merrica Ranger station then walk to Newtons Beach and head south. There's a book called walking The Wilderness Coast by Peter Cook and Chris Dowd that has good info, not sure of it's still in print.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Greenie » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for that. I will see if can find that book.
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Out_Walking » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 1:03 am

That book is still in print. I picked it up at the Bogong store in the city. A month ago I walked from Cape Conron to Mallacoota through the Croajingolong National Park and that was the only book I could find which had info about the wilderness coast. Good luck!
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria