Recommendations for 4 days Wilson's Prom

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Recommendations for 4 days Wilson's Prom

Postby emma_melbourne » Sat 23 Nov, 2019 8:13 pm

I have a rare 4-5 days off work in December, and am thinking of doing Wilson's Prom - which I've never previously been.

Leaving Melbourne on Friday morning and I want to drive back on Tuesday leaving prior to lunch. (So that's overnighting Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night, Monday night with that last night not too far a walk from carpark ideally.

I'm wanting a hike that is:
- I'm thinking around 4 hours "ish" hiking a day
- I'm envisaging being relatively lightweight, 8 kg base weight with Helinox Zero chair included
- I want a trip which is enjoyable, pleasant, scenic. As I will have been working hard and have a 3 year old to return to, I don't want to be super-exhausted.
- I have very fair skin and will take sun hat and sun gloves etc, and long sleeved sun top and pants, but prefer to not be in super-exposed in terms of sunshine to camp in.

I was thinking perhaps Roaring Meg, Waterloo via lighthouse, but am open to suggestions.

Last year I did the Overland Track around similar time and enjoyed that hike.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Recommendations for 4 days Wilson's Prom

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 23 Nov, 2019 8:23 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:I have a rare 4-5 days off work in December, and am thinking of doing Wilson's Prom - which I've never previously been.

Leaving Melbourne on Friday morning and I want to drive back on Tuesday leaving prior to lunch. (So that's overnighting Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night, Monday night with that last night not too far a walk from carpark ideally.

I'm wanting a hike that is:
- I'm thinking around 4 hours "ish" hiking a day
- I'm envisaging being relatively lightweight, 8 kg base weight with Helinox Zero chair included
- I want a trip which is enjoyable, pleasant, scenic. As I will have been working hard and have a 3 year old to return to, I don't want to be super-exhausted.
- I have very fair skin and will take sun hat and sun gloves etc, and long sleeved sun top and pants, but prefer to not be in super-exposed in terms of sunshine to camp in.

I was thinking perhaps Roaring Meg, Waterloo via lighthouse, but am open to suggestions.

Last year I did the Overland Track around similar time and enjoyed that hike.

Hi Emma,
I've not been down to Roaring Meg/Lighthouse, but have done other parts of the Southern/Eastern circuit.

I'd say your plan is pretty good.
Since it's December and the weekend, you'll probably have to park at overnight hikers parking near Tidal River and get bus up to Telegraph Saddle (unless you want to walk from Tidal to Telegraph Saddle or walk to Oberon Bay first day).
Although the bus situation might be worth checking with Parks people as I'm not sure if it runs on weekdays.

Day 1 (Friday) Telegraph Saddle to Roaring Meg (side trip to South point with day pack).
Day 2. (Saturday) Walk to Little Waterloo Bay (passing light house)
Day 3. (Sunday) Refuge Cove (side trip to Kersop's Peak)
Day 4. (Monday) Sealer's cove
Day 5. Return to Telegraph Saddle (not sure bus will run weekdays so might have to walk down to Tidal. If that's the case, Day 3 could be Little Waterloo to Oberon Bay, and Day 4 Oberon to Tidal . Day 5? )

Or if only 4 days, Day 3 (Sunday) Little Waterloo bay to Sealer's cove.
Day 4 (Monday) Sealer's to Telegraph Saddle.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG
Last edited by Baeng72 on Sat 23 Nov, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 23 Nov, 2019 8:39 pm

With 4 days you can do the whole southern circuit.
E.g. Day 1, tidal to sealers using the shuttle bus. Day 2, sealers to waterloo. Day 3, waterloo to roaring meg inc south point. Day 4 meg to tidal via oberon.
The distances seem big for a relaxed trip but the walking is very easy, you will chew though it, no dramas.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby emma_melbourne » Sat 23 Nov, 2019 9:36 pm

Thank you @Baeng72 for the suggestions and incredible photos, and @CraigVIC for your note on the Southern circuit track being do-able in the timeframe.

I will ring the Tidal River Visitor Centre office of Parks Victoria tomorrow to check what the situation is with the bus - in relation to whether it runs on Friday or Monday, or only weekend Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers, Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 1:16 pm

You don't even need the bus. Drive to Telegraph saddle park-walk-Sealers, Refuge Meg etc. Be prepared for a creek crossing at Sealers-just strip off your shoes and wade-no big deal tho' unless the tide is unusually high-might be worth a check on 'Willyweather Refuge Cove'.
Roaring Meg back to the Saddle if you don't want to go via Tidal River is about three and a half hours.
Walked it last year in various periods of full sun and calm wind, howling winds and heavy rain and didn't see a soul-majestical.
Wouldn't want to be in one of those camp spots in peak time, they looked a mess. Try and have as many days as you can mid week-might be less bodies. Might see you out there-thinking of walking it too early Dec. if the weather is crappy as there will be less people.
Have a great walk.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 1:35 pm

Lamont wrote:You don't even need the bus. Drive to Telegraph saddle park-walk-Sealers, Refuge Meg etc. Be prepared for a creek crossing at Sealers-just strip off your shoes and wade-no big deal tho' unless the tide is unusually high-might be worth a check on 'Willyweather Refuge Cove'.
Roaring Meg back to the Saddle if you don't want to go via Tidal River is about three and a half hours.
Walked it last year in various periods of full sun and calm wind, howling winds and heavy rain and didn't see a soul-majestical.
Wouldn't want to be in one of those camp spots in peak time, they looked a mess. Try and have as many days as you can mid week-might be less bodies. Might see you out there-thinking of walking it too early Dec. if the weather is crappy as there will be less people.
Have a great walk.

Only reason I mentioned bus is they close Telegraph Saddle carpark in summer, or some part thereof.
Worth asking Parks.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 1:52 pm

Sorry didn't realise there are closures. Would be a pain of an uphill walk too from the visitor centre.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 2:42 pm

You can walk the entire southern Circuit. It is beautiful and quite easy to navigate. Water can be found easily at all the campsites. The camp sites have have pit loos. Take your swim suit too. Swimming in the sea after walking each day is fabulous. Avoid weekends and school holidays at the Prom in summer.
I last walked the whole thing a few years ago in December. If you surf then take the board and the wet suit and try Darby beach . It is a good break when it is firing.
Once you have walked the whole southern section and surfed at some of the Prom's surf beaches then the Northern Prom awaits in Easter. You will need a GPS and a sense of adventure. I have walked the Northern circuit three times.
The Prom is where I started my life as a bushwalker. I have taken up XC skiing , surfing , cycling , mountaineering etc as a result :-).
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria