Starling Gap to Federal Mill (Ada Tree) with 7 yo.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Starling Gap to Federal Mill (Ada Tree) with 7 yo.

Postby plottwisted » Mon 18 Nov, 2019 11:57 am

Hi
I'm planning on taking my 7 year old daughter on her first overnight hike this weekend.
Looking for something not too challenging and not too far from Melbourne.
Looking at doing Starling Gap to Federal Mill Campground on day 1. Then day 2, visit the Ada Tree and return to Starling Gap via northern route (past Ada New Mill Site and along Big Creek Road).
Let me know If anyone has any comments about the suitability of this walk for a 7 y.o. She's pretty fit and super excited.
Also, I'm assuming there will be plenty opportunity to collect drinking water near the campgrounds at this time of year (November)?
https://www.visitwarburton.com.au/sites ... ory_lr.pdf
Thanks, Kalu
plottwisted
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Starling Gap to Federal Mill (Ada Tree) with 7 yo.

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 18 Nov, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi,

I hiked with my then 8 year old son from High lead Carpark, up the High lead incline and onto Ada 2 mill site, lunch, then onto Starling's Gap in a day in March. Next day we headed down to Big Pat's, which was easy downhill.

Apart from the High Lead ascent (which you haven't mentioned as part of the trip), there was nothing too challenging in the hike.
I would think the hike from Starling's to cross roads (near Ada 2 mill site) wouldn't be a problem.
The distance is about 8km for that section.
I've not walked to the Ada tree yet, so can't comment on that part of the hike.

Water available at Ada 2 mill site (Ada river just in scrub near camp platforms) and it's only about 500m south from the cross road.
At Starling's, if you walk a few hundred meters on the track to Big Pat's (cross roads from Starling's and you'll see the sign to Big Pat's) there might be water flowing under some board walks that you can collect and filter. When we walked from Warburton to Starling's a month ago, there was water flowing there and it looks like it must be pretty much all the time given the boardwalk. However, if you're driving/starting at Starling's, you'll probably have water there...

IMG_3214.JPG

hike-water0775.png
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bobcrusader » Tue 19 Nov, 2019 12:31 pm

Did this walk recently - lots of mud and leeches in Nov. There is plenty of water around. There is a creek to cross which can be a challenge via a fallen log if the water is up. Also note that some of the signposts have been damaged - be sure of your navigation. Otherwise, you should be fine. It's a pretty easy walk.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby plottwisted » Mon 25 Nov, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi
Thanks for the responses.
I completed this walk on the weekend with four 7 year olds and four adults. We all had a great time and the kids did really well. The weather was perfect.
Day 1 we walked about 10kms from Starling Gap to Federal Mill Campground. At kid pace it took us about 5 hours. We passed several creeks with good drinking water. The campground had plenty of flat tent spots and good fire rings.
Day 2 we walked to the Ada Tree and then back to Federal Mill Campground. We then returned to Starling Gap via New Ada Mill Site and Big Creek Road. We all just walked about 9km back to Big Creek Rd, then two adults went and fetched the cars (3.5 km). This was about 4 hours of walking for the kids.
It's a great introductory hike for young ones. The tree ferns and tall trees are pretty impressive. We saw two snakes on the path, including a big brown snake which did not appear scared of the group and did not want to move off the track for a long time.
Cheers
Attachments
IMAG2278.jpg
plottwisted
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 25 Nov, 2019 7:33 pm

I recommend Beeripmo as a good follow up hike.

Easy two-dayer with a couple of good climbs on the first day then easy on the second. Leave Melb at 9 on Day 1, back home mid-afternoon on Day 2.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Joynz » Mon 25 Nov, 2019 11:41 pm

+ 1 for Beeripmo. Great walk - did it for the second time a couple of weeks ago.

I would suggest leaving Melbourne around 7-7.30am so you can get to Richardson’s Campground and start walking around 10am to allow lots of rests on the first day if needed.

The Beeripmo bush campsite is good (great bushy spot with fireplaces and some low tables, a water tank and toilets). If it’s full or the weather is dodgy there is Mugwamp campsite a few hundred metres further on with a very basic hut (but no water I think).
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria