Big River crossing in between Falls Creek and Mt Bogong

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Big River crossing in between Falls Creek and Mt Bogong

Postby Kiquinn » Fri 25 Oct, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a bushwalking trip from Falls Creek to Mt Bogong for early November and have some concerns about crossing Big River (between Ropers Hut and Madison's Hut/Cleve Cole Hut).

Should the river be passable by this time of year? Hopefully the worst of the snowmelt may have passed.
I have read there is a chain to help people across, does anyone know if this is still there?

Thanks so much.
Kiquinn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Big River crossing in between Falls Creek and Mt Bogong

Postby Xplora » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 5:04 am

It was thigh deep 8/10 according to the last report (see here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=30384&p=382330&hilit=thigh+deep#p382330). The chain is intact. I have had trouble early Nov but I feel this year should be OK barring any big rain event. The snow melt continues but slowly. It can be difficult to gauge the depth but I have used this river height data to get some idea and it sort of works. http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67209/IDV6 ... .plt.shtml This is the first river monitoring station downstream and when it was thigh deep this height was 1.26 from memory. Normal summer height here would be just under a metre and the crossing is about knee deep then. At the moment I would say the crossing is just above your knees (unless you are unusually short). It takes a few hours for heavy rain to affect the level at Joker but it goes down quickly also so a couple of days after a rain event things are back to normal. Hope this helps.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Big River crossing in between Falls Creek and Mt Bogong

Postby Kiquinn » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 7:02 am

This is incredibly helpful! Thanks a lot!
Kiquinn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Return to Victoria