burchell trail, brisbane ranges

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

burchell trail, brisbane ranges

Postby ebanna » Sat 19 Oct, 2019 11:34 am

Hi, I was thinking of taking my kids to camp at boar gully and then at little river campground in the next few days. Does anyone know how reliable the water supply would be at the moment and also is that part of the trail well marked, how difficult is it?
Thank you in advance.
ebanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: burchell trail, brisbane ranges

Postby Eremophila » Sat 19 Oct, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi, did Boar Gully to Little River and back a couple of years ago. Mostly on access tracks, some on well-used dirt roads, especially if you miss the seemingly unnecessary diversion. A little boring but probably a good grade for kids.
Can’t remember any water at Little River but don’t remember carrying heaps of water either. This site is car accessible so possible to check it out pre-hike.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 19 Oct, 2019 7:58 pm

I know this isn't what you're asking but you could camp at Friday's then walk to Old Mill. It's mostly straightforward, you can significantly short cut the return walk and, although I haven't been there lately, it's a safe bet the Old Mill tank would have water.
CraigVIC

Postby ebanna » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 4:27 am

Thank you for the replies. A quick trip report for those who might be curious about this walk. We went from Boar Gully campground to Little River campground. Boar Gully has quite a big tank and seems like quite a reliable water supply. The walk was very pleasant grassy bush mostly, with some views. Very well marked and not difficult except for a short, very steep hill. Little River has a small water tank which was about a quarter full, water supply there seems unreliable. The river is not flowing and apparently very rarely does. It was fun and we would recommend this walk for a quick getaway.
ebanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 8:01 am

Thanks for the report. Did you walk back to Boar Gully, walk to Friday's/Steiglitz, or get a lift out?
I was looking into this back in March, but found it difficult as there's no transport, and being a point-to-point and not having a spare car, gave it a miss.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ebanna » Tue 29 Oct, 2019 5:54 am

We walked back out the way we came as we only had one night and couldn't be bothered doing a car shuffle. On the way back we took a shortcut which probably cut out 1k and skipped the very steep downhill bit.
ebanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria