Snow overnighters in Alpine NP

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snow overnighters in Alpine NP

Postby Xastorm » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 9:27 pm

I’ve about maxed out my Baw Baw NP enthusiasm for this year, and it has just occurred to me that many of the choice hiking areas in the Alpine NP are now off limits due to seasonal road closures. I was really keen to get the snow-shoes on at Mt Howitt but don’t see how I can get there. From my reading of the maps, access to the Lake Tali Karng trail should still be achievable, Mt Stirling is a goer but at $120 to park overnight it is a bit of a costly sleep outside..

Any other suggestions for 1-2night hikes with snow camping within a couple of hours of Melbourne without a) paying entry fees and b) other people :lol:
I have a 4WD and chains. Back of Cathedral/Lake Mountain/Mt Margaret area is a day trip option but maybe not reliably quiet overnight, as I believe there is year round 4WD access to Keppel Hut and the surrounding tracks?
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Snow overnighters in Alpine NP

Postby CaptainC » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 11:02 pm

The walking track network around Lake Talie Karng is still closed from the summer bushfires. See https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/safety/fire- ... ional_park. Maybe the Bluff near Mansfield would be OK. Drive to Sheepyard Flat , Brocks Rd to Eight Mile Gap and then Bluff Link track. From Refrigerator you could take the steep route to the summit or keep going to the locked gate and walk into Bluff Hut.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 9:47 am

If the Howitt Road is still left open to Kellys Lane, you can put together a fairly straightforward route over Reynard to the airstrip and further north. Or something around Mt. Tamboritha. Also maybe the Ligar circuit?

As CaptainC suggested, Brocks Rd gives you access to some good country - as well as the Bluff/Eadley Stoney area, the AAWT route can be gained via the Nobs track and then follow it over Clear and back down.
Is it no longer possible to park at Telegraph outside the gates and walk in? I did that a few times without being slugged with an access/parking fee, but these things do change.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bigkev » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi Xastorm,

I did the Bluff Circuit earlier in winter as a day walk. As has been mentioned it seems to fill most of your requirements. Here's a link to a post I put on my blog if you want to see some photos or a map https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... -park.html

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidn3875 » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 1:19 pm

To use your words Big k...."Sweet". It's always good when the weather Gods smile on you.
davidn3875
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xastorm » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 1:53 pm

You guys rock, thankyou. I'll look further into those suggestions tonight as I have a long weekend next weekend and plan on making the most of it. I went up the Mt Whitelaw side of the AAWT Saturday.. I got the snow camping, but it wasn't the most inspired hike. New ground (to me) is needed!

Whitelaw.jpg
Whitelaw.jpg (128.36 KiB) Viewed 14386 times
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby LLSC » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 6:01 pm

It's a bit more than 3 hours' drive, but I walked up to Mt Wills over the weekend with two others. We stayed at Glen Wills on Friday night, then walked from Glen Wills cemetery and bush-bashed up to the AAWT just south of Wills South, where we put on snow-shoes. There was beautiful walking up to the hut. We walked down the track to come out at Sunnyside on Sunday. At the top, we met a group of 5 who had walked up from the highway via Tallangatta Ski Club and snowshoed from the top of the ski run. It is a consideration if you want free parking and no crowd.
LLSC
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xastorm » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 4:18 pm

I will echo the sentiments.. The Bluff Circuit is "sweet" :D :D :D

Photos uploaded on flickr;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/77837409@ ... 0082302407

Snapseed.jpg
Bluff1

FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Eadley

Did it as a 2 nighter, starting from 8 Mile Flat, up 8 mile spur to the Bluff, camped on the summit the first night, descended via 14 mile spur to camp at Ritchie's Hut, then an easy meander along the Howqua back to the car today.

Things this hike reminded me;
- What goes up must come down. 1100m ascent in one day had my calves complaining.. 1100m descent the next had my knees screaming :lol:
- When the map says "Track badly overgrown" what they mean is non-existent. Much bush-bashing and some following of deer trails ensued, but all good navigation practice.
- And along this line, "Steep" actually means rock scrambling :shock: Should have read Big Kev's writeup a bit better!
- Do not trust the weather ap when it gives you a wind direction/speed.. trust the landscape and the trees. I set up on the summit expecting a gentle breeze and overnight direction change, which was not forthcoming. Tent was wind battered!
- 2x sleeping bags is ace.. was properly warm for the first time on snow.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Tent

All said and done, one of the best views to wake up to for sure! It was just magic up there above the clouds. And awesome to get a new perspective of the places I've been, and those I'm yet to get to.

Thanks for the recommendation guys :D
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks, some great photos Xastorm. You've got an eye for it.

I'm still trying to get over $120 to park overnight! Wonder what the fine for not paying is?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xastorm » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 7:33 pm

Stirling and Buller have a manned pay station so you simply wouldn’t get in without coughing up $$ this time of year :lol:
Though to be fair, it is $60 entry and $60 parking..

There is a big search on for a missing gentleman on Buller at the moment, apparently he drove up overnight? I wonder how he got through the gates.. do they lock them overnight? I’ve only ever ridden my bike up.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 52dne.html

The Bluff was a winner.. no fees and no people.
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 8:08 pm

Xastorm wrote:Though to be fair, it is $60 entry and $60 parking..

:lol: Seeing as we all pay our taxes, that is hardy fair.
Curious though, and sorry if I'm side-tracking the post but what if you have a parks pass, does that help? I do want to get down that way in Winter one day. It looks beautiful covered in snow.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 5:53 am

crollsurf wrote:
Xastorm wrote:Though to be fair, it is $60 entry and $60 parking..

:lol: Seeing as we all pay our taxes, that is hardy fair.
Curious though, and sorry if I'm side-tracking the post but what if you have a parks pass, does that help? I do want to get down that way in Winter one day. It looks beautiful covered in snow.

Things are very different south of the border. You do not need a parks pass to visit any National Park. Resorts are leases within the parks and are controlled by different legislation. Basically they are like a small local government and can levy fees and charges. If you avoid the resorts then it is all free. Entry to resorts covers many things and the most costly is keeping the roads clear. This is the responsibility of the resort most;y (except for the Great Alpine Road - Hotham) and is quite expensive. Dinner Plain can provide a good snow experience and it is free. There are many good walking tracks from there. Mt. Buffalo can also be good at times but lacks reliable snow cover. Many roads are also seasonally closed in parks and state forests so you should always do your research before making a trip. Some roads which remain open are better with a good 4wd.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigkev » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the great report Xastorm, 'sweet' indeed!
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 12:03 am

Mt.No.#3 Refuge Hut usually has snow in Ski season. Free of fees Access is from Carter's Road where it meets Road No.3. From there you would have to carry skis and a pack up to the top of the switchbacks past the winter gate to the snow line. It is 6.2 kms from the Car park to the Hut.From The Hut there should be good BC XC skiing down towards The Razorback Huts at Mt. Stirling. Take a chainsaw and a snow shovel if you do this trip in 2020. I might try it myself. Note to self: Take kicker skins for the return ski ascent to the Hut.
I always snow camp at JB hut in August . I t has free parking and free XC skiing.
:-)
Back in my snow shoe days I went up the Bungalow Spur to Federation Hut at Mt. Feathertop in white season quite a bit.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria