Champion Spur chewed me up and spat me out!

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Champion Spur chewed me up and spat me out!

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 30 Sep, 2019 12:07 am

This hike is back on my radar now that XC ski season is basically over for me for 2019 .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 12 Oct, 2019 3:59 pm

I wonder if Big Kev has a GPS recording of his route from the Twin Knobs summit line down to the Champion Spur fire trail?
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 8:47 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I wonder if Big Kev has a GPS recording of his route from the Twin Knobs summit line down to the Champion Spur fire trail?

Check out his "Goin' Feral One Day at a Time" Blog.
https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... mpion+spur
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigkev » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 4:33 pm

neilmny wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I wonder if Big Kev has a GPS recording of his route from the Twin Knobs summit line down to the Champion Spur fire trail?

Check out his "Goin' Feral One Day at a Time" Blog.
https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... mpion+spur[/quote

Cheers Neil

I've PM'd you PCV
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 12 Dec, 2019 9:31 pm

I did it!. See the trip report in the trip report section
or
go to this weblink

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/bunga ... st-4117797

. I did have trouble finding the fire trail once I had completed 98% of the scrub bash down the spur but as always I went back up to the spine of the ridge and was rewarded with one steep fire trail. I wonder where Big Kev went off the side of the spur ?. Garmin Topo maps shows the position of the fire track to be off slightly to the south side of the spur which is wrong. It is bang on top and keeps heading west down the spur. Rooftops map is more accurate. The SV map and the compass were the best tools I had . The GPS only showed me where I was . I had to use my legs and my wits to reach my destination.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 15 Dec, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigkev » Sat 14 Dec, 2019 9:41 pm

Well done PCV 8)
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 9:09 am

Thank you Big Kev.. I cannot see myself doing that again in a hurry. My Thigh Muscles are still sore after that long steep descent. In a few years the fire trail will become overgrown so it may end up being one of those treks like Hannel's spur that you do once, suffer, achieve the goal and then reflect upon it with rose coloured glasses , once the mental and physical torment has passed from one's memory.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 15 Dec, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 10:57 am

It's healthy to include type II fun amongst outdoor pursuits. Can be aka delayed gratification, however my experience is that individuals who can never reconcile participation in type II activities are generally left off invitation lists.
Planning future trips while buzzing from a current trip is a sure-fire way to ensure further type II fun. "You know, come to think of it, it wasn't that bad..."
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 2:23 pm

"You know, come to think of it, it wasn't that bad..."

Yes, I laugh and recognize that thought process.
It led me to walking the
Northern Prom circuit three years in a row! In fact I am going out on Young's Top which is all off track navigation this Xmas break . The mission is to walk from Young's SEC survey hut to Charlie McNamara's hut [on the Southern side of the Bogong High plains in the Bundara River wilderness ] and back over a couple of days. I have the GPS loaded up with waypoints a plenty along the Garmin Topo Maps route from hut to hut.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 5:23 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:"You know, come to think of it, it wasn't that bad..."

It led me to walking the
Northern Prom circuit three years in a row! In fact I am going out on Young's Top which is all off track navigation this Xmas break . The mission is to walk from Young's SEC survey hut to Charlie McNamara's hut [on the Southern side of the Bogong High plains in the Bundara River wilderness ] and back over a couple of days. I have the GPS loaded up with waypoints a plenty along the Garmin Topo Maps route from hut to hut.

Perhaps try to navigate this route without following the GPS and then just use the GPS every now and then to check your progress. I know the GPS is a new toy for you and I know this area. It is easy to rely on gadgets and this route would be a good one to practise some navigation skills. My personal belief is overuse of electronic navigation equipment leads people to being desensitised to their surroundings. If the equipment fails then you are in trouble if you don't have the skills for remote area/off track navigation. I use a GPS but only to confirm my location or mark a point of reference that I may have to find in bad weather. It has been a helpful tool.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 6:35 am

Xplora wrote:

It led me to walking the

Perhaps try to navigate this route without following the GPS and then just use the GPS every now and then to check your progress. I know the GPS is a new toy for you and I know this area. It is easy to rely on gadgets and this route would be a good one to practise some navigation skills. My personal belief is overuse of electronic navigation equipment leads people to being desensitised to their surroundings. If the equipment fails then you are in trouble if you don't have the skills for remote area/off track navigation. I use a GPS but only to confirm my location or mark a point of reference that I may have to find in bad weather. It has been a helpful tool.

Agree very strongly, particularly with "being desentitised to their surroundings". Easy to find oneself having no idea where they are without the GPS. Also maps on the itty bitty screen are not conducive to gaining a big picture understanding of where you are and where you're going.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 1:23 pm

I have to agree with the GPS being generally only good for confirming where you are, with the odd check here and there being the best way to use it. I prefer the map and compass and using my eyes and ears. In this instance the ridge/ top of the spur was within sight and was to my North. The real Map suggested the fire trail was closer to the top of the spur. The GPS was telling me some things that I thought were rubbish. So from that experience I can tell you what the shortcomings of the gadget are.
Map and Compass skills are the real deal . I was not completely disorientated and lost altogether, just a bit hungry and fatigued really . My experience and instincts told me to go back up to the top of the spur/highest point and continue walking WEST . That worked and has worked in the past and will work again in the future. The contours of the actual terrain in front of you in relation to the full sized topographical map are better ways to orientate oneself. Using a compass in a competent way is invaluable.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Tue 17 Dec, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewp » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 6:33 pm

A bit off-topic, but...
paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The real Map suggested the fire trail was closer to the top of the spur. The GPS was telling me some things that I thought was rubbish. So from that experience I can tell you what the shortcomings of the gadget are.

I don't think you are experiencing shortcomings of your GPS. The GPS will tell you exactly where you are, within the accuracy of a GPS, normally less than 10m. The shortcomings are more likely the accuracy of the map(s) you have installed. The real Map is equally subject to tracks being marked in the wrong place.

For Champion Spur in the image below: the dark blue line is from OSM, the cyan line from Garmin Aus Topo v4, and the brown dashed line from VicMaps data (corresponds almost exactly with OSM). The red bits are where you can see the actual track in Google Earth.

Selection_003.jpg

IMHO tracks are not very accurate in Garmin Aus Topo maps.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 17 Dec, 2019 7:14 pm

I would agree with you about Garmin Aus Topo Maps.
The real SV map was/is more accurate and the Rooftops map is possibly better than both .The Champion Spur fire trail has been recut along the top of the spur. Once you come out of the snow gums and reach the trackless burnt Alpine Ash section, staying on top of the spur is the way to go and keep moving WEST. Now I know that but this could be a useful tip for others who want to try this trek while the fire trail is clear and easy to follow from top to bottom.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Wed 18 Dec, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 6:52 am

andrewp wrote:..........IMHO tracks are not very accurate in Garmin Aus Topo maps.

My experience is the same. I don't even use Garmin Topo anymore for that reason.
I only use OSM.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 11:57 am

What is this OSM you speak of comrade?
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 12:35 pm

Open Street Maps. Very generously offered by the selfsame andrewp for download to your Garmin device. See:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28893&p=374168&hilit=osm+andrewp#p382171
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 3:29 pm

Um, better still, see:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28893&start=30#p385983

Thanks again, Andrew, keep 'em coming.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cammokazee » Wed 18 Dec, 2019 3:47 pm

Xplora wrote:

It led me to walking the

Never owned a GPS thingy & don't ever intend to. Can't see the point in them if you have good maps. I'm sure many here can't understand that but each to their own. Must admit l took some convincing even to carry an EPIRB. A mate who worked Police search & rescue during the winters at Falls drove me bonkers with his nagging. Only took it coz he gave it to me for free & to shut him up. :lol:

Anyway great country up through the Cobungra & Bundara. A lot less traffic also which is a bonus. Looking forward to being back there myself this time next week for Chrissy. Aim to also do some wandering around the high plains with the young bloke seeing we'll be there for 5 weeks.
cammokazee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Thu 19 Dec, 2019 10:02 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:What is this OSM you speak of comrade?

What hey said PCV. Here's the link to the files http://tiny.cc/osm-maps
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ironfox » Mon 21 Dec, 2020 12:06 pm

Inspired by a couple of others on this thread I walked up Champion Spur back in May and appreciated the freshly bulldozed fire trail which, while relentlessly steep made progress easier. The trackless section to the Razorback was ok too but slow and overgrown. Last weekend I decided to descended the spur and, whilst I again didn't have any problems navigating the 'off-track' section up the top I was amazed at the amount of regrowth when I hit the fire trail. In 7 short months a combination of bracken and saplings is quickly swallowing up the cleared firetrail again. As stated by others anyone wishing to attempt this spur would be advised to give it a crack sooner rather than later. The tranquil river section along the valley floor is a rewarding way to finish the walk.
Attachments
IMG_0796.jpg
Regrowth on champion spur firetrail
Ironfox
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 21 Dec, 2020 2:11 pm

I am glad I did that trek down Champion Spur to the river while the track was clear, really clear. It looks like in another year or two it will become a scrub bash all over again.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 10:42 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Victoria