Big River water level

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Big River water level

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 4:16 pm

With snow still melting, rivers and creeks will be higher than usual. Going from Mount Bogong to the Bogong High Plains or vice versa On T and Duane Spurs involves crossing Big River. This may be in flood, and maybe the chain is washed away, as it is every few years. There's a gauging station a way downstream, the Joker, but I cannot find this on the BOM website
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV60154.html

Can someone please direct me to a website that has The Joker gauging figures? Also,is there an indication of a Joker figure for making the T-Duane crossing viable? Thanks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Big River water level

Postby Mark F » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 7:06 pm

Scroll way down to the Mitta Mitta catchment and the first line is the Big River at Jokers Creek (http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67209/IDV67209.583004.plt.shtml plot rather than data).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Xplora » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 5:00 am

The Mitta level at Joker has dropped about 200mm in the last two weeks and the most significant drop was after the last rain. It has been pretty constant for the last week and unless there is more rain on the way, it will continue to fall slowly until the melt is over. I remember this discussion from last year, that being the height of Big River at T spur crossing. Not heard anything about the chain as yet but as there has not been anything profound over winter, I would think the chain should be intact. The crossing may be doable now but it will still be high and flowing fast. Normal summer level at Joker is under 1m.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 5:53 am

Thanks. For some reason I missed the Mitta Mitta catchment.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 6:22 pm

The Big River water level will always be less at the bottom of Timm's Spur rather than at the T spur crossing.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria