Alpine, Buffalo and Eildon NP to be jointly managed.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Alpine, Buffalo and Eildon NP to be jointly managed.

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 5:39 am

CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Alpine, Buffalo and Eildon NP to be jointly managed.

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 12:18 pm

A bit more news about the Andrews government, they've promised to halve camping fees across the state (and plan for a sea to summit walk in the east) if re-elected.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/labor-promi ... across-vic

I can't say I get too upset about the fees (excepting some weird ones like Budj Bim) but it has to be the number one thing that people I meet camping complain about.
CraigVIC

Postby Xplora » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 4:54 am

Halving Mt. Buffalo will make is cheaper than staying in the caravan park at the bottom of the hill. Instead of making promises to cut fees, why don't they promise to inject more money into our parks and the staff who protect them. The parks charging fees are generally better looked after around the camp areas.
The sea to summit walk is Cam Walker's concept (spoken about somewhere in this forum) is in Errinundra NP. I have some reservations about the concept but that park does need something.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 5:39 am

It's a bit hard to understand how it works as there is $105 million of new money going in but it doesn't read as an increase to funding Parks to replace lost camp fee revenue but new campgrounds etc that will surely increase recurring maintenance costs?

Here's the full announcement although there's little detail, https://www.danandrews.com.au/policies/ ... t-outdoors

There's no doubt in my mind the fees and booking system have dramatically improved the experience at some car based campgrounds (eg Lake Elizabeth in the Otways) but at others the opposite could be said (eg. Budj Bim)
CraigVIC

Postby Xplora » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 5:48 am

We live in a very popular camping area and it costs nothing to camp. Never has. The campers bring all their food with them, so they contribute to their own local economy and then leave their rubbish behind which costs our local economy. Our rubbish collection system here is a trailer and up until recently it was open for all so we could never get our rubbish unless you were lucky enough to catch the swap over. Now it is locked, the campers just leave it on the outside of the trailer for the birds and animals to peck at. We don't need to encourage more of that and I am sure it is the same elsewhere.
Money to upgrade 4wd tracks? Davies Plain track has been closed for years but not due to the lack of funds. Parks are still waiting on approvals from the indigenous council. Parks staff cannot dig a hole to place a sign unless approval is given by the indigenous councils and it has to be given each time they want to dig a hole. So they are going to build new campgrounds. Bring in the dozers to clear the trees because people need to a place to camp. Perhaps the new camp grounds will be next to the cafes that campers like so much. I read somewhere, and I think it was from the VNPA, that this current government has declared less National Parks than any other government. Looks like it has it sights on another iconic walk with the Sea to Summit. More luxury private accommodation on the cards?
All policy without any thought of what the money spent could really do to make things better. A bit like the other side giving subsidies for energy efficient fridges. Mt postal vote came yesterday and I will have a hard time finding anyone worthy of a vote.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 6:39 am

I share your rage about the campers....my favourite :evil: the single toilet tissue spread far and wide depositor.
I wonder what upgrading 4WD tracks actually means........perhaps a 2WD can be driven on them???????
I wonder if Dan knows what it means??????
Gotta vote for someone Xplora or you end up with the Trumpster.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 5:56 am

neilmny wrote:I share your rage about the campers....my favourite :evil: the single toilet tissue spread far and wide depositor.
I wonder what upgrading 4WD tracks actually means........perhaps a 2WD can be driven on them???????
I wonder if Dan knows what it means??????
Gotta vote for someone Xplora or you end up with the Trumpster.

I try to make an informed vote so I actually spend time looking into the policies. Fortunately in the upper house you only have to vote below the line up to 5. I have seen the above the line preferences and they do not fit with me for any party. I will try to push out 10 below the line but even that will be hard. For the lower house it is probably a given that the sitting National will be returned but he really needs a cattle prod (in the form of a huge swing) to get himself actually doing anything. I have had multiple dealings with him over the years on various matters and have to say there is none quicker to respond to an email but then you never hear what he has done. Five months later you get back to him with a 'how is that matter going' and the same again. One bloke on the list thinks he is running for council and another wants cattle back in the high country. The ALP candidate has been doing nothing in council for a number of years and was less than helpful when we were trying to sort out our rubbish problem. Council were going to take our facility away entirely as well as charge us for driving an hour to deposit our rubbish. This was the plan for many remote areas of East Gippsland. The donkey vote would put the DLP in and she takes after her father who is on the top of the upper house ticket for the DLP but she actually does give a damn about the local area.

I suspect you are right about the 4wd tracks. Most would be dirt tracks that are 2wd already. We regularly go around the many unofficial campsite on the river and pick up rubbish. Our local rangers are good but they concentrate on the formal sites. Picking up toilet paper is a bit beyond us but it is all over the place. Many of these sites are within 20m of the river so I am starting a push to have people moved on from them.

None of this is on topic so sorry for the hijack. I don't see a great deal of benefit in the parks being jointly managed apart from the recognition of the original owners. As mentioned previously, nothing can be done in the parks now unless you get permission from the indigenous councils and many of them are being deliberately obstructive by delaying any approvals. Lets see the joint management goes in reality.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria