Water on the Leangook Track?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water on the Leangook Track?

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:07 pm

Anyone done this recently and able to advise on the water situation?

In particular:
Is there water in the Coliban Main Channel?
Is there water in/near the Sandhurst Reservoir?
Is it drinkable?

Obviously I’ll treat anything I find.

Thanks!
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Water on the Leangook Track?

Postby 51mondays » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:40 am

Hi Chris the Coliban main Chanel is the potable water supply for bendigo, and flows by gravity from Malmsbury. So it’s pretty clean but it’s treated when it gets to bendigo, so obviously untreated while it’s flowing in the open channel, and there’s dead Roos in there sometimes etc, so needs treating to be sure it doesn’t give you a gut full. It also does not flow all year around, they take a break in the winter, I think the rural season extends to about May and restarts around October but I’m not quite sure of the dates and can’t find them unfortunately. I’m not aware of any tanks or other easy drinking water spots. I live near the intersection of north harcourt Rd and the track, so send me a message if you need to fill up bottles you’re welcome
51mondays
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:54 am

51mondays wrote:Hi Chris the Coliban main Chanel is the potable water supply for bendigo, and flows by gravity from Malmsbury. So it’s pretty clean but it’s treated when it gets to bendigo, so obviously untreated while it’s flowing in the open channel, and there’s dead Roos in there sometimes etc, so needs treating to be sure it doesn’t give you a gut full. It also does not flow all year around, they take a break in the winter, I think the rural season extends to about May and restarts around October but I’m not quite sure of the dates and can’t find them unfortunately. I’m not aware of any tanks or other easy drinking water spots. I live near the intersection of north harcourt Rd and the track, so send me a message if you need to fill up bottles you’re welcome

Thanks!

I’ll do a couple of water drop-offs just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 9:56 pm

Just finished the walk today. A good hike through some typical drylands bush.

The Coliban Main Channel was fantastic - water on hand for the middle part of the hike. It definitely needs to be treated!

A word of warning - you don’t hit the Channel until about 25 km into the walk. This is after you summit Mt Alexander so be sure you have enough water until you get to the Channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby Eremophila » Wed 04 Apr, 2018 8:30 pm

Good to know, thanks.
Eremophila