Second overnighter - suggestions? Falls creek?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Second overnighter - suggestions? Falls creek?

Postby rattler » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 8:11 am

Hi all,

Think I've got the bug.. I'm ready to plan for my next trip. Credit card is hurting.

I'm looking for something where I can practice navigation rather than being limited to a single well-signed trail.

Epic views would also be a plus, rather than the 'tunnel of trees'.

Any suggestions? Xplora had mentioned a Falls Creek loop (Pretty Valley to Dibbins Hut then down to Blairs Hut and up Westons spur then back). It looks like Falls might meet my requirements, but Buller might be better as it's a couple of hours closer to Melbourne?

Thanks for any ideas!
Dave
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Second overnighter - suggestions? Falls creek?

Postby Xplora » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 4:15 pm

rattler wrote:Hi all,

Think I've got the bug.. I'm ready to plan for my next trip. Credit card is hurting.

I'm looking for something where I can practice navigation rather than being limited to a single well-signed trail.

Epic views would also be a plus, rather than the 'tunnel of trees'.

Any suggestions? Xplora had mentioned a Falls Creek loop (Pretty Valley to Dibbins Hut then down to Blairs Hut and up Westons spur then back). It looks like Falls might meet my requirements, but Buller might be better as it's a couple of hours closer to Melbourne?

Thanks for any ideas!
Dave

Leave Buller for a bit. Head to Falls. There is good opportunity to do some navigation practise and even get off track without too much danger getting misplaced. The time difference is not significant because you have to get onto dirt roads from Buller. From Pretty Valley camp, take the road to the SEC hut then follow the aqueduct to Ryders hut and then continue to the end of the aqueduct. Mt. Jim will be on your right. Walk over the weir and then look up the hill to see a post on its own. Head toward that post then set a course to intersect with the AAWT. It is not sensitive area otherwise I would not post it. I could tell you the bearing but that would spoil the fun. You can play like this as much as you like on BHP just avoid bogs. There are landmarks visible all the time and you can practise your navigation but getting a bearing to 3 landmarks. Orientate your map, take a bearing with your compass (Mt. Mackay and Feathertop are your two best) then reverse the bearing by 180 degrees. Draw a line and with 3 points you should have your location. Knowing where you are is the most important thing even if you are in the wrong place.

If you want to do more then you can head to Hotham up Swinders spur and then the Razorback, down Diamantina spur and up Westons. Sometimes it is not just about navigation with a compass. Tracks can be obvious or a bit concealed so the experience is about looking at where a track goes on the map and the general direction. Picking up when it is the wrong way quickly is a matter of time and experience. The wrong way can be worn more as people go there and back.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rattler » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks Xplora, that sounds like a plan

Where's the best place to get a decent map for this area?

I found the two 50k maps below.. I read somewhere I should try to get 25k for hiking?

http://www.bogong.com.au/books-maps-dvd ... 324-s.html

https://mapshop.net.au/msv2.html

Cheers
Dave
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sun 28 Jan, 2018 5:31 am

This is the map I currently use https://www.greentrails.com.au/hiking-g ... mouth-map/
The 1:50000 is fine. 1:25k gives better detail but you can walk off the map easier. Others here may have their favourites. Not sure where you would get these maps but the map shop could be a start. They have a Rooftop series map listed for Bogong High Plains but is is different to the one I have above and cheaper. I also have the Outdoor Leisure map series for Bogong Alpine area. It is good also but the Rooftop maps seem a bit more durable and are also a bit more waterproof. As long as it has contours. We buy our maps in the local shops but that is not so handy if you are looking to plan. Apart from the thunderstorms rolling through, the weather should be OK for a month or more. April starts to get unpredictable. This is now the fire season for the High Plains but things are OK at the present. A couple of small fires are now under control. The walk I suggested has plenty of escape routes or diversions and phone service is good in most places. Portable charging systems are readily available for mobile phones now but I just leave it off unless I want to use it so the battery is good for emergencies.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 30 Jan, 2018 9:57 pm

Have you been to Lake Tali karng to/from MacFarlane saddle? It is a good one to do if the weather looks good. You can swim in the lake. :-) .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby rattler » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks paidal, I'll put that one on the list.

Xplora thanks for the map info, I just went for the one you use. Should be fun.

Dave
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 8:07 am

The Bogong High Plains is good, but perhaps a bit far for a weekend. Maybe go there over Easter with a circuit based on Pretty Valley or near Mount Cope. Tali is nice but there's limited scope for off-track walking. Another option that is not quite so far is the Snowy Plains. Portions of this are like a small Bogong High Plains. Tamboritha Saddle-Reynard region might suffice. Tamboritha Saddle is about 300 kilometres from Melbourne, freeway to Traralgon, then mainly fast roads to Licola, some slow winding sections. Unsealed from 25 minutes or so north of Licola, at the last Wellington River Bridge. Camp on the Friday night on the Wellington, many formal and informal campsites before the last bridge.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby rattler » Wed 31 Jan, 2018 12:02 pm

Nice one thanks, might have to check that out too.

It's Bogong this time and I'll just deal with the drive..map is already on its way!
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 15 Feb, 2018 6:34 pm

Have you walked the southern loop of the Prom. ? It is a must do trek.The Northern Prom. Circuit is more demanding and navigation is tougher, much tougher.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby rattler » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks for that Paidal, I've done a bit of the prom but should do more.

I plan to head out to falls creek next weekend. Weather looks like high teens at falls, low chance of rain.

I've invested in a painfully expensive rain jacket, some super cheap uniqlo heattech thermals, and lightened my pack a few kg.. should be right!
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 6:27 am

Probably a bit early to call the weather for next weekend but by Wed the weather models should be firming. Rain is one thing to look for but also wind speed and direction.
Falls Creek would be a good place to avoid the following weekend (Labor day) unless you get in early Saturday. Even then you will be dodging cyclists training or at best the traffic heading up will be horrible. About 3000 expected for the annual 3 peaks and BHP road will be closed most of Sunday. Eastern side in the morning and western side from midday. From past experience, anywhere on the course will be a nightmare to navigate on the Sunday with riders usually taking up most of the road.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rattler » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 4:23 pm

Okay, 20 degree days, light winds, 9 degrees overnight..sounds pretty good to me.

Am I right in thinking water is easy to find? I see High Plains Creek to the south of the resort, and what looks like little creeks everywhere on the map. Have filter.

thanks
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 5:58 pm

Except for a few spurs and ridges you would be unlikely to go more than two hours without coming across potable water. I'd carry 1-2 litres until you get a feel for the terrain. Also carry a drinking tube, about 5 mm diameter, a metre long, coils into a shirt or hip pocket. High Plain Creek is running within about 500 metres of the start of the last climb up Mount Jim. I've never treated the water on the high plains.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby rattler » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 9:28 am

One more question, I can drive to Pretty Valley Camp and park there, is that right?

Google Maps says yes, but I've learnt to double-check these things.

Thanks
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neilmny » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:24 am

rattler wrote:One more question, I can drive to Pretty Valley Camp and park there, is that right?

Google Maps says yes, but I've learnt to double-check these things.

Thanks

You can drive all the way to the car park at the Pretty Valley Pondage and leave your car there. Can be a busy spot weekends.
Leaving it at Pretty Valley Camp is possible but on long weekends and possibly other weekends the area is overrun with horse riders, horse floats and flies.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 12:50 pm

There's any number of starting points for trips on the western Bogong High Plains. Two that are quite popular are Cope Hut turnoff and Mount Cope track. If you are feeling a bit more adventurous then go up Mount Cope, then backtrack and go south to the saddle, then SW to the creek that goes to the Cope East Aquaduct. It's light scrub, only a short off track section, just follow the creek. From the aquaduct go west over the small valley to Ryders, High Plains Creek, Youngs, Jaithmathang and back. Not many people do this. There's nice waterfalls south of Cope West Aquaduct, and up a nice spur to above Youngs, again no track, but easy. Aim for the pole line at pole 267 or further south if going to Youngs. Water everywhere, many good campsites, lovely views.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 5:50 am

If you intend to do the walk I suggested earlier then you can start at Cope Hut carpark and the track will follow the AAWT to the SEC hut but if you start at Pretty Valley then do not drive down to the gate at the pondage as the track to the SEC hut starts near the camp area. Starting at Cope would not be much different in time but would be a nicer walk on a single track then an old road instead of a gravel road (authorised access only). Likely too late for this information. Hope the trip is great.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rattler » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 6:06 am

Just in time! Thanks Xplora
rattler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria