Baw Baw/Lerderderg overnighter

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Baw Baw/Lerderderg overnighter

Postby Drew » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 4:12 pm

Normally I'd spend time doing my own research, but without much time to plan I've decided I might go on an impromptu overnighter this weekend. So, please excuse my laziness!

Baw Baw - I've never been up there, looks nice for a visit. Any suggestions for a 2 day walk? Seems like Baw Baw village to Mushroom Rocks is the common route. If there's any possibility of a circuit of course that would be preferable!

Lerderderg - Last year I did a circuit from Loh's Lane, down either Lower Chadwick or Ah Kow (I think the former), then along the river and up Bears Head Range Track. That was nice, although really only day walk length. Any ideas for another circuit? Hard to see any other ways to do it, except maybe the same walk with a few km on the road at the start to go down Razorback Track.

Depending on rain predictions though I might avoid Lerderderg - river walking after a serious summer downpour wouldn't be clever.

Thanks
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Baw Baw/Lerderderg overnighter

Postby Drew » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 8:44 am

Looks a bit too stormy and wet for Baw Baw now but not so much rain forecast for Lerderderg area so I think that's makes the choice for me. I'd still like to hear of any alternative routes for either place though!
Drew

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 9:38 am

Circuits are difficult on Baw Baw. It's an easier drive to Erica car park or St Gwinear car park than to the village, which has a lot of slow winding roads. Near Lerdy, watch out for and camp away from car-based morons. Some may not be very social. The water may be suss, not sure, someone who has been there recently can advise.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby akl168 » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 9:50 am

For BB, I agree with Lophophaps. I much prefer driving to and starting from the other side, i.e. Mt Erica or St Gwinear carparks. You should be able to easily find a nice campsite in the Phillack Saddle area, which I personally think is much more attractive than camping at Mushroom Rocks. Then pitch your tent and dump your packs and easily walk to the BB summit. If you have more than one car, then you could do a car shuffle thing and limit having to backtrack too much. Maybe start from St Gwinear and enjoy BB on the first day, and then smash back to Mt Erica on the second.
akl168
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drew » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks both of you. I'll try that for Baw Baw next time - as well as wet and stormy it also looks like getting pretty cold up there tomorrow!

Near Lerdy, watch out for and camp away from car-based morons. Some may not be very social. The water may be suss, not sure, someone who has been there recently can advise.

I hope to avoid the car-based morons by staying well away from car camping spots. Do you mean the water may be suss as in needs treating, or as in there mightn't be much? Surely if I walk along the river there will at least be some decent pools. Hopefully rain today to get things flowing anyway.

I think I have a route:
- Loh's Lane, along Great Dividing Trail to Razorback Track, then Razorback Nth down to river.
- Along river to campsite at either Ah Kow ruin (apparently there's a flat, grassy spot there) or Bears Head Range Tk (definitely a spot there).
- Depending on how far i want to walk, either up Bears Head Tk or along river to the weir, then up Long Point Tk.
Drew

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:52 am

Camping at Mushroom Rocks does not appeal. It's a short distance from the car park, and it's a bit gloomy. By going over St Phillack and camping at the village turnoff in the saddle you are well placed to go further down the AAWT. A loop walk to the village or Baw Baw may be possible. My map is from the mid-1980s, so I'm unsure where the tracks are. The saddle is fairly sheltered and has nice views. Water is down south-west a 100 metres or so.

Lerdy water may be suss due to not being potable. There's farm runoff, not good. There are very nice pools in most seasons, but less so towards the end of summer or after a drought. I do not know the region well enough to comment on the route.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Tue 16 Jan, 2018 2:26 pm

I did the Lerderderg route mentioned above, camping at Bears Head track and walking downriver on day 2 to the weir. A very nice walk. Such a great, wild spot so close to Melbourne.

I was fairly lucky with the rain, with less falling on me than in nearby Bacchus Marsh or in Melbourne. On Saturday I walked in light rain most of the afternoon and it made the river walking extremely treacherous - like someone had poured oil on the rocks! This slowed my progress hugely. Being alone, I certainly didn't want to have a bad tumble, so I walked very carefully, and avoided the river bed entirely in some sections (which meant scratchy scrub-bashing along the banks instead).

A couple of close encounters with red-bellied black snakes before the rain started, dozens of goats, lots of birds. Lots of lovely, deep pools of water - I had one swim as my afternoon coffee brewed.

After seeing nobody all day I found a large group of 8 set-up at my intended campsite. They were very nice and accommodated me despite there not being much space. I enjoyed the company, the shelter of their tarp and their chocolate brownie!

River walking on dry rocks on day 2 was at least 50% faster and much more enjoyable. I'd advise trying to stick to dry weather for walking along the river bed.

Day 1 was only about 16km but fairly tough with all the slipping, concentrating and scrub bashing. Day 2 about 10km with a decent climb but easy otherwise. I was done by 1:30.
Drew

Return to Victoria