Mt Stirling 2030 community consultation????????????

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Stirling 2030 community consultation????????????

Postby neilmny » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 6:24 pm

neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Stirling 2030 community consultation????????????

Postby Xplora » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 5:09 am

I take it this is only concerning the area within the resort boundary? Also take it to mean that it all comes down them wanting to build accommodation but again it is within the resort boundary. Is there a hint about building the connecting road again? There is no indication of how big they want to build but all will be run with sustainable power. Resort goers like their power so perhaps they will get Elon Musk onside to provide it. The lack of power may have prevented development prior as generators would have been the only option (such as they used at the other resorts before the grid came). Sustainable power has improved over the years but it still needs batteries and they don't like hairdryers.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 5:32 am

Also plans afoot for Mt. Buffalo.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 7:21 pm

www.mtstirling.com.au/Mount%20Stirling% ... tation.pdf

The Trojan Horse of Lego Land type development has been wheeled out again!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby neilmny » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 7:38 pm

It doesn't read like much in fact I found it hard to find the message....maybe I wasn't concentrating properly.....but I suspect a Trojan Horse also.
I guess this time as xplora mentioned it is an Alpine Resort. Sealing the road to TBJ (with Vicroads help) is this good or bad???????
It's a wonderful place I hope they don't stuff it.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:33 am

neilmny wrote:It doesn't read like much in fact I found it hard to find the message....maybe I wasn't concentrating properly.....but I suspect a Trojan Horse also.
I guess this time as xplora mentioned it is an Alpine Resort. Sealing the road to TBJ (with Vicroads help) is this good or bad???????
It's a wonderful place I hope they don't stuff it.

I tend to agree that they did not really say exactly what they specifically intended to do which then makes comment in the consultation difficult because you have to speculate. Are they intending to build a whole new resort to the same extent as Dinner Plain for example? Will it be a baby Buller? I personally cannot see anything wrong with sealing the road as it would be better than the other idea of a connecting road to Buller and it will make it safer for people to access the resort area in winter. We do tend to be a bit cynical or suspicious when governments or RMB's want to build things but this could be a better option if constrained to the resort. Without detail there is no way to comment constructively. As the info states, Stirling is the only ski resort that has more summer visitors than winter and that would be the case for a number of reasons. Sometimes the snow is not there but also there is nowhere for people to stay. Does this mean they want to increase the winter visitation or satisfy the need for summer tourists? Likely both but how many are they wanting to cater for? I think it would be better if there was something a little more visual on offer as to their plan. In time Stirling may end up a swarm of brightly coloured Aldi shoppers in the winter but that means you just have to go a little further out to find some peace, much like Dinner Plain and I like Dinner Plain because it is so family friendly and the people who go there are so down to earth. You do have to be careful which child you grab as they are all wearing the same outfit.

There is certainly an argument for some facilities at Stirling and at times we have to consider progress to be inevitable. If done in an appropriate manner then I would not object.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 6:18 am

One thing about Mt Stirling as a snow play/cross country ski location is that it has a far more reliable snow fall than Lake Mountain.
It is a long way from Melbourne in comparison to Lake Mountain but is far more attractive in a lot of ways.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:50 am

I would Prefer that Mt. Stirling be left just as it is . I would also appreciate it if the feral animals and noxious flora such as blackberries that are found within the resort boundaries could be eradicated.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby CaptainC » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:28 pm

There's lots of posts on the Friends of Mount Stirling facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/StirlingFriend ... Khrmsj4hRI
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 4:24 am

CaptainC wrote:There's lots of posts on the Friends of Mount Stirling facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/StirlingFriend ... Khrmsj4hRI

Were you referring to lots of posts about this topic or just posts in general? I could only find one post from PCV which reads the same as the one he has here. I did note there was a draft strategic plan which they had put out so maybe there are more clues in that.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rsser » Mon 25 Dec, 2017 6:01 am

There's a survey you can fill out for the consultation.

It asks you to identify yourself but provides no statement about privacy. Research 101 Fail. Incompetent and unethical.
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earwig » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 1:38 pm

It seems the survey is the only way to comment. I couldn't find any email or postal address for written feedback.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rsser » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 2:15 pm

PM me if you want one.
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria