Harrietville Overnighter Suggestions

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Harrietville Overnighter Suggestions

Postby HarryS11 » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm heading up to Harrietville soon for an overnighter with a mate who hasn't hiked the area before and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for an overnight hike? We're looking to do something reasonably challenging but it must be in a circuit starting and ending in Harrietville and preferably it'd have plenty of good views and an opportunity to summit Feathertop.

So far I'm considering two options, the first of which involves going up Bon Accord spur then taking the Razorback to Feathertop and camping at Fed hut. The second day would consist of a dawn summit and going down bungalow spur to Harrietville. The other option is going up Bungalow, camping at Fed or MUMC and heading back down Bungalow on the second day after summiting. I have also considered the NW Spur track but the lack of views and difficulty has so far ruled it out for an introductory hike.

Has anyone got any suggestions or opinions as to what we should do?

Thanks,
Harry
HarryS11
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Harrietville Overnighter Suggestions

Postby north-north-west » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 7:47 pm

The climb up Bon Accord is rather unforgiving, so be prepared to camp earlier if progress is slower than planned. There are some sheltered spots along the ridge, particularly near High Knob.

Bungalow is not a long climb, so if you did it up and down your days would be shorter. Depends show hard you want to work on that first day. Bungalow to Feathertop and back can be done as a day walk.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:00 am

Bon Accord to Fed hut or MUMC would be a challenge for a day but not impossible with an early start. At least day two would be quick. Going either direction is doable and all depends on your available time. NW spur also puts you 5km out of Harrietville so better to leave that for another day. I think you have all the options sorted.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:33 pm

The other two routes back down to the Ovens river valley floor which are less travelled are Champion spur and the Northern Razorback/ Stoney tops track.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 6:13 pm

Camping on top of the Diamantina spur is excellent. There is no water but take two empty 4 litre bladders and fill up at the spring on the MUMC hut track.One imagines even on bank holiday long weekends in green season Fed . hut would be horrendously busy while the D. spur camp site would be rather peaceful indeed.It has better scenery too.I am sold on that spot for sure!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby HarryS11 » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for all the help! We ended up going up Bon Accord then taking the razorback to MUMC for a well earned rest. The second day we staggered out at 11:30 am, summited feathertop and raced down to the Harrietville bakery via Bungalow spur. I'll try and upload a more detailed report with pictures in the next few days.
HarryS11
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria