Need recommendations: first hike around Melbourne

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Need recommendations: first hike around Melbourne

Postby Rileyr » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi everyone,
My partner and I are moving to eastern melbourne in a bit over a week, and we have a little bit of time before starting work. We would love to squeeze a hike in!

Do you have any recommendations for a 1-3 night hike around that area? Maybe even longer?

Where would be your first pick and why?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Need recommendations: first hike around Melbourne

Postby Rileyr » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 7:42 pm

Wilsons prom maybe?

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 7:09 am

Your query was probably a bit miss leading. It looked like you wanted something near to the Eastern Suburbs.
Wilsons Prom is a long way from Melbourne and about 3 1/2 hours from the Eastern Suburbs if I recall our last trip time correctly.

Wilsons Prom is a great place but you have to book campsites https://www.parkstay.vic.gov.au/wilsons ... ional-park and spaces out in the bush are limited.
Read the various threads on Wisons Prom in the Victoria section and the Parks Vic website for more information. The Cup Weekend is coming up and everywhere in Victoria is going to be flat out and likely booked out but if you wait until after Cup Day the majority of people will have gone back home.
https://www.trailhiking.com.au/wilsons- ... circuit-2/

There is many great places for a multi day walk if you are prepared to travel a bit. Have a look in this section for some ideas viewforum.php?f=46
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 9:30 am

Baw Baw Plateau is an amazing area and less than 2 hours away.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rileyr » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 11:34 am

neilmny wrote:Your query was probably a bit miss leading. It looked like you wanted something near to the Eastern Suburbs.
Wilsons Prom is a long way from Melbourne and about 3 1/2 hours from the Eastern Suburbs if I recall our last trip time correctly.

Wilsons Prom is a great place but you have to book campsites https://www.parkstay.vic.gov.au/wilsons ... ional-park and spaces out in the bush are limited.
Read the various threads on Wisons Prom in the Victoria section and the Parks Vic website for more information. The Cup Weekend is coming up and everywhere in Victoria is going to be flat out and likely booked out but if you wait until after Cup Day the majority of people will have gone back home.
https://www.trailhiking.com.au/wilsons- ... circuit-2/

There is many great places for a multi day walk if you are prepared to travel a bit. Have a look in this section for some ideas viewforum.php?f=46
Thanks Neil, thats good info!
Your right I should have said that im willing to travel a bit. 3.5 hours isnt too bad for a multi day hike.
We would be looking to go mid november, and probably mid week to avoid traffic on the trail.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 11:36 am

Strider wrote:Baw Baw Plateau is an amazing area and less than 2 hours away.
Thanks Strider, ill look into it!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 1:12 pm

Mid week at the Prom in Nov. would be rather unhurried and peaceful. It can become wet and cold at the Prom. in Spring so be prepared.
The Baw Baw N.P. is well worth a trip.
The Upper Howqua River area up to the hut and camping area at MacAlister Springs via the Howitt spur and Mt. Howitt offers a number of possibilities heading north or south on the AAWT.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria