Mount Bogong - Eskdale Spur hut spelling

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Bogong - Eskdale Spur hut spelling

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:59 am

I am attempting to determine the correct spelling of the hut on the Eskdale Spur, Mount Bogong. I have seen Michell, Michelle, Michel, Mitchel and others. Can anyone clarify this point with a source citation? Thank you.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Mount Bogong - Eskdale Spur hut spelling

Postby peregrinator » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 12:04 pm

Lophophaps wrote:I am attempting to determine the correct spelling of the hut on the Eskdale Spur, Mount Bogong. I have seen Michell, Michelle, Michel, Mitchel and others. Can anyone clarify this point with a source citation? Thank you.

Owes its name to Howard Michell (as Cleve Cole, a contemporary, also lends his name to CC hut). For a reference, see Graeme Wheeler, The Scroggin Eaters: a history of bushwalking in Victoria, Federation of Victorian walking clubs (Vicwalk) Inc., Melbourne (1991), pp.59, 60, 68. The original hut was built in 1956; Siseman and Brownlie, Bogong National Park, Algona Publications (1986).
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 4:28 pm

Thank you. I have this book ... somewhere. I thought there might be a reference to Michell Hut in Huts of the high country, which I do not have. The scroggin eaters did not occur to me.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 7:45 pm

Lops, in case you were wondering Michell is pronounced as in Michelle not Mitchell.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria