High Country in Snow - Trip Suggestions/Advice

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

High Country in Snow - Trip Suggestions/Advice

Postby Explorer_Sam » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 4:15 pm

G'day,

I'm organising a snow trip as a part of a uni project, and I'm looking mainly for some suggestions on where to go, but also for any relevant advice people want to share.

Background

My only relevant snow experience was on Mount Feathertop last year, 23rd - 24th September. It was late in the season, but there was still plenty of snow. Up and back via Bungalow Spur, camping in the snow at Fed Hut. The first night the surface was slushy so I just kicked my steps. Second day the surface was hard, I used MicroSpikes to start but took them off as the snow thawed. I carried snowshoes but didn't get the chance to use them.

My cohort and I are heading up to Mount Stirling from this Thursday the 10th August to Sunday the 13th August on a snow trip. I have elected to snowshoe. I'll carry my Microspikes so that I can give them a proper run too. We'll be travelling in the snow, as well as camping and cooking.

What I'm looking for

For the project, I need to make up six days of practical, but a couple of them ideally will be leading/helping out with a school or commercial group (if anyone knows of any opportunities, get in touch). That means that four days is ideal for this private trip. I want a challenge, but I understand that with my level of experience, some things may be too dangerous without the proper training/equipment. I will have snowshoes, MicroSpikes and ski poles for travel, anything extra I would need to buy/borrow. I had my sights set on Bogong, but I am worried that it won't be possible without crampons and an ice axe (disagree?).

Dad will probably come with me, but his snow experience is very similar to my own. I have friends with more snow experience who could potentially join me, but that is not certain.

Things to consider

- huts/emergency shelters
- ski poles/navigation
- access to trailhead
- timing (I assume I'd want to go pretty soon, no later than mid-September, to ensure there is still plenty of snow?)

Thanks,
Sam.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: High Country in Snow - Trip Suggestions/Advice

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 4:37 pm

Fainters? If you go in from Trapyard Gap you have huts at Cope, Cope Saddle, Pretty Valley, Tawonga ,and there's also Bogong Jacks down the other end of the range.
Road to Langford area, over Cope, down the the AAWT, follow that to the Jim junction, then on past Weston Spur and cross country along the Niggerhead ridge to the Fainters. Plenty of camping options as well as the huts and some stunning country under snow. You can vary the return route by using the track to Pretty Valley, and it's also very easy going to make a detour over Bundara rather than following the track down to Cope Saddle junction. I've done this route over three days in early September with snowshoes and that was all I needed as most of the slopes aren't steep enough to need an ice axe.

If you don't mind the road walk from Trapyard (maybe a couple of hours at most), there are plenty of options once you get to Langford/Cope.
Or you can go in from Bogong Village. Free parking again, and a bit of a walk up to the snow line, but there is the hut at Bogong Jacks (nice sheltered campsite), and the Tawonga Huts are an easy day away (although often popular with cross-country skiers).
Last edited by north-north-west on Mon 07 Aug, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby neilmny » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 4:37 pm

I can't help with the major plan Sam but I think you can learn a lot from your trip to Mt Stirling. It's a great place without being too remote. Having said that it can still get really wild particularly above the tree line.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Explorer_Sam » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:37 pm

north-north-west wrote:Fainters? If you go in from Trapyard Gap you have huts at Cope, Cope Saddle, Pretty Valley, Tawonga ,and there's also Bogong Jacks down the other end of the range.
Road to Langford area, over Cope, down the the AAWT, follow that to the Jim junction, then on past Weston Spur and cross country along the Niggerhead ridge to the Fainters. Plenty of camping options as well as the huts and some stunning country under snow. You can vary the return route by using the track to Pretty Valley, and it's also very easy going to make a detour over Bundara rather than following the track down to Cope Saddle junction. I've done this route over three days in early September with snowshoes and that was all I needed as most of the slopes aren't steep enough to need an ice axe.

If you don't mind the road walk from Trapyard (maybe a couple of hours at most), there are plenty of options once you get to Langford/Cope.
Or you can go in from Bogong Village. Free parking again, and a bit of a walk up to the snow line, but there is the hut at Bogong Jacks (nice sheltered campsite), and the Tawonga Huts are an easy day away (although often popular with cross-country skiers).

G'day NNW,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get the maps out and have a look at some of the options you mentioned.

What is navigation like here? Lots of snow poles, etc.? I'm sure there's plenty on the AAWT but how about from Jim Junction to Niggerhead and Fainters?
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:12 pm

No poles on the firetrail, but the track west of Jim junction is poled until you rejoin the road. Only markers beyond that are the summit trigs. I never had any trouble navigating the area regardless of conditions, but I know it reasonably well, having been in there often enough during the green seasons. Nearly got lost once when going up from Bogong Jacks in blizzard conditions but a chance sighting of another party's snowcamp saved me. Next day was perfect, of course.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby FootTrack » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 10:41 pm

Hey Sam,

You might already be aware, but the Vic Emergency Service put out this avalanche warning today...

ADVICE - AVALANCHE

An Advice message has been issued for the Victorian Alps:

Avalanches have occurred today.

Ski resorts have been conducting controlled avalanches today to reduce the risk of avalanches at resorts.

Warmer weather tomorrow will increase the risk of avalanches. Strong winds are also increasing the risk.

You should avoid activities such as skiing, snowboarding, or hiking in remote areas of the Alps as there is an increased risk of avalanches. The safest area for skiing and winter activities is within the patrolled resort areas.

What you should do:
- You should be aware of the risks of avalanches outside of patrolled resort areas.
- When driving you should stay on main roads. Observe road closures.
- Experienced skiers and snowboarders should be aware that avalanches in backcountry areas is highly likely on snow covered steep slopes.
- You can find information on fitting snow chains to your car here: http://www.snowsafe.org.au/chain-fitting/

Impacts in your area:
There are a number of roads closed in the area. Check the VicRoads website (traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/) for road closures or call 13 11 70.

All ski resorts remain open. You should check ski resort websites and talk to ski patrols about the latest conditions.
Your safety can not be guaranteed outside of the patrolled resort areas.

Stay informed: http://bit.ly/2wzoiFH

Just something to keep in mind with your route-setting. I am yet to do an avalanche safety course, but I would think that the Fainters area would carry a fairly high avalanche risk based on gradient alone.

I hope your trip goes well.
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 12:37 am

Six days practical is the killer. In the high country almost certainly a cold front will hit you during the "snow" season. A long week-end not too far from help would be a good start. But if it has to be 6 days, the cold fronts generally abate by mid October, so late October, early November would be my call, still plenty of snow in the high country.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 7:09 am

I think NNW has given sound advice. If you are looking for school groups then contact Bogong School, The Alpine School or Mittagundi. You have to have the Police checks and working with children certification. Mittagundi are always looking for volunteers for winter programs and the paperwork needed is easy to satisfy. The Long Spur to Bogong is pretty safe with Cleve Cole Hut for shelter but it is a big day in heavy snow. I haven't needed crampons on Eskdale spur to Bogong but have on the Staircase. I was out yesterday from Trapyard Gap on the skis and the snow is covering some of the road markers. It would be a good place to start but getting to the gate yesterday was not for the ill prepared or inexperienced. Some idiot in a 2wd tried to get there and ran off the road. It is not always like that but remember that even if you get to the start you have to ensure you can get out if the weather changes. There was about 6km of deep fresh snow to get through. We caught up with a Mittagundi crew who were short a volunteer. You can google for details. Since your experience is not extensive, staying close to phone reception would be best. If you are not with Telstra then get a SIM card from them or Aldi but 000 works regardless of network. Walking the mountains in winter can be challenging regardless of where you go. I like the Fainter suggestion and if you stay to the track, avoiding cornices then it would be fine re Avi danger. If you are after steep hills then Bogong will do it for you. A loop from Camp Creek Gap up Eskdale spur to Cleve Cole, T spur, Duanne spur to Ropers Hut, Timms spur to Quartz ridge (camping at Bogong Creek Saddle) then up to Bogong and down Eskdale to the car. Weather is always important but that is the mountains. You will be carrying heavy loads for 4 days in the winter. You will eat more to stay warm but drink less. I usually pack for an extra day which can be rationed if needed. Layer your clothing as you will get hot. Good wet weather clothing, top to bottom is essential. Always keep a dry pair of socks for camp. Only once have I worn every bit of protective clothing but that once was enough for me to take it every time. I don't carry a snow shovel, others do. I dig with my snow shoes but you will need to dig your snow pegs out the next morning so a small trowel would be helpful. Tie some cord to them as well. You have probably worked that one out already. Days are short and walking harder so set your daily distance no more than 2/3 of your summer walking in the mountains. 12km is about as far as I like these days but when conditions are good such as firm snow and not too many big hills, 16km is OK but you feel it. Conditions yesterday would have made 10 feel like 16 in snow shoes with a heavy pack. September weather is fickle so expect some bad stuff. Be prepared to call it off or sit it out.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Explorer_Sam » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. After much deliberation, this is the route I plan to take over 4 days.

Day 1: Windy Corner (Falls Creek) to Cope Hut via Bogong High Plains Road and AAWT

Day 2: Cope Hut to Tawonga Huts

Day 3: Tawonga Huts to Cope Saddle Hut via Pretty Valley (Fainter Firetrail + Pretty Valley Rd/Track)

Day 4: Cope Saddle Hut to Windy Corner via AAWT or Bogong High Plains Rd (depending on time and weather)

Any thoughts?
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 7:45 pm

An early start is needed on the first day, indeed most days. Much of the route is on a skiing highway, so stay to one side. In bad weather it may be hard to achieve some days, so take a good tent and have campsites and alternatives sorted before you go. One hut that may work is Ryders. From there the aquaduct is fairly sheltered to east of Jim, up and over to Tawonga Huts. If you go Tawonga Huts to Pretty Valley, why go to Cope Saddle Hut? This hut is small, has no airlock, is very exposed, and probably still leaks warmth. In bad weather it could be hard to find, and the aquaduct is open, can fall into this. Basing at one hut and doing day trips may be an option. You cannot count on the huts being found or empty.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 4:23 pm

So we ended up going from Falls to Wallaces on Day 1. To Pretty Valley on Day 2. Stayed at Pretty Valley and explored the nearby hills on Day 3. And back to Falls over Ruined Castle on Day 4.
I'll get a trip report on my blog soon, got a big assignment to write first.

Looking to next winter... Are the Fainters and Jaithmathang alright for snowshoeing? What's navigation like up there?
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 4:45 pm

The Fainters and Jaithmathang are not that different from other parts of the high plains except they are a little more remote. Lower sections may be tricky due to trees. Some parts are steep, nut not unduly so. The hill behind (east) of Pretty Valley Hut is not as steep as some of Fainters and Jaithmathang. Winter navigation in most pars of the high plains is easy or hard, and depends on the weather. I've had winter days of brilliant sunshine, and days of total whiteout.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 6:42 am

Well done Sam. Obviously keen for more.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 9:05 pm

Explorer_Sam wrote:So we ended up going from Falls to Wallaces on Day 1. To Pretty Valley on Day 2. Stayed at Pretty Valley and explored the nearby hills on Day 3. And back to Falls over Ruined Castle on Day 4.
I'll get a trip report on my blog soon, got a big assignment to write first.

Looking to next winter... Are the Fainters and Jaithmathang alright for snowshoeing? What's navigation like up there?

Hi
I would walk the Tawonga Huts / You ate my Tongues/ Fainters/ Bogong Jack saddle/ Bogong Village route this summer and be aware of what it looks like when you cannot see anything ;-P because of a whiteout. There are no poles or huts out there. Bogong Jack hut is barely worth the effort but if the wind is killing you then that hut may save your life. It has no heating apparatus at all.
There are two routes to Salt Camp Creek on the Fainters route. One is along the treeline and the other one is cross country keeping the escarpment that d rops off steeply to the Kiewa Valley to one side( East , I think ).
The Fainters would be quite testing for navigation in bad weather at any time of the year. They are very exposed.I have been up there twice in green season in warm fair weather , approaching the summits from both Tawonga huts and more recently from Bogong Jack Saddle.
I have just about reached my limit with multi night snow shoe touring and I am making the transition to XC / BC skis. It will take about two seasons of diligent application but the glide you get on skis makes snow shoes seem quite laborious as a mode of white season transport.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria