GSWW

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

GSWW

Postby RahjiM » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 2:36 pm

Can anyone give me some advice on which sections of the Great South West Walk are the most interesting to walk. Given its about 250kms I wont be taking on the whole loop, but some advice from those with experience as to the 'best' bits would be appreciated.
Many thanks
RahjiM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: General Enquiry
Region: Victoria

Re: GSWW

Postby Drummo62 » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 4:03 pm

I walked the full loop in March 2015. If was only going to do smaller sections my preference would be the Capes & Bays section or the Glenelg River gorge. The first and last day in and out of Portland involve a bit of road walking so if you can arrange transport to avoid that it would be preferable. I found the beach walking a bit tedious but that may have been more to do with the soft sand and head winds. Its a very enjoyable walk and although you aren't far from civilisation I hardly saw another hiker.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MickyB » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 4:42 pm

I haven't actually walked any of it but have travelled upstream from Nelson to approx Hirth's Landing by boat. It's a beautiful stretch of river and would love to walk that part of the track in the future.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 4:59 pm

I agree with MickyB, I haven't done it but it is on the bucket list to walk the
Glenelg River section or maybe even kayak it instead.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 8:33 am

I lived near it as a kid. Best bit is Point Danger to Bridgewater Caves/lakes. Go down to the springs.

The Glenelg Gorge and Discovery Bay are about equal. They both have their highlights, but can get repetitive. I'd say the beach is slightly nicer. If you walk anticlockwise you'll be more likely to have a tailwind (better in winter - no rain in face, not so good in summer - flies in face).
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 8:53 am

There was an article about the GSWW in the magazine, February 2016, picture of a GSWW beach on the cover. Sarah should be able to provide advice, email at the end.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby GregR » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 9:53 pm

I walked from Moleside to Nelson just before Xmas. Highly recommend it. Very interesting and varied walk watching the river banks turn into a Gorge over the 3 1/2 days. Good campsites and no worries with water. We got a lift to Moleside from the Friends of the GSWW and left a car at the Nelson Pub. Recommend if you go getting in touch with them for a lift at a modest fee to save trying to organise a car shuffle.The Friends that is not the Pub!

The Capes I have only walked around as day walks, but I can see they would be a good Multi day walk

Cheers

Greg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm interested in potentially walking the full GSWW in the middle of the year but I am wondering, am I allowed to camp outside the designated campgrounds (i.e. wild camp)? I'm not particularly interested in paying $10.80 per night to stay in the campgrounds as that's effectively $150 to walk the GSWW.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 5:27 am

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 8:09 pm

From a quick look at the Parks website, the official answer would appear to be “no”. But as neilmny says.....

Still a cheap holiday in any case.

As mentioned above, the Friends of the GSWW are very helpful with pickups and drop offs, food drops etc.
Eremophila

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 3:42 pm

I've walked most of it in two trips:
Trip 1 - The Springs to Portland. With my 15 year old son - his first overnight hike. Did it over Easter.
Day 1 - Parked at the Portland police station, took a taxi to the blowholes then walked "backwards" to the Springs to camp overnight (2-3km)
Day 2 - Trewalla Camp. Time it so you are at Bridgewater Beach cafe for lunch - the burgers are huge! (15km)
Day 3 - Mallee Camp. Cake and coffee at the lighthouse. (15km)
Day 4 - Back to the car then home. (22km)
Summary - great ocean and cliff views and wildlife (roos, seals, etc). A fairly popular section with multiple groups at most campsites. A fair drive (4 hours) from Melbourne but definitely worth it.

Trip 2 - Nelson to Portland (inland route). Solo walk with some long days. Did it over a 5-day Melbourne Cup weekend.
Day 1 - Parked at the Portland police station, met up with one of the Friends of the Walk who drove me to Nelson for a donation (I gave him $50 for the Friends and $20 for his fuel). Overnight at Pattersons Camp (20km).
Day 2 - Moleside (30km)
Day 3 - Cobbobonee (35km)
Day 4 - Cubby's (25km)
Day 5 - Back to the car then home (20km)
Summary - river sections are good. Inland sections are mostly interesting but there is a bit of road-bashing. The track (off-road) can get wet and there were quite a few snakes - mostly tigers. A less-popular section with two nights by myself, one with one other person and one with four other groups. Quite a few daywalkers on the river sections.

Overall a very worthwhile walk and the Friends do a great job.
Will definitely fill in the section I've missed when I get around to it.
ChrisJHC

Postby Eremophila » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 8:53 am

Oh yes the Bridgewater Bay Cafe is lovely! Nice meals and outlook.

There used to be a bus which ran between Portland and Nelson which was handy if you wanted to skip the beach walking sections or start from Nelson, the driver would drop you off anywhere along the main road. Alas it’s no more.
Eremophila

Return to Victoria