Best day walks around Dinner Plain/Hotham?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best day walks around Dinner Plain/Hotham?

Postby overlandnoob » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi all. Heading up to Dinner Plain for a few nights next week with a group of friends who are interested in a few day walks. Can't imagine they'll be keen for much more than that unfortunately :(

I've never been to the area and have been looking for ideas for the most interesting day walks up there. Which would you say are the best huts/viewpoints around? We're staying at Dinner Plain but could drive to Hotham or Harrietville. I would like to do Feathertop myself via the Bungalow track but I think it will be too much for most of the group to do in a day. Would I be right in thinking that the Bungalow track is the easiest/shortest route up to Feathertop from a 2wd accessible road?

I've also been considering (closer to Dinner Plain):

- Hotham to Dinner Plain 'ski trail' 13km one way - apparently used for xc skiing but an interesting walk in summer?
- Dinner Plain to Mount Tabletop? 10km return but apparently partially untracked
- Brandy Creek mine to Cobungra river 8km return
- Precipice Plain via Dinner Plain track

I think they'll be keen for 2-3 days walking at most - are any of these particular standouts or are there other day walks in the area I've overlooked? Thanks :)
overlandnoob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Best day walks around Dinner Plain/Hotham?

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 6:19 am

Feathertop via the Razorback is closer to Dinner Plain. It's a popular daywalk and you can always turn around before the end if it's too much for any part of the group. The Loch circuit is good - going down via Machinery Spur and then up either along the river to Cobungra Gap and up Swindlers or the longer route up past Westins before joining the AAWT near Mt Jim and reaching Cobungra Gap via the Basalt Temple.
The section of the AAWT that goes up past St Bernard and over the Twins is good, although there may be 4wds using the vehicle track section in summer. There's also an old pad that climbs over the summit of Blowhard that's a really pleasant short walk. The Dinner Plain ski trail is a good summer walk, plenty of wildflowers.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby neilmny » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 7:09 am

Get yourself a copy the map Spatial Visions "Bogong Alpine Area" outdoor recreation guide.
Shown on it "Around Dinner Plain and Mount Hotham" walks 7 to 11 are all easily accessible from
Dinner Plain.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stansi » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:29 am

A link to some track notes that may be useful.
http://www.mthotham.com.au/events-activ ... -notes.asp
stansi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby overlandnoob » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 2:08 pm

Ah thank you guys - sounds like definitely have a look at the Cobungra and maybe have a crack at feathertop for at least some of us :)
overlandnoob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria