Scenic Rim Lederderg Gorge

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Scenic Rim Lederderg Gorge

Postby GregR » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 3:18 pm

Can anybody inform me of the current track condition of this walk. Is the navigation as straight forward as the maps and books make it out to be. I have only ever walked up past Grahams Dam to the start point of the spur track. I am planning on having a "gentle" stroll through there on Saturday with a group of regular battle hardened walkers.

My knees are already on strike at the thought of it, but I'd appreciate some recent track observations if anybody has walked the track in recent weeks.

Cheers.

Greg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Scenic Rim Lederderg Gorge

Postby axcarmil » Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi GregR,

My husband and I walked the scenic rim about a month ago. It is straight forward to navigate. It is clearly marked and because it is a relatively popular walk the tracks are well used. Although we took a map, we had no need to refer to it. We walk in Lerderderg frequently, and most of the tracks are reasonably well marked, particularly the ones that are used frequently. We walked the rim in the opposite direction to the way others describe the walk. From Grahams Dam we went up Link Track 1. This is very steep and would be very slippery descending because of the loose shale underfoot. Personally, I'd much prefer to ascend this track than descend it. I think descending it would be tough on knees. At the top of the link track, it is obvious when you have reached the Blackwood Ranges track (it is essentially a wide fire trail 'road'). This is a easy walk after the tough ascent of the link track. There are also some good views across the park. The beginning of Long Point track is clearly marked. It is the second track from the Link Track on the right (the first track is Link Track 2). Descending down Long Point track offers some really nice views of the park that are missed when climbing up this track. Crossing the river was no problem as there was very little water flowing down that end of the river a month ago. From the weir, you head up the road. This is a tough boring walk. The beginning of the Spur track is clearly marked on the right hand side. This track is easy to follow and will take you down to the river and eventually back to Grahams Dam. I hope you enjoy the walk.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby THREEPOINT » Thu 11 Dec, 2014 12:06 pm

HI Greg

It's been a couple of years since I walked this, but navigation wise it is easy. Once you get to the top of Spur track, the rest up until Long Point track is basically all a gravel road.

Long Point is straight up the spur that connects to the Diversion Dam and the top of Long Point track is another gravel Road. I can't imagine anywhere that could be overgrown to the point of not being straighforward.

But if your knees are complaining already wait until you head back down one of the Link tracks :)
THREEPOINT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GregR » Thu 11 Dec, 2014 8:47 pm

But if your knees are complaining already wait until you head back down one of the Link tracks

Its that very thought that have my knees on strike! I am led to believe the swimming holes at the bottom of the Link track have magical recuperative powers... I am hoping this the case!! :oops:
GregR

Postby axcarmil » Fri 12 Dec, 2014 7:55 am

Hi, I submitted a reply two days ago, but as I am a new user and that it was my first post, it needed to be approved. However, as it has not appeared I thought I'd try again (in case it is lost). Hopefully, you will see this message before your walk tomorrow.

I walked this a about a month ago with my husband. As has been said navigation is straightforward. I recommend walking the rim in the opposite direction - i.e., ascend the Link Track 1, walk along Blackwood Ranges Track, down Long Point, up the Road, down the Spur Track. Link Track 1 is very steep and there is a lot of loose shale. Descending this track would be much harder on the knees than ascending, whereas the descent down the Spur Track is not nearly as taxing on the knees and is a more pleasant way to finish the walk. I also think the views you get walking going down Long Point are quite scenic and are more likely to be missed when ascending this track.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby GregR » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks for that, but sadly I didn't see it till after the walk. I agree I would have preferred it in reverse.

It was beastly hot that day and I was so glad to get into Grahams dam after we got down the Link track. Almost didn't take off my boots!!

To top things off on returning to the car, I had a large Tek screw embedded in a rear tyre and spent some serious minutes staring at the not so scenic rim in disgust at the carpark. Great way to end a hot hard day out. Lying on hot bitumen trying to change a flat with sore knees and leg cramps. I said " Oh dear!" several times!!
GregR

Postby wildlight » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm guessing that the rim holding the deflated tyre would have been the less scenic of those on offer…
Cheers
WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregR » Tue 20 Jan, 2015 6:59 am

wildlight wrote:I'm guessing that the rim holding the deflated tyre would have been the less scenic of those on offer…
Cheers
WildLight

Yep- got it in one! :lol:
GregR

Return to Victoria