sheepyard flat to Mt Howitt by foot: Which route?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

sheepyard flat to Mt Howitt by foot: Which route?

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi
If I leave my car at Sheepyard flat and take my pack and hike , then what is the best way to reach Mt Howitt and MacAlister Springs on foot this way ? I know it will take a few nights to reach Macalister Springs this way but please offer me some suggestions. I have the desire to walk this way , this summer so that I can do it in snow shoes next July 2015.
I have the SV map of the region.
Thanks for any advice.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Re: sheepyard flat to Mt Howitt by foot: Which route?

Postby bernieq » Fri 12 Sep, 2014 2:05 pm

Best? as in quickest? or most interesting? or easiest to navigate?

There are quite a few options. Easiest is the Howqua Feeder Track - essentially, along the Howqua R to the bottom of Bindaree Tk then either continue on the Feeder Tk (up the Howitt Spur) or head up Helicopter Spur/Mt Magdala/Big Hill/Mt Howitt).

Why not drive a bit further along Brocks Road from SYF to Eight Mile Creek and park there (less road walking).

An alternative is to head up to Bluff Hut and then east along the ridgeline to the top of Helicopter Spur (not in winter, though).

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ErichFromm » Fri 12 Sep, 2014 3:50 pm

I second the suggestion that you drive further. I once walked from Jamieson hut back to Sheepyard via the road and would never do it again.

2WD will safely get to eight mile Creek and even further (Refrigerator gap for example).

Another crazy option would be to do the Lickhole Track leaving from SYF, to Jamieson hut and then up Mt Howitt way.
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Sat 13 Sep, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tunnel Spur, Eagles, Eight Mile Gap, Bluff, and you're there (almost-it's a big walk). If you are determined to walk from Sheepyard, that is. Me, I would go with the suggestions to drive a bit further, but I don't think that's what you want. Could park at Eight Mile Ck down low and climb up Eight Mile Spur to the bluff as a shorter option.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 15 Sep, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi,
I am not set on Sheepyard flat as a 2 WD parking point of embarkation for a hike to Mac. Springs. If 8 mile Creek is possible to reach for a modest 2 WD then bring it on. What about water supply top up points along the way ?
Thanks
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Mon 15 Sep, 2014 4:58 pm

8 mile Gap is easily done in a 2wd. I was there a fortnight ago and the road is in good condition.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Tue 16 Sep, 2014 3:37 pm

Or go a little further along the Bluff Link Rd (T/L at 8 Mile Gap) to the car park just past Refrigerator Gap. Should still be easy 2wd.

Climb The Bluff and away you go. Should be water at or near Bluff Hut.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 16 Sep, 2014 8:03 pm

HI
Thanks for that . I will try for 8 mile gap or refrigerator gap by 2WD. I have the SV map of the area. I would say one night camping en route would make the approach to Mac Springs more leisurely, as long as I can find water along the way. It may have to wait until early 2015. I am going trekking in NW India soon.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 15 Dec, 2014 9:13 pm

I think I will drive 8 mile gap and hike up to the Bluff hut , day two trek to Mac Springs along the ridge line .I would probably follow the same way back.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 8:00 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I think I will drive 8 mile gap and hike up to the Bluff hut , day two trek to Mac Springs along the ridge line .I would probably follow the same way back.

Easy Peasy !! I love that part of Vic.!!

Remember, you don't have to leave your car at 8 Mile Gap. The road toward the Bluff from the gap is usually pretty good and takes you to a rustic car park just past Refrigerator Gap, from which you can climb the Bluff. If you park at the Gap, you will end up walking along the road to this car park to start your climb anyway.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 10:39 pm

Thanks for the tip. The Bluff hut to mac Springs looks like a reasonable distance on the map, but you say it is easy for a whole day of walking carrying a pack.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 6:19 am

Apologies. "Easy Peasy" is just another saying along the lines of "all fixed"., "all organised" "no problems" and so on. Not meant to be a comment on the difficulty of the walk.

That said, your plan seems to me quite doable and not difficult. Enjoy :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 9:58 am

Is there water near the Bluff Hut? Will it be flowing during early Jan.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Dec, 2014 8:31 am

There are soaks not that far away. Can't remember whether there's a tank there or not. I know I topped up my water there a couple of times, so I would tend to think there must be . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby stry » Fri 19 Dec, 2014 8:35 pm

Yep. I'm pretty sure there used to be a tank at the hut. And soaks downhill to the north. However, to my great surprise, I think it has been ten years since I was at the hut - time flies !!!
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 7:02 pm

I went on this planned trip on 2,3,4,5/1/15 and was told in Mansfield at the information centre that there was no reliable water available along the Bluff to Mt Howitt / Mac. Springs ridge line at present. So I went and climbed Mt Howitt up the Howitt spur :-0
from the Upper Howqua campsite. That was a tough, tough hike and in that summer heat it was testing me past my limit.It took me 6.5 hours to go from the car to Mac . Springs just as darkness was approaching. The sunset views from Mt Howitt were rather grand.
I wonder if you can get a 2 WD up to 8 mile gap in July?. Do they close the road and if so where is the last 2 wd point heading for the Bluff. I want to snow shoe my way across the Bluff in winter at least along the 5.5 km rack/area above refrigerator gap to the Bluff hut..
I now figure the only feasible way to snow shoe across the Cross cut saw in winter would be to come in from the Whitfield end via Mt Speculation. The Howitt Rd. and the upper Howqua access points are both shut in winter.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 9:38 pm

That would have been a real slog in the heat !!!

So did you come back along the Bluff from Mac Springs ? Water ? Like the cautious advice that you received, I wouldn't encourage anyone to gamble on water, but I would gamble myself. Worst case scenario would be dropping down a fair way and maybe having to change plans.

If you approach 8 Mile Gap via Sheepyard and Brocks Road, there are no winter closures until past the car park which is west of Ref Gap. The gate is a short distance past the car park, which is 2wd able most of the year. You can encounter snow at 8 Mile Gap, and around to the car park. I have encountered snow on several occasions, but never been stopped by it. The odds favour you, but it would be wise to check the weather and local info before you leave home.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 6:19 am

stry wrote:If you approach 8 Mile Gap via Sheepyard and Brocks Road, there are no winter closures until past the car park which is west of Ref Gap. The gate is a short distance past the car park, which is 2wd able most of the year. You can encounter snow at 8 Mile Gap, and around to the car park. I have encountered snow on several occasions, but never been stopped by it. The odds favour you, but it would be wise to check the weather and local info before you leave home.

And I've got a 4wd stuck in deep snow up past 8 Mile Gap, and not purely through bad driving.
My advice would be not to try taking a 2wd past the Gap carpark if there's much in the way of snow on the road. If it's clear it should be driveable all the way to the Bluff carpark, although treefalls are common along that road.
It's a good walk from the 8 Mile carpark over the ridgetop to Refrigerator, much more pleasant than walking along the road.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 07 Jan, 2015 6:22 pm

I returned the same route so I had cooler weather and enough water for the return leg back down the Howitt spur trail. There was hardly anybody at Mac. Springs and I slept in the Gantner hut on Sat. night. There was nobody else in the hut. There was a violent Thunderstorm with strong winds and heavy rain that night, so that was better than being a in a tent.
I never chance it with water. I must have 4 litres min. with me for the day and there MUST be water at the next campsite. If I can top up water en route then that is even better.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria