I'm coming in from Sweden tomorrow and I need tips/help

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

I'm coming in from Sweden tomorrow and I need tips/help

Postby ludberg » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 7:48 am

Hi

I'm coming to Melbourne tomorrow from Sweden where I'm attending a conference for a couple of days.

I brought with me my hammock and I'm hoping to find some nice places to hang (if it is even legal?)

If someone could shed some light on my questions regarding hammocking I would gladly buy you a beer!

Where is it OK to use a hammock?
Do I need to be afraid of the wildlife? Here in Sweden we have nothing remotely dangerous
Can you give me tips on some nice places to visit and stay the night?

Big thanks!
Anders
ludberg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: I'm coming in from Sweden tomorrow and I need tips/help

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 9:07 am

Most of our dangerous wildlife can be avoided by hammocking. We have lots of things that bite and sting but nothing like wolves or bears that could kill and eat you. Wary but not afraid I would say
How long will you be here for? Are you outfitted for stealth camping>?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 9:17 am

Hej och välkommen. Most dangers are from small thing. Treat all snakes as naty - avoid. Mosquitoes, bugs, and the like can be thwarted by wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt. A broad brim hat should be worn. Unless the tree is damaged by a hammock I can’t see why one should not be used. There may be specific regulations in some places. One hazard that has claimed a few lives is traffic. In Australia we drive on the left, so look right before crossing a road. Skal.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 9:28 am

You are not going to be able to hang your hammock in Melbourne CBD or for a good distance around it. ;)

In terms of where to go, that'll depend on what form of transport you'll have or care to take. For somewhere relatively close, maybe the Dandenong Ranges.
http://www.visitmelbourne.com/Regions/Y ... es/Camping

If you have a car, much more will be on offer.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ludberg » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for your input. I'll have until Dec 20 to enjoy the freedom of my hammock. After that, when my wife arrives, city life begins again.

As far as transportation goes I'm up for pretty much anything, trains, coaches, or renting a car.
There is no need for me to stay I Melbourne.

Since I'm in Australia because of a conference I only have the most basic equipment with me, and I have to carry with me bulky stuff such as the suit, shirts, and computer.
That being said I thing the best would be to find some fairly accessible places and try to do some mini walks rather than one long.

Any suggestions? :)
ludberg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 4:33 pm

Part of the Great Ocean Walk then, get down to Geelong and I'll drop you down the coast.
Not sure about hammocks tho at the dedicated camp sites as i haven't done the walk myself
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 5:34 pm

One solution with business gears is to ask the hotel and see if they are willing to store it for you for a period, possibly free. Ask. Given it's summer here, be prepared on the hydration front. It can get very hot with possible bushfire danger. So shorter walks will be safer for you until you are more familiar with the land.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ludberg » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks for the valuable information!

I've looked at the Great Ocean Walk and it seems suitable for me. Still can't figure out if I can use my hammock on the camp sites or not. Guess I have to call them once I arrive.

Two general questions.
Is it legal to use a hammock all around Australia or do each park have different regulations? Most park web sites writes about tents...
Is camping only legal in parks or am I allowed to put up my hammock/tent outside of parks?
ludberg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby madmacca » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 2:35 pm

I'd definitely recommend the Great Ocean Walk for international visitors:

* the coastline is truly iconic
* the campsites all have rainwater tanks
* the beach is an ideal refuge if there is a wildfire
* the navigation is easy.
* it is public transport accessible (V/Line bus) at both ends

This walk requires bookings, and at this time of year, starts to become very popular, so make your booking as soon as you can.

The campsites for the first few days of the GOW are very suitable for hammocking. But the vegetation changes to smaller coastal trees for the last few days, so you may need to hunt a bit more for suitable sites.

Hammocking isn't really widespread in Australia, so there aren't many rules. If something is not specifically banned, it is allowed. But there are laws about damaging trees in parks - so long as your hammocking ropes/straps are wide and well padded and don't cut into trees, you will be okay.

In Australia, much land outside of Parks (and State Forests) is privately owned, and you would need the owners permission to camp. But the best walking country is in Parks anyway. In Victoria at least, you are generally allowed to camp whereever you like in Parks (not just established campsites) - there are a few exceptions to this (I think the Great Ocean Walk is one of them).
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Victoria