Wye River Falls

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wye River Falls

Postby MickyB » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 7:52 pm

I am hoping to get down to the Otways within the next few weeks and visit Wye River Falls. Just wondering if anyone has been there and has any advice. I have found some info/notes from another site but I believe they are at least 10 years old so I was hoping for some updated info. There are another 5 or 6 falls upstream that I am also hoping to see but when looking at the map it appears they are all located in a gorge that is approx 1 - 1.5km long so not sure how possible it would be. As per forum rules publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks is not permitted so if anyone has any info can you please PM me - it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Wye River Falls

Postby wildlight » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 5:35 am

Howdy Micky B

I have been into the Wye River Falls, they are quite stunning. When you are about 40 vertical meters from the water, the nettles are quite bad. Progress was fairly straightforward from the **name deleted** road, nav was certainly no problem. The river itself is not deep where you enter it and follow it up stream to the falls.

The falls sneak up on you- they flow into the gorge on a right angle bend. They are quite scenic in terms of setting; the best time, if you get a sunny day- is late afternoon. You'll have no problems almost any time with cloudy weather photography. I'd be packing around 21mm or 24mm of glass. Was actually thinking of heading in there in a couple of weeks' time. I'd wait until there have been some rain-free days- as the water comes out "cleaner" in the shots once any run-off has settled. From where you leave the road, on the bend- it's no more than an hour in.

Wye river falls are definitely one of the nicer ones of the region.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks Wildlight. You have confirmed everything that I have researched so that really helps. I have read that the nettles and blackberries are bad so I am not looking forward to that :roll: . Have you managed to get to the falls upstream from Wye River Falls? I am hoping to get there this Friday if I can move around work commitments.

Still haven't forgotten about our catch up (if you're still up for it) - just trying to find some time (and a couple of my maps).

Thanks again.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wildlight » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 8:51 am

Hey MickyB

How did you go? I haven't been upstream of the falls, there is a block of cliffs one would have to ascend to continue upstream, last time I went there, it was with a Hasselblad, tripod and 3 lenses, not the most portable camera gear…

Now the author is not quite as portable- although he still likes to think he is! Diet and exercise, I keep telling myself…

Post up some pix if you got any. Almost any time midweek in November is good to catch up. Day time is perfect, early evenings also. Am trying to get down to the Otways to sort locations for a shoot for a client, as always, cutting such a big slice of time out of a day before Christmas is getting tricky.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:26 am

Hi wildlight,

I went to the Otways last week but didn't get to Wye River Falls. My hiking partner really wants to see them as well but he was on tour with his band up in NSW and QLD. Thought I has better do the right thing and wait until he is available. I think he is back this week so I will try to organise a day in the next week or so to get down there again(I am hoping this Friday). I ended up seeing a couple of the touristy (is that even a word?) waterfalls as well as some off track stuff. I will definitely post some pictures once I have been there.

Will PM you within a week or so for our catchup.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby MickyB » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 4:40 pm

wildlight wrote:Progress was fairly straightforward from the **name deleted** road

Hi Wildlight,

Can you remember the condition of this road? I have a 4WD but yet to fit a winch on it.

We are going to attempt it this Friday.

Cheers.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wildlight » Thu 14 Nov, 2013 5:59 am

Howdy MickyB
Mrs and I are heading to Otways this Friday late afternoon. Will be there Early Friday evening / Saturday morning if you're still in the area. The road in question- I went there in conditions similar to what we have now (lots of recent rain) and had no trouble in my Rodeo 2WD. Recalling the trip- if the road was in the same condition, my Barina would waltz it in. It is "Rd" on the map, not "Tk" which generally has more hope for 2WD (Except Low Saddle Rd, Steiners Rd etc!).

You'll do it easy. Come in from the north, it's all down hill to the coast. Then you just have to <steer> the truck, and keep it on the road. I should mention- the river will be high, and flowing swiftly. Watch out with the photography- that the silt which inevitably gets stirred up after heavy rain- can lend a cappuccino tinge to the water.

All this talk of waterfalls is tempting me to head into Lamington NP for a weekend before Christmas, just so long as the air ambulance can get me out, I am so unfit!

It's a very short walk down the spur if you keep to the crest. Just a few hundred meters. There are other stunning falls through there too, other access points from easy roads, as I am sure your enquiries have revealed..?

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Thu 14 Nov, 2013 8:21 am

wildlight - PM sent
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wildlight » Thu 14 Nov, 2013 9:08 am

Just something to ease your suffering if it looks like your getting lapped by Latté in the river: If the tint and hint of sepia (usually more pronounced at the edges of the flow) drive you batty- expose for your histogram moving slightly to the right. Remember to not exceed the limits of what your particular camera lets you pull back in processing, and this will allow for some pretty awesome channel mixing to black and white later.

The other way which may work depending on the shot itself, is to select the water with a feathered lasso, go into the hue/saturation command, select the "red" channel, spot some brown water with the eye dropper, and dial back the saturation there. Use the history brush to restore over-corrected areas, and remember to work on a copy of the file! Again- this technique s very shot-specific, so the advice is only general. Any problems or questions, post up a pic and I'll take a look at it for you.

Good luck with the endeavour- I envy you getting out there. There are some absolute pearler waterfalls out there, a mate of mine was heavily involved- in fact instrumental- in mapping them in the 70s and 80s, he put a lot of them on the map, and even managed to get some names approved. i watched him drop more than one roll of film (fully used), in the rivers there.

I never did that! I just watched my Hasselblad and tripod go down in the pool in the Aire River…

Glory Days!

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Sat 16 Nov, 2013 6:08 pm

We went to the Otways yesterday to visit a few falls but unfortunately we didn't make it to Wye River Falls. We drove along Mt Sabine Road and turned onto the road we needed but there was a locked gate preventing us from driving any further. I am not sure why it was closed as the sign stated it should have been open from the start of the month. We contemplated walking from the car but estimated it would add 5-6kms onto a round trip. As it was about 3.30pm and with Wildlight's estimate of an hour in from the road to the falls and at least an hour out we concluded that there was a good chance of running out of daylight and maybe we should leave it for the next trip.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wildlight » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Micky B
We were wondering how you got on. We went with a similar approach to some different falls, aware of a very labour-saving short cut track, accessible by driving up a road subject to seasonal openings or closures, depending on which side of the gate you are on.

The road was locked off- and we put it down to "schoolies' starting"- maybe the young-uns have been given a smaller area in which to get their cars stuck…

We ended up visiting a couple of waterfalls in the back blocks of Lorne, still it took the complete afternoon, walking (struggling) 4x the distance I had prepped my head for.

I popped my day pack on the scale when we got home today, 18KG with no food or water therein… no it wasn't all cash for the air ambulance pilot! It was only one DSLR body (d800e) and a swag of Nikon primes and Pro zooms. I also popped my Coolpix in there.

But the flow was good, water was clean, we were quite high up in the catchment. "Next time" I say… "next time it will be done differently…"

All in all a great trip. Holler when you want to check out some maps. I went on memory alone, not a map or mapping software in sight, on our trip. I was dreading seeing the reality of the closeness of the contour lines, compared to the ample spacing between them in my memory!

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 2:36 pm

wildlight wrote:The road was locked off- and we put it down to "schoolies' starting"- maybe the young-uns have been given a smaller area in which to get their cars stuck…

Our theory was they were closed due to the amount of rain we had last week. From what we could see the track was in great condition. Not sure what it was like further down. Closed as a precaution maybe??
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby MickyB » Sat 23 Nov, 2013 2:29 pm

Just found this info on Parks Victoria website:

Some seasonal road closures slated to end on 31 October 2013 have been extended until 30 November 2013 due to extensive rain causing wet and unsafe track conditions. See Map 28: Otway East and Map 29: Otway West for locations of these extended closures.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... ional-park

Probably should have looked before we went :roll: .
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby blast4 » Wed 15 Oct, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi Guys , i went to Wye river falls on my own once . Drove down track to find entry with pink ribbon. Followed ribbon all way to bottom . Just before river you have to slide down a small dirt cliff . TAKE NOTE . remember this or you will lose ribbon mark to get out. When i got to river i tied a ribbon in middle of river as this is where i entered from bush . Had i not done this id have never got out that day .. i was so nervous when i couldn't find way out but as i had tied ribbon i persisted to find where i came in as it was right at that ribbon .. then finally i found the cliff i slid down .. what a relief as i had forgotten i did that .. i went quick as i was fit and covered full trip in 1 hour flat .. anyway Then rock hopped 1 km down gorge to fall . Best falls ever. Gorge is eerie and wicked .. saw no blackberries so i don't know what your on about ... here is a video of trip on youtube ..wye falls near end ...enjoy .. wish i was fit enough to go again now I'm a photographer :(
blast4
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby blast4 » Wed 15 Oct, 2014 9:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIiR48_Xp3o enjoy guys .. id love to go again if your keen .. feel free to ask any questions
blast4
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MickyB » Fri 17 Oct, 2014 8:06 am

Welcome to the forum blast4.

Thanks for sharing the youtube clip. They do look great. We still haven't attempted the trip since last November but we will get there.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dplanet » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:22 pm

wildlight wrote:Hi Micky B
We were wondering how you got on. We went with a similar approach to some different falls, aware of a very labour-saving short cut track, accessible by driving up a road subject to seasonal openings or closures, depending on which side of the gate you are on.
The road was locked off

Confirm. This allows about one and a half hours to walk in and back out on the kforest rd.
blast4 wrote:Hi Guys , i went to Wye river falls on my own once . Drove down track to find entry with pink ribbon. Followed ribbon all way to bottom . Just before river you have to slide down a small dirt cliff . TAKE NOTE . remember this or you will lose ribbon mark to get out. When i got to river i tied a ribbon in middle of river as this is where i entered from bush . Had i not done this id have never got out that day .. i was so nervous when i couldn't find way out but as i had tied ribbon i persisted to find where i came in as it was right at that ribbon .. then finally i found the cliff i slid down .. what a relief as i had forgotten i did that .. i went quick as i was fit and covered full trip in 1 hour flat .. anyway Then rock hopped 1 km down gorge to fall . Best falls ever. Gorge is eerie and wicked .. saw no blackberries so i don't know what your on about ... here is a video of trip on youtube ..wye falls near end ...enjoy .. wish i was fit enough to go again now I'm a photographer :(

Other updates:

There were two ribbons at the start of the foot pad and they were a few metres apart. The first ribbon was the right forest track, which led down to the river.

There was a rope line, which was tied to trees, to help getting down the river and back up again. It is important to take a waypoint and/or to tie a handkerchief here (in the middle of the river as discussed). There were bberries and nettles.
Attachments
WR.jpg
WR.jpg (250.72 KiB) Viewed 37454 times
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby MickyB » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 2:38 pm

dplanet wrote:This allows about one and a half hours to walk in and back out on the kforest rd.

Not much luck with your timing dplanet . According to the Parks Vic website that road should have re-opened last Thursday (30/10)

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... Map20C.pdf
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dplanet » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 3:22 pm

My friend and I wondered if it will be and I hope that it is. There was a pile of huge logs down across the rd and these logs were located just a short distance after the gate.
dplanet

Postby MickyB » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 5:52 pm

dplanet wrote:There was a pile of huge logs down across the rd and these logs were located just a short distance after the gate

Is there any chance of getting around them in a vehicle or is it completely impassable?
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dplanet » Tue 11 Nov, 2014 2:52 pm

A Bond's vehicle style is needed to get over it. Will try to come in via the north next time.
dplanet

Postby phs » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:44 am

Hi Fellow bush walkers !

Very keen to give this a shot, have some experience in remote wild type country mostly in Tassi but this is not that far I have a great set of digital maps and can see a few spots that may be good for entering of that " RD "
If any one has a GPS CO entry point that would be great please PM me

Cheers
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MickyB » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 1:05 pm

phs wrote:Hi Fellow bush walkers !

Very keen to give this a shot, have some experience in remote wild type country mostly in Tassi but this is not that far I have a great set of digital maps and can see a few spots that may be good for entering of that " RD "
If any one has a GPS CO entry point that would be great please PM me

Cheers

PM sent
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ctvu » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 11:43 am

Hi All,

I am a newbie here, and I've only done Lamington Nation Park hiking recently alone, no GPS, that is why I got lost so many times :( .
is the Wye River Falls track "easy" for a newbie like me or have to have a decent hiking experience? Thanks

Cheers
ctvu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby WillKendrick » Sun 25 Nov, 2018 8:02 pm

ctvu wrote:Hi All,

I am a newbie here, and I've only done Lamington Nation Park hiking recently alone, no GPS, that is why I got lost so many times :( .
is the Wye River Falls track "easy" for a newbie like me or have to have a decent hiking experience? Thanks

Cheers

Hey mate, from what I've heard the track has been cleared and should be pretty easy to follow at the moment. When I last did it in 2016 there were trees down everywhere- needed our own rope to get to the river. There's a few bushwalking clubs that have done the hike down there recently.
WillKendrick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ctvu » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 6:45 am

Hi William,
Thanks for the prompt response and help.
I am really impressed and inspired by your youtube which I have been watching your footages/ trekking to the waterfalls, I really love to explore.
Would you/ or anyone please pm me the entry point how to get there etc. that would be really appreciated.

Cheers

ps: should I get a handheld gps to be safe? thanks
ctvu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby WillKendrick » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 9:29 am

ctvu wrote:Hi William,
Thanks for the prompt response and help.
I am really impressed and inspired by your youtube which I have been watching your footages/ trekking to the waterfalls, I really love to explore.
Would you/ or anyone please pm me the entry point how to get there etc. that would be really appreciated.

Cheers

ps: should I get a handheld gps to be safe? thanks

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the videos. Will PM you the details, I personally would get a GPS for the peace of mind. :D
WillKendrick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ctvu » Mon 26 Nov, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you William very much.
ctvu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MickyB » Sun 09 Dec, 2018 6:52 pm

I can confirm the track has been cleared. As others have mentioned make sure you take note of where the track meets the river.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby HeathB » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:03 pm

I agree great Youtube clips! I am also looking to head to these falls and take a few photos. I have some maps for this area but any specific info that would help would be great. I will have a GPS when I make the trip.
Cheers
HeathB
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to Victoria