The best of the Dandenongs in 20 km's!

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The best of the Dandenongs in 20 km's!

Postby Dutchy » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi guys,
Living in the Dandenongs I'm starting to try out some different walks. Many of the "regular walks" are short or stick to one particular area... Not this one! Great gardens, tall timber and tiny towns.....its all there!
We did a walk we set out ourselves today, and it turned out great! Lots of different types of vegetation, mainly walking track and fire trails, any unsealed roads are generally foresty and quiet. So for those looking for a longer walk close to Melbourne, here's a description!

Starting point Olinda Falls carpark, Falls Rd, Kalorama. Easy to find from either Canterbury Rd (Montrose) or Burwood Hwy (Upper Ferntree Gully via Olinda).

For those keen to make this a more than 20 km walk, the short stroll to the falls is worth a look. From the car park follow the unsealed rd (falls rd) down hill, cross over the creek to a Y-intersection (approx 500m). On your left is a small car park and a gate to Mathias Rd. Here there is 2 options.
Option 1: those who want to look at the Rhododendron Gardens can follow the unsealed rd to the entrance about 1 km away or if slightly more adventurous, jump the fence! (free entry regardless!) I know what we did.... Upon exiting the gardens, turn left along the now sealed road. Within a few 100 meters you get to Olinda - Monbulk Rd, turn left here.
Option 2: through National Park, walk into Mathias Rd from the little carpark, take the first track on your left after about 1.5 km, then left into Sequoia Tk, right into Dam Rd, then right into Woolrich Rd. Then left onto Olinda-Monbulk Rd.
Follow Olinda Monbulk Rd until you see "Old rd" on the right. Turn in here which brings you back to the main road and cross into "Old Coonara Rd". You will once again get to the main road which you follow to Hackett Rd on the right. Turn into this unsealed road which winds steepy down to Perrins Ck Rd through tall Mountain Ash. You pass Pirianda Gardens (Ansell house) which again could be worth a look. At the end of Hackett turn left and quickly right into Boucher Lane. Here a marked walking track leads to the left. Follow this narrow track along the creek through ferns untill your cross the sealed rd (Sassafras Ck Rd). The track continues on the other side. Follow this track until it once again crossed a sealed road, and continue uphill until you reach the town of Sassafras.
You pass the public toilets (for those in need!) and cross the road, walk briefly along Mountain Hwy (100 meters) and walk into the parallel road called "Old Coach Rd". Go past the gate into the National Park. Turn hard right into Horse track and left following this track ignoring School tk on the right. Turn right into Bradley until you reach the water tanks. A quick left, then right onto the unsealed road (Basin-Olinda Rd).
A few 100 meters later turn left into Dandenong Creek Track. Follow this track ignoring side tracks. When you reach Toroa Rd that goes right and steep uphill, go left (down hill) and stick right at the next intersection just 20 meters away. Follow this track (channel 10 track) until Zig Zag track veers right. Go up here and follow this staying below the Mt Dandenong towers. Ignore tracks on the right. Follow Kyeema Tk and turn left towards the monument for a plane crash. Follow the track (that runs below Sky High) untill you get to the main road where you'll see a green house. Cross the main road into the Mt Dandenong Arboretum. Follow the grassy tracks along the houses (straight down hill) which gets you to Mount Dandenong Tourist Road. Cross the tourist road and walk down Mechanics Tk, cross an unsealed road following Mechanics Tk. The next unsealed road is Falls Rd, turn left and you are back with your car!
This is a great longer walk showing many different areas of the Dandenong ranges. We took 5 hours with breaks, 4 hours walking according to my gps. 20.5 kms total, I would consider this an easy-moderate walk depending on fitness level and weather situation.
If you end up dong this walk, let me know what you think!!!!
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: The best of the Dandenongs in 20 km's!

Postby MickyB » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 9:57 am

Sound like a great walk Dutchy. I have done done some of these sections but not all. It's a great area and the good thing about the Dandenongs is there are plenty of options for tracks. Another one I want to try is the track at the end of Telopea Rd in Emerald. It starts off following Menzies Creek and it takes you from Emerald to Monbulk and then to Kallista. From Kallista you can either go up to Sassafras or through Sherbrooke Forest to either Belgrave or to Ferny Creek.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby neilmny » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 4:59 pm

I think it's called the DNRPT Tourist Track MickyB.
I might give it a bash myself one day.
There's heaps of good walking in the Dandenongs it only took me about 30 years of living here to realise it. :lol:

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... tTrack.pdf
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... rist-track
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 6:47 pm

neilmny wrote:I think it's called the DNRPT Tourist Track

Thanks neilmny. I have lived up here for about 14 years and never knew it had a name. To be honest I've never even heard of the DNRPT Tourist Track. :roll: I have done most sections of this track but never in one day. There are some great fern gullies along the track. The section between Beagleys Bridge and Monbulk contains 1 of only 48 known specimens in Victoria of Skirted Tree Fern (Cyathea marcescens). There is another one in Sherbrooke Forest.

neilmny wrote:There's heaps of good walking in the Dandenongs

It's amazing how many there are. I am finding new tracks all the time and heaps of things to discover.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 6:27 pm

I walked the Mechanics Track for the first time this arvo for a bit of exercise after a day seated in the orifice working.
It's a really nice bit track but obviously well used. Started at Mount Dandy Tourist Rd. down to the falls and back.
Startled/startled by a Lyrebird which was on a big fallen tree butt at head height less than a metre away.
I scared him he scared me, fairly even I reckon. There a some cracking big Mountain Ash standing along the way too.
Pardon the crappy phone photo.

24092013(027).jpg
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 7:27 pm

I spent a good 2 minutes looking for the lyrebird. Then I realised that this is the big tree instead.
When was the last time they clearcut that area? It must be at least 50 years now.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dutchy » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 7:52 pm

I live about 100 m from the olinda falls carpark ;-) love it there!!! And yes, some tall timber there, although most of it was felled in the last 50 years, there is some that are quite a bit older! They escaped the saws somehow....
Dont be put off by the description of the walk i described... I've stuck to naming roads and tracks rather than scenery! It really is a great walk with lots of variety!!!
I'll post some more walks as I do them!

For those looking for free maps or with telstra reception..... melways has brilliant online maps, the walking tracks are clearly marked and (so far) very accurate....
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 8:09 pm

It seems that logging ceased around 1907 as the region was considerd "logged out"
Park notes state that a lot of the regrowth around the Dandenongs is since severe fires in 1920.

Oops not trying to steal your thunder..............It seems we were typing at the same time Dutchy.....that would be a great spot to live.
The tracks out the back of Mount Dandy are my favourite exercise area. Theres nothing like a wander down off Woolrich Lookout
into the valley then back up again to get the heart rate up and the views are pretty darn good too.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dancier » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 11:27 am

MickyB wrote:Sound like a great walk Dutchy. I have done done some of these sections but not all. It's a great area and the good thing about the Dandenongs is there are plenty of options for tracks. Another one I want to try is the track at the end of Telopea Rd in Emerald. It starts off following Menzies Creek and it takes you from Emerald to Monbulk and then to Kallista. From Kallista you can either go up to Sassafras or through Sherbrooke Forest to either Belgrave or to Ferny Creek.

I'm slowly walking the Dandenongs, so far I've created the GPS logs below, do you have any different GPS logs of walks in the same area.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2226578

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2259303

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1770604
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 7:20 pm

dancier wrote:
MickyB wrote:Sound like a great walk Dutchy. I have done done some of these sections but not all. It's a great area and the good thing about the Dandenongs is there are plenty of options for tracks. Another one I want to try is the track at the end of Telopea Rd in Emerald. It starts off following Menzies Creek and it takes you from Emerald to Monbulk and then to Kallista. From Kallista you can either go up to Sassafras or through Sherbrooke Forest to either Belgrave or to Ferny Creek.

I'm slowly walking the Dandenongs, so far I've created the GPS logs below, do you have any different GPS logs of walks in the same area.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2226578

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2259303

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1770604

I have no GPS logs. I generally walk in the Sherbrooke Forest area. There are heaps of tracks that can be linked up. If you stay clear of the Grant's Picnic Ground area and O'Donohue Track (which leads to the falls) you don't normally see anyone else.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... nic-ground

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... brooke.pdf

MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby MickyB » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 5:45 pm

Went on a short walk to to wind down after a very, very looooooooong week. Parked at O'Donohue Picnic Ground (which I normally avoid) and started off along O'Donohue Track and then onto Hillclimb Track. I past the falls but the bridge is still closed after a tree fell across it many months ago. It looks like they are close to finishing a new bridge. I went about 3/4 of the way along Hillclimb Track towards Micawber Tavern. As tempting as it was to keep walking and get a beer I turned around and headed back towards the car. On the way back I took Wattle and Lloyds Track.
Attachments
Burls on tree.jpg
Burls on tree (I thinks that's what it's called)
Burls on tree.jpg (208.8 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
Tall Mountain Ash.jpg
Tall Mountain Ash.jpg (272.37 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
Tall.jpg
Tall.jpg (149.72 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
New frond of Hard Water Fern (Blechnun wattsii).jpg
New frond of Hard Water Fern (Blechnun wattsii).jpg (119.12 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
New fronds emerging on Soft Tree Fern (Dicksonia antarctica).jpg
New fronds emerging on Soft Tree Fern (Dicksonia antarctica).jpg (138.99 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby MickyB » Fri 27 Sep, 2013 5:47 pm

A couple more...
Attachments
Eastern yellow robin.jpg
King Parrot.jpg
King Parrot.jpg (224.14 KiB) Viewed 10266 times
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Victoria