Bogan-meter: campgrounds to avoid or to see in VIC

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Bogan-meter: campgrounds to avoid or to see in VIC

Postby Happy Pirate » Sun 01 Sep, 2013 9:10 pm

neilmny wrote::shock: Egads you've seen right through me Steve......NOT! :lol: :lol:
And of which archery club are you a member as you are clearly an exponent of the long bow :lol: :lol:

**Draw** Release** --------(neilmny clutches chest with arrow waving as triumph)

Umm ..... was there any other way you'd like this discussion to go???
Steve

(neilmny staggers to his feet and yodels his cry of challenge as he plucks an arrow from his chest in defience and a million followers rise up in support...)
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Avatar » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 8:44 pm

Anyone got a rating on Murrindindi Scenic Reserve? DSE have done a lot of nice work on the facilities. $7 per night.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby neilmny » Thu 05 Sep, 2013 4:53 am

Pot luck Avatar, if a car can get there anyone can get there.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Minne Ha Ha Falls - Albert River - Hiawatha Picnic Reserve

Postby waterfallman » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 8:40 pm

If camping in the "off peak times", you are fairly safe for a quiet time. But avoid camping here at Easter, Christmas, New years, Public Holidays etc.. Fills up with Beer drinking/swilling, gun toting, dirtbike riding, axe swinging, noise making drunkards & bogans. A couple of nice people are there as well, but the rest are intolerable.
Cheers all.
waterfallman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Happily retired!
Region: Tasmania

Postby madmacca » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 9:51 pm

Avatar wrote:Anyone got a rating on Murrindindi Scenic Reserve? DSE have done a lot of nice work on the facilities. $7 per night.

As a designated dirt bike area, it can get very noisy. Not saying all dirt bike riders are bogans, just noisy.

Even when you climb up the sides of the hills to the falls, the noise still verberates around the valley.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby trickos » Wed 18 Sep, 2013 9:44 am

Avatar wrote:Anyone got a rating on Murrindindi Scenic Reserve? DSE have done a lot of nice work on the facilities. $7 per night.

The good thing about the area is there are a lot of camping areas and camping sites within each to pick and choose some privacy. I found the area incredibly dusty with heaps of passing cars and dirt bikes going incredibly fast. Really enjoyed the walk up to the Falls.
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby madmacca » Wed 18 Sep, 2013 10:15 am

trickos wrote:The good thing about the area is there are a lot of camping areas and camping sites within each to pick and choose some privacy. I found the area incredibly dusty with heaps of passing cars and dirt bikes going incredibly fast. Really enjoyed the walk up to the Falls.

There are some campsites further up located on the far (eastern) side of the river, which are less used because car campers can't be bothered carrying their gear across.
madmacca

Postby David M » Fri 20 Sep, 2013 8:58 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:There is no pit loo and the human waste is lurking behind many a boulder.

I can’t understand why people don’t take a cat hole trowel with them. You can get a good quality plastic garden trowel from Bunnings for a couple o’ bucks. (I use a Fiskars brand one that is as light or lighter as the dedicated poop shovels and much cheaper. I also removed the orange plug from the end of the handle and use the hollow to store an emergency supply of toilet paper.)

EDIT: The trowel I referred to is http://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-nygl ... l_p3366867 80 grams but less when you remove the orange plug and $2.48 at Bunnings AND a 25 year guarantee...
David M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Avatar » Fri 20 Sep, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks to all for those balanced and informative replies to my query.
Confirms my impressions after a couple of nights there - my first visit to a DSE reserve.
And to be fair no doubt similar observations may be made about many other reserves.
The SEC Reserve is a 200m pack carry away from the road, but then the vehicle is unattended.
Yes, the Falls walk is enjoyable. Must do Cascades to Suspension Bridge and return next time.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 6:06 pm

solo hike 74 , I was Mac. springs on a labour day long weekend and some chump head bogans had brought their large dog and had ensconced themselves in the Gantner hut. I thought to myself now only the Moon is a monger redneck chump head bogan free 'walk in ' campsite now.

" a beauty-lovers broken-heart" ...... yes well said Happy pirate !
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Previous

Return to Victoria