Overnight walks in Lerderderg State Park

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnight walks in Lerderderg State Park

Postby Iryna1805 » Sun 12 Jul, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi guys!

I'm planning a multi day hike in Lerderderg Park (approx 2-4 nights). I know the Great Dividing Trail can be completed in smaller sections but I was more interested in wilder/more remote areas closer to Lerderderg river. I'm particularly interested in combining parts of a few day walks i.e. Scenic Rim Circuit (https://www.trailhiking.com.au/the-scenic-rim/) + Bears Head Circuit (https://www.trailhiking.com.au/bears-head-circuit/) + Razorback and Ah Kow Spur Sircuit (https://www.trailhiking.com.au/razorbac ... kow-spurs/) making it either one way or a circuit hike, it seems doable track wise but I'm struggling to figure whether it's actually possible to split it into relatively equal sections making sure there's a camping spot near (not far from) water at the end of each section. If anyone has completed a similar hike in the area or has some updated info/tips, you are welcome to share and it would be greatly appreciated :) I'm also more than happy to hear about other rather remote areas of the Park, the idea is to spend around 3-4 days there and make most of it avoiding most popular places like O'Brien's Crossing etc.

Thank you all in advance!
Iryna1805
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Overnight walks in Lerderderg State Park

Postby CraigVIC » Sun 12 Jul, 2020 9:41 pm

There's an established campsite at the bottom of Bears Head where it meets the river if that is any help. I stayed there a fortnight ago, didn't see a soul. Enough room for 2 or 3 tents.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Iryna1805 » Mon 13 Jul, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks heaps for that! I thought it must be something over there :) Can't wait for lockdown to be over so that we can explore this area.. Have been there a few times for day walks and absolutely loved the Park!
Iryna1805
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tino B » Mon 13 Jul, 2020 11:27 pm

I did the Rim walk on Saturday. Even with normally very grippy boots, the rock was very slippery - I’m very glad I took poles. The climb up to the road before rejoining the track was the slipperiest part.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 4:03 pm

CraigVIC wrote:There's an established campsite at the bottom of Bears Head where it meets the river if that is any help. I stayed there a fortnight ago, didn't see a soul. Enough room for 2 or 3 tents.

How was the water situation Craig?
Take much from the car (presuming the river water is drinkable) to the spot to tent it?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 7:00 pm

The Lerderderg was flowing strongly, no problem getting water.

I'm a bit suss on it personally so I got some from the Old River which is a short distance upstream but wasn't flowing until a fair way up the trib.

Edit: just to be a bit clearer. Day 1 I carried water from the car as I started late and it was cold so no big deal. Day 2 I got water from Old River, but only because I was walking up it to the falls. It's not a convenient spot to get water for the Bears Head camp. Plus, the Lerderderg river is right there.
Attachments
20200714_184831_copy_540x230.jpg
20200714_184831_copy_540x230.jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 16890 times
CraigVIC

Postby Lamont » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 8:33 pm

CraigVIC wrote:The Lerderderg was flowing strongly, no problem getting water.

I'm a bit suss on it personally so I got some from the Old River which is a short distance upstream but wasn't flowing until a fair way up the trib.

Edit: just to be a bit clearer. Day 1 I carried water from the car as I started late and it was cold so no big deal. Day 2 I got water from Old River, but only because I was walking up it to the falls. It's not a convenient spot to get water for the Bears Head camp. Plus, the Lerderderg river is right there.

Thanks. I haven't been down that way for many a decade. I didn't even realise that there was some good walking down that way. Thought it was all just flat tracks.
Any chance you could give me a rough itinerary? Have a bit of time mid week at the minute.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 10:24 pm

I just went in and out as I had two half days for a quick night away. So it was half of one Tempest's Lerderderg daywalks called the Old River walk. Park at the end of Lohs Lane then walk along Blackwood ranges track continuing around the reference area until you get on Bears Head which is a spur down to the river with a couple of little scrambles. I camped here. In the morning I left my gear, crossed the river and just upstream followed the Old River a bit under 2km (No track but some footpads) to the falls. Then I just walked out how I came in. The full version you climb straight out of the gully at the falls off track to Hogan then complete the circuit by Ah Kow track.

The Old River is a beautiful green gully atm but not much water at the falls (I put a pic in the some waterfalls of Vic thread)
CraigVIC

Postby commando » Tue 14 Jul, 2020 11:02 pm

So glad there is a thread on the Lerderderg Gorge Area, i have been doing day trips there because i live close by and been exploring it one day at a time. photo attached looking down at the No.2 Link Track i have named the spot Eagle Rock because the twice i was there i saw eagles both times.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 15 Jul, 2020 10:07 am

CraigVIC wrote:I just went in and out as I had two half days for a quick night away. So it was half of one Tempest's Lerderderg daywalks called the Old River walk. Park at the end of Lohs Lane then walk along Blackwood ranges track continuing around the reference area until you get on Bears Head which is a spur down to the river with a couple of little scrambles. I camped here. In the morning I left my gear, crossed the river and just upstream followed the Old River a bit under 2km (No track but some footpads) to the falls. Then I just walked out how I came in. The full version you climb straight out of the gully at the falls off track to Hogan then complete the circuit by Ah Kow track.

The Old River is a beautiful green gully atm but not much water at the falls (I put a pic in the some waterfalls of Vic thread)

Thanks Craig. Much appreciated. Might work out nicely as I have to head over that way and could combine the two trips.
I did see the waterfall pic- no rain recent to pic the was there?
Should put some of mine up from the Otways only trouble is I can't remember where the hell I was most of the time.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 10:19 am

I spoke to a local who suggested that Old River should be flowing at the end of winter but I don't know the area well enough to say what amount of rain would get the falls going, they would look good though.

I think that waterfalls thread is a great resource, especially in the Otways where there are so many falls it can be difficult to figure out what is what without some reference.
CraigVIC

Postby commando » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 6:00 pm

Considering that the Lerderderg Gorge is mainly uphill or downhill, i would be setting up a remote base camp
by the river so that the onerous task of carrying a huge pack doesn't limit the possibilities or exploration maybe
near the Lerdie By Pass tunnel so you can drop off Mt Blackwood and dump the pack for some real exploring.
Yes, agreed O'Briens crossing is now an International word just like Ayers Rocks with lots of tourists so better off
steering clear of it. You could also base yourself at the Blackwood Springs Caravan and camping park as there is
numerous water race trails to be found and explored there Madame Bonford the gold fields water race administrator
cut 300 kilometres of water races around Blackwood. Byers back track is a good walk.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Iryna1805 » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:49 am

Totally agree that for a multi day hike getting in and out of the gorge every day is a hard work, but I actually now have in mind a shorter overnight walk, 3 days/2 nights, starting at Mackenzies flat, then I'd follow Blackwood range track which is a part of Scenic Rim walk, then turn left where it meets Long Point Track, then right to Bears Head Track and follow it all the way to the river and camp there the first night. Then follow the river until it meets Ah Kow Spur Track and then back to Blackwood range track/Foxy Gully Track to Long point and camp the second night at the end of long point. The 3rd day is just a walk out via Spur Track. Each day should be approx 12-13 km except for the last one which is even shorter. Would love to give it a go once lockdown is over as I live in Melb.
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience, love the photos too :)
Iryna1805
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Iryna1805 » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:58 am

These are some of the photos taken when we did Razorback, Lerderderg and Lower Chadwick Circuit in June
https://www.trailhiking.com.au/razorbac ... k-circuit/
Attachments
109923586_727356888085922_530931196235834571_n.jpg
110113418_282386559766603_1437255816978103662_n.jpg
109915336_617279918907093_3210179409436764692_n.jpg
109915336_617279918907093_3210179409436764692_n.jpg (196.73 KiB) Viewed 16637 times
Iryna1805
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby commando » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 7:07 pm

So your planning to go up the Ah Kow track then with a 20 Kilo pack? just asking as i have only
been down the Ah Kow track and needed both arms to catch a tree as you base the descent
on which tree you can grab next so you don't roll down the hill like a snowball.
Go a bit further up and exit off to Mckenzie track and ascend to Mt Blackwood to feel like a real mountaineer.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Iryna1805 » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 4:35 pm

I probably wouldn't carry a 20 kilo pack for a 3days/2 nights hike :) 13-14 max which shouldn't be too bad if packed and adjusted properly, also will depend on weather of course.
As for Mckenzies/lower chadwick track, we did this one last time so were thiking of exiting via Ah Kow to explore a bit more..
Iryna1805
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hikrazy » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 8:40 pm

400m up Clearwater gully from the river.
Very nice and quiet spot. Horseshoe bend in the river.
Bring a filter for water. Resdy made self feeding camp fire, which is handy with wet timber.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria